Camino 2.1.2 and annoying message of Gmail

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Alb123

Camino 2.1.2 and annoying message of Gmail

Post by Alb123 »

Hello,
I am using Camino ver. 2.1.2 with my Mac mini G4 PPC OS X 10.4.
It works all right :D but when I open Gmail, this message appears: "You are using an old version of Firefox that Gmail no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly. Upgrade to a modern browser".
As I haven't noticed any problems using Gmail by means of Camino, I'll be grateful to you if you let me know a way to prevent that annoying message from appearing.
Best Regards
*MacMom*

Re: Camino 2.1.2 and annoying message of Gmail

Post by *MacMom* »

It went away when I clicked on the symbol next to an email to "mark it as unimportant." The annoying message (which annoyed the heck out of me, too) was replaced by the usual notification that follows my aforementioned action: "This message has been marked as unimportant."
EmptySeas

Post by EmptySeas »

That doesn't PERMANENTLY clear the error message, merely clears it for the current session: reload and - hey presto - that annoying banner reappears at the top of the page! :(
Alb123

Post by Alb123 »

Hello,
In order to make that annoying message disappear, but just for the current session, you only need to open a message in your Gmail box and immediately close it again.
I'd like to find a way, instead, to get rid of it forever.
*MacMom*

Post by *MacMom* »

What I was doing also only clears it for the current session. But I can live with that.
Thomasset

Post by Thomasset »

Hello,
I have become a fan of camino, but I have a similar message when I go to the page of club-internet.fr (alias sfr) to read my mail. The exact text which I see is :
La version de votre navigateur est obsolète. Elle ne vous permet plus une navigation optimisée et sécurisée.
Which means : The version of your navigator is obsolete. It no longer provide you with an optimized and safe navigation.
Below comes a proposal to install firefox, internet explorer or chrome.
Now I am pleased with camino and quite reluctant to change.
Is this bluff from sfr who for some reason wants to force me to change my navigator ?
Or is there really a safety issue ? Or is sfr going to become incompatible with camino some day ?
I should add that the site that I visit is : http://www.sfr.fr/portail.html
So I don't use gmail but club-internet, i.e. sfr ; however I posted here because I was feeling that the problems are related.
All the best -- FT
Last edited by Thomasset on October 3rd, 2012, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alb123

Post by Alb123 »

Have you seen? The annoying message changed its position! You can see it, now, just underneath the Bookmark Bar, so, you can't make it disappear at all but you have to put up with it during the whole session of Gmail :cry:
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

Please Moderator, tell/ask somebody at Google so we can be rid of this annoyance. It has been going on for TOO long. In the meantime I've actually switched to Safari, which I had never used and would now like to continue not using....
MacBook Pro (model 5,1; 4G RAM; 750G HD; Intel 64-bit mode)
MacBook (model 1,1; 2G RAM; 500G HD; Intel 32-bit)
Access to iBook G4 (model 6,5; 768MB RAM; 30G HD; PowerPC)
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Good luck.
ljny

Post by ljny »

I would also like to know how to get rid of this annoying message. It's distracting, it takes up valuable screen space and worst of all, I CAN'T upgrade to a modern browser as my operating system is too old. So stop with the idiot messages. Or offer a solution. This will force me back to Safari, which isn't the end of the world, but I like (liked?) Firefox better!
idahomacguy

Post by idahomacguy »

I can confirm the same problem. Our ISP got in bed with Gmail earlier this year so we see the message when we check mail via the web. It has also showed up on my wife's FaceBook page.

The Gmail browser screen has a link to a browser check that identifies Camino 2.1.2 as FireFox 3.6.

We get this on my wife's geriatric but fully functional eMac 1.42G running 10.4.11, and on my two Intel Macs, an iMac i7 quad-core and a late 2007 MacBook Pro, both running 10.6.8. So it's not a PPC v. Intel thing.

I only use Camino for sites where I need selective pop-up allowance but my wife uses it as her "all-the-time" browser.
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

Yeah . . . I'm now getting a similar 'outdated browser' message from Facebook.

It is very frustrating that a 'free' browser can drive new sales of hardware. Boy, I wish I had THAT sort of extortion available to me in my business. :wink:
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Facebook at least seems smart enough not to show the message repeatedly once you dismiss it the first time. At least, I haven't seen it since it showed up once a day or so ago.

You guys should complain to Google and suggest they do the same.

cl
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

That's not very helpful, cflawson. If you know how to do so and actually be "heard," please let us in on the secret!
MacBook Pro (model 5,1; 4G RAM; 750G HD; Intel 64-bit mode)
MacBook (model 1,1; 2G RAM; 500G HD; Intel 32-bit)
Access to iBook G4 (model 6,5; 768MB RAM; 30G HD; PowerPC)
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

I don't have any contacts at Google, if that's what you're asking, but I also don't use Gmail, so I frankly don't care if Gmail puts up annoying messages in Camino or not.