With update to version 16.0 the Send Link is gone.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

With update to version 16.0 the Send Link is gone.

Post by dfoulkes »

I just checked this out with my default profile, my Test profile (which has a few extensions) and another profile that is bare-bones and in all of those profiles ... when I visit a web-page and right-click on the page ... and get the context menu the Send Link is now gone.

Also, tried it all in safe-mode too.

Is it just me or has this now gone by the way-side.... or did Mozilla make another "improvement"?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Deprovement

Re: With update to version 16.0 the Send Link is gone.

Post by Deprovement »

viewtopic.php?p=12118115#p12118115 : I don't know what to do with this, so would someone please explain how to utilize this code, in order to restore a feature that i use constantly.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

df & Deprovement,
See if these help...
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2386517
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2486057
I just use the Stylish, "style."

"They" keep removing "important" features, for some unknown reason/s.
Weird.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm not sure how to handle those sample-codes for the missing Send-Link but I'll search around... if a Stylish entry works that would be fine but I already have too many extensions so I won't be installing the Menu editor.

Firefox has in its Options/Application section a Mailto line... I'll assume that that is for this... so, if Mozilla took that Send Link out but still has the Mail to in Options then it does not make sense... I must be missing something here... and I can't believe that millions of people out there don't email stuff from their browser...

Obviously, I must be missing something here ... because Mozilla can't be that stupid... or, can they... seems that they have been in the past.
Last edited by dfoulkes on October 10th, 2012, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
Re-reading that bookmarklet link, it says that it opens the desired text etc, in gmail.
So......if you don't run a gmail account?

The style & Stylish work fine.
;)
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I never used it so I'm glad it's gone from the context menu but it looks like File > Email Link is there and presents you with a list of choices. (Thunderbird, Yahoo, Gmail or Choose Application for me).
Semi-Undeprovement

Post by Semi-Undeprovement »

Thanks to the clue that Email link is in the Fx file menu, I manged a workaround: I don't know why this entry does not show in Menu Editor, but it can be placed in the Personal Menu extension.

For that matter, I don't know why I have now quite forgotten how to move things in Personal Menu from the left to the right column.

Not only that, but I have forgotten everything that I don't remember....
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks Mark.
I've just installed v16 to test it out & found that option.
It opens your default email client. No choice/s here.
;)

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yep, I see it in the File/Menu area (also, no choices... which is fine) ... but, it's much easier to just right click on the page you're on and click on Send link as opposed to going to File and clicking on Email Link... just seems to me that Mozilla keeps going backwords on some of their stuff.

LIMPET235
I already have Stylish here but any code presented in those links doesn't seem to do anything with getting that function back into the context menu... am I missing the mark here?

EDIT... I'm a Mouse user... not a KB user for stuff like this... does one just change Keyboard with Mouse in that code?

And... my question is... there has to be a ton of users out there that use Firefox and I have to believe that that ton like to email something that they find on the Net to others... before version 16.0 I would assume that they would just right-click, click Send Link and mail it... are they doing it a diff. way?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
Apparently...."They" changed something, coz the "Send link" Style does nothing in v16.
It did restore the function in v15. Was even in the right click/Context Menu. Now, it's not.
Why "They" keep changing stuff, really annoys the hell outa me."Grrrrr."

MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I probably get choices because I've never specified a default. Guess I've never clicked on a mailto link on this system LOL. Most sites seem to use contact forms now. In Options > Applications, mailto is set to always ask. Guess I just got in the habit of opening my mail program and then copying and pasting whatever URLs into the email I'm writing.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LIMPET235
You use the word hell... I was coming up with a lot more than that ... but you're kinder than I am.

I see an extension out there specifically for a Send Link icon but then I remember that I use Toolbar buttons and found one in there... I moved it onto my Tab-bar (left side along with my Compact Menu icon) and it seems to work fine... so, other than being pissed yet another time for the little (but very inconvenient and asinine) changes that Mozilla seems to make I'm good to go other than to have to retrain myself (again) due to this crap. I don't often complain except where I feel it's "almost" required ... but it seems to be hitting me more and more...

I read a lot of posts around here where users rant about some change that Mozilla has made to a perfectly good browser (the way it was) ... and most time I ignore them... but, I'm beginning to better understand their frustrations.

I'll leave it at that but I'll post the link to that extension for others to consider... I wonder when Mozilla will take away the Posting a link function?
Send Link button :: Add-ons for Firefox

And, thats for all the help-posts everybody!
Last edited by dfoulkes on October 10th, 2012, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

MarkRH wrote: Guess I just got in the habit of opening my mail program and then copying and pasting whatever URLs into the email I'm writing.

Yeah... I guess that's my point here... I don't open up my email client unless I need to do some work in there or I want to pull in any email ... but, the first thing I do when I get on this thing is read a bunch of news links, review some special vids on a site etc... and if I see something that I want to email to somebody (and that could be 20 people and it could be 6+ diff. links) I "used to" just right click anywhere on a page and click on Send Link... bam! ... TB would open up with the RE" filled in with good info and all I would have to do is click on who gets the email... then Send and TB would close that window and I would be back to the orig. Net-page... very simple and clean... no copy/paste... no hassle and Mozilla takes that away?
James

Post by James »

dfoulkes wrote:Is it just me or has this now gone by the way-side.... or did Mozilla make another "improvement"?

Old news for the Testers since early July.

For reading as Bugzilla is not a discussion forum as 239307 has enough bug spam already.
Bug 239307 - Remove "Send Link..." from context menus and see Bug 252277 comment#10
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Based on some of the posts in that first bug-link it seems that I'm not the only one who feels that this is yet another regression of Firefox... taking away usable/easy to use functions to get a job done.

Old news for the Testers since early July.

I would suspect that Testers are a very small minority as compared to the world of users... I'm sure that more complaints/posts here and other boards will surface.