No close tab button

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
vazhavandan

Re: No close tab button

Post by vazhavandan »

i installed SeaTabX but but whenever i wanted to close a tab my hand moved to the right end of the screen.
I took the clue and disabled the addon
It is all a matter of getting used to thing s i guess
I use my middle finger as my click finger on my mouse(I am right hander)
After continuous usage of mouse my index finger was sore so switched the settings and i never went back to default settings :-)
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

DJGM wrote:A close button on every tab is unnecessary. Middle click any tab, and it closes.

This all depends on whether you are using a laptop or not I reckon. Using this I can even get Twanno's excellent Tab Clicking Options to work.

DJGM wrote:SeaTabX is a pointless add-on.

No, I disagree. It is definitely not pointless for laptop/netbook users. Like all of Cat Thief's extensions/themes it is always kept bug-free & up to date. I'd miss it if it disappeared. Thank you Cat Thief.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Ironically, I posted my previous message from my laptop, but with a mouse plugged in. I much prefer
to use my standard desktop PC rather than a laptop. If I have to use a laptop for anything, I always
use it with a mouse. Using a trackpad for tabbed browsing is highly annoying. Having to use the
right click or context menu to open or close tabs feels like I'm taking a massive step backwards
to the time before the scroll wheel was added to the humble computer mouse!

BTW ... my favourite theme for SeaMonkey is Mostly Crystal ... by CatThief . . .
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

DJGM wrote:Ironically, I posted my previous message from my laptop, but with a mouse plugged in.

I do this myself sometimes. I'm not a huge fan of trackpads either. Unfortunately there are times when it isn't practical, or even possible to use a mouse.

DJGM wrote: I much prefer
to use my standard desktop PC rather than a laptop. If I have to use a laptop for anything, I always
use it with a mouse. Using a trackpad for tabbed browsing is highly annoying. Having to use the
right click or context menu to open or close tabs feels like I'm taking a massive step backwards
to the time before the scroll wheel was added to the humble computer mouse!

Yeah, the scroll wheel was a superb innovation. I tend to use my laptop without the USB mouse these days as it is difficult to use the mouse when you have a light notebook actually on your lap. On my desktop Gecko scrolls fine, but with the notebook I find that it is a tad slow compared to other rendering engines so SmoothWheel is a necessity for me.

DJGM wrote:BTW ... my favourite theme for SeaMonkey is Mostly Crystal ... by CatThief . . .

It's my favourite on my big desktop monitor. On my notebook I tend to use Early Blue a lot. I experimented with KaiRo's LCARS but it is too much for my eyes with aeroglass especially. It would look good on the bridge of the Enterprise, if they surfed with SeaMonkey I suppose.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

tried LCARS , too dark to suit my needs
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

vazhavandan wrote:tried LCARS , too dark to suit my needs

I pretty well much have Mostly Crystal as standard on my desktop, but I tend to ring the changes a bit with my notebook. I tend to use Early Blue a lot & I prefer themes that display the PrefBar (K-Meleon style) as unobtrusively as possible. Nautipolis is working well for me at the moment, regardless of its claim of not being compatible. I'm not sure if Alfred Kayser intends to keep it up to date in the future. The ridiculous Mozilla six-week upgrade/release cycle is not doing Firefox or SeaMonkey any favours IMO. I believe that Early Blue & Nautipolis are, or were either original themes or proposed Mozilla themes. The only time that I have been able to deal with the slightly psychedelic LCARS is if I have changed the theme on my computer to 'Windows Classic'. It's a bit less 'purple-ey' then. :wink:
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Did you force install Nautipolis using Nightly Tester Tools ?
therube

Post by therube »

Starting with nautipolis_for_seamonkey-1.8.56-sm.xpi, I modded install.rdf, bumping em:maxVersion="2.16a", it then installs.

Addons Manager is kind of funky looking.
Address bar too, & in particular if you're displaying both text & pictures.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

vazhavandan wrote:Did you force install Nautipolis using Nightly Tester Tools ?

No, but I do use this. Ironically, this now appears incompatible with 12.13.1! :shock:
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

therube wrote:Starting with nautipolis_for_seamonkey-1.8.56-sm.xpi, I modded install.rdf, bumping em:maxVersion="2.16a", it then installs.

Addons Manager is kind of funky looking.
Address bar too, & in particular if you're displaying both text & pictures.

As far as I can recall Mr Kayser normally keeps this theme relatively compatible. I'm having no problems with it so far. I'll tell you if anything weird happens. :wink:
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Thanks CmonkeyBloke for recommending "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3 " .It was just what i was looking for .
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

vazhavandan wrote:Thanks CmonkeyBloke for recommending "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3 " .It was just what i was looking for .

You're welcome mate. It's bloody indispensable these days!