Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Chrysalis

Re: Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by Chrysalis »

JoeG wrote:
Chrysalis wrote:Is there an explanation why linux has 64bit but not windows? ...
Ummm, there's been a 64-bit Nightly for ages. Please see the very first post in this thread for the download locations.

If you mean an official release, this is something someone else will have to address.

yes I mean official tier1.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The explanation Asa Dotzler gave is that Windows has too many builds already. They wanted the Metro version instead of 64-bit compat.
Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis »

ok i dont see a mtro build listed on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... igurations

OSx has 2 tier 1 builds
linux 2 tier 1 builds
android 2 tier1 builds
windows 1 tier 1 build
windows 1 tier 2 build

then is a load of tier 3 builds, but that page seems to indicate the tier 3 builds arent maintained by the core developers? so it seems from that page windows has less builds than other operating systems or is metro also tier 1 but just not listed? My view is windows has a huge user base so that alone would justify more builds, but thanks for posting what he said omega x.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Correct. Tier 3 is handled by the community and no longer maintained by Mozilla developers. Win8 Metro counts as Windows x86 Tier 1. If it wasn't treated as a separate development effort, 64-bit would probably be Tier 1.

That page doesn't mention how many versions of OSes. They should really list that so its not so vague.

OSX 32-64 bit builds are like 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 (I think 10.6 was dropped, maybe?)
Linux 32-64 bit builds have a list of dependencies. But I guess, Gnome 2.16?
Windows is like 5 versions. XP/Vista/7/8 Classic/8 Metro. Not counting the T2 64-bit variant.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I don't think there's more than one 32-bit Windows build. However if you look at the Tinderboxpushlog page you can see all the platforms that the automated tests are run on. For Windows, those platforms are Win opt, Win pgo, Win debug, Win64 opt, WinXP opt, WinXP pgo and WinXP debug. Right now it doesn't look like the Win64 opt builder runs any tests at all.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

They don't have to make more than one 32-bit binary, that's true. But they have to maintain compatibility between all those versions. Maybe when Xp dies off...
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

FYI - Bug 801386 - Please enable PGO on Win64 as bug #795594 is fixed landed and PGO Win64 builds are now in production. :lildevil:
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

I tried it, but it doesn't update on the the regular Nightly channel. I've gone back to the Nightly build.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

JoeG wrote:
I tried it, but it doesn't update on the the regular Nightly channel. I've gone back to the Nightly build.

Hi. JoeG! I've been using the PGO builds for quite some time (during my "vacation," anyway). They are, generally, based on the hourlies (many updates during the day).

I simply check the PGO page and look for the latest, download it, and then double click on the downloaded file to run it.
As it's running, I close my current Fx session and let it do its thing.

Works great!

I think (hope) Mozilla will move it to tier 1, eventually (soon), as long as we keep testing it. :)
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

mikedl wrote:
JoeG wrote:

Hi. JoeG! I've been using the PGO builds for quite some time (during my "vacation," anyway). They are, generally, based on the hourlies (many updates during the day).

I simply check the PGO page and look for the latest, download it, and then double click on the downloaded file to run it.
As it's running, I close my current Fx session and let it do its thing.

Works great!

I think (hope) Mozilla will move it to tier 1, eventually (soon), as long as we keep testing it. :)

Just a question, are the nightly auto-updates for 64bit PGO, like the 32bit nightlies?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Don't get your hopes up. They're trying to remove 64-bit builds completely.
ssj12

Post by ssj12 »

Omega X wrote:Don't get your hopes up. They're trying to remove 64-bit builds completely.

If they do I will no longer be a Mozilla supporter.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Grantius wrote:Just a question, are the nightly auto-updates for 64bit PGO, like the 32bit nightlies?

No.
You have to go to the Winx64 PGO build FTP page and get the latest update - full download (as far as I know).
But, as I mentioned above, it's painless and fairly quick.
ssj12 wrote:
Omega X wrote:Don't get your hopes up. They're trying to remove 64-bit builds completely.

If they do I will no longer be a Mozilla supporter.

Same here, ssj12 ...

I can almost hear the 16bit adherents screaming from the grave ...
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Right now it doesn't look like the Win64 opt builder runs any tests at all.

Does too. You just have to look at the page a bit differently: https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?noignore=1