Screenshot problem - also in 32-bit Nightly?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Screenshot problem - also in 32-bit Nightly?

Post by joeg »

Philip Chee wrote:... In Mozilla land everything is a bug including enhancements and new features...
Thanks for your reply, Phil.

I guess the simple question is how can I get any of the screenshot extensions to work? It's a function I use a lot. Do I simply have to wait for all the extension devs to realize what's happened and come out with updated versions?

And will this "enhancement" make it into the next release version? If so, won't end-users be surprised and vexed that they can't save screenshots made with the assistance of an extension?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

If anyone needs a temporary solution, I can heartily recommend the Screengrab (fix version) extension.

I'm running it on Nightly, but I'm quite sure it'll work on Aurora.

It allows you to capture the whole page / visible area / selection and to copy it to the clipboard. Then, of course, you copy it to your image program. It's clean and simple.

My thanks to the author. =D>
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Srap

Post by Srap »

JoeG wrote:If anyone needs a temporary solution, I can heartily recommend the Screengrab (fix version) extension.

I'm running it on Nightly, but I'm quite sure it'll work on Aurora.

It allows you to capture the whole page / visible area / selection and to copy it to the clipboard. Then, of course, you copy it to your image program. It's clean and simple.

My thanks to the author. =D>

Before this change, Screengrab was able to save those screen-shots without the need of opening an image editor program, so this addon is effected too.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Srap wrote:Before this change, Screengrab was able to save those screen-shots without the need of opening an image editor program, so this addon is effected too.
Though I don't understand what the code change actually did, my impression is that it broke all the screenshot-related extensions and perhaps other stuff that I'm not aware of.
myhaella

Post by myhaella »

Any news on this?

I just spent hours reseting my profile and installing all extensions clean because I thought my profile was corrupt because I couldn't save screenshots.

I use Screengrab and Awesome screenshot A LOT. It's very inconvenient to have to open image editing software to take screenshots. Is there anything I can do to help resolve this issue? I can test and report back results (I'm not a developer).

In the meantime can you suggest a lightweight image editing software to use on Linux to save images, GIMP is too heavy just for that.
together we stand, divided we fall
BigWillyStyle42

Post by BigWillyStyle42 »

myhaella wrote:In the meantime can you suggest a lightweight image editing software to use on Linux to save images, GIMP is too heavy just for that.

Often on Linux you can hit the print screen key and it'll display a dialog asking where to save the image. At least that's how it works for me in Debian.
myhaella

Post by myhaella »

Yes, but it doesn't have the ability to Save entire page, even the parts that aren't currently visible (scroll), I use those addons for that.

I plan to use Shutter as the quick app that can save image from clipboard.
together we stand, divided we fall
DAOWAce

Post by DAOWAce »

Well, it's a good thing I put off updating to FF18 this time.

Think I'll give it 2 more weeks; really want those scripting improvements.
joeg

Post by joeg »

myhaella wrote:Any news on this?
As far as I can tell, it's still broken.
myhaella wrote:In the meantime can you suggest a lightweight image editing software to use on Linux to save images, GIMP is too heavy just for that.
I have no idea of the "heaviness" of GIMP in comparison with what I'm about to suggest, and I'm not sure what kind of features you're looking for, but the free program IrfanView offers some facility for basic editing. As the name implies, though, it's essentially a "viewer". The zip version with all the plugins is 14mb.

It also doesn't run natively on Linux, and I don't know how much extra effort you want to put into this, but I found this.
http://www.wine-reviews.net/application ... -wine.html