Phoenix rename proposal

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
asa

Re: echo

Post by asa »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:
cottnn wrote:I like the sound of echo. I can hear myself recommending echo to other ppl... i'm not sure i could say the same with the other names. floating out there.

http://www.santafe.edu/projects/echo/echo.html

It hasn't been updated in quite some time, and the page says it's no longer being maintained. Could probably be used.

EDIT:
On second thought, http://www.onstream.com/software/echo/index.shtml

They probably wouldn't appreciate it.

There are over 100 listings in the trademark database for "echo" goods and services related to computers or software. With that many, the chances of one of them being "browser-like" are high. Echo is no good.

--Asa
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Eloquence wrote:People, please do at least a basic search at

http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=se ... t20pso.1.1

to see if a name is trademarked in the relevant areas before suggesting it. Firebird and Athena are not really an option because of this.

Yea, I did. In fact I browsed through them all by hand, and none of them having anything to do with a web browser, or could possilby be even extended to have anything to do with a browser. As far as the domain names, athena.com is registered (who knows why) to Tucows, athena.net is another company, and athena.org is a high quality site about worshipping athena. It would be nice if they sold/donated it to us :)

Yes, I am being strong about Athena, becaused I am biased and like it. But serisously, everyone has poured out ideas, we need to narrow it down to like the 5 best and go from there.

Flii wrote:at least arias, while i don't think it's perfect, is decent and i could live with it.

Same here.
TechiePundit

Post by TechiePundit »

Reasons I don't like Arias:

1) I think Arias is confusing in meaning. People will think its plural for Aria.

2) I also don't think its pronunciation is obvious. I expected a long I rather than a long E as the second syllable.

3) Also, I don't think it sounds pleasing.

4) Also, you have to pronounce all 3 syllables. It has no obvious 1 or 2 syllable shortened pronunciation.

I don't like it.
sunilgarg

Chipkali

Post by sunilgarg »

Now that this thread isn't too long to read,
a name reference from the other side of the planet (although there is no other side on the 'net), is

Chipkali
(pronounced 'chip-kahlee' the syllables aren't really spaced)

It's Hindi for the type of lizard that people in the southwestern area see sticking to walls of houses - I've seen 'em in Phoenix - no pun intended ;).

Phoenix (what is is now) is based upon the mozilla browser, kinda part of a wall that won't ever be seperated...

So anyways, that popped into my head, I'm still thinking...

I really like 'echo', but i guess that's out
What about g-echo??? something of the sort at least...

-Sunil
Firefox user since Phoenix 0.3
sunilgarg

Post by sunilgarg »

Eloquence wrote: Yea, I did. In fact I browsed through them all by hand, and none of them having anything to do with a web browser, or could possilby be even extended to have anything to do with a browser.

So what do the good ol' people at Phoenix Technologies (with the @ ;)) have to do with Browsers? They're a BIOS company, aren't they? One server product, but under that standard, they don't cut it for a 'browser' TM.

Jus' a thought...
-Sunil
Firefox user since Phoenix 0.3
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

sunil-online wrote:
badrad wrote: Yea, I did. In fact I browsed through them all by hand, and none of them having anything to do with a web browser, or could possilby be even extended to have anything to do with a browser.

So what do the good ol' people at Phoenix Technologies (with the @ ;)) have to do with Browsers? They're a BIOS company, aren't they? One server product, but under that standard, they don't cut it for a 'browser' TM.

Jus' a thought...
-Sunil

Actually, if you look their trademark up, it contains the following trademark on the word phoenix:

Phoenix Technologies Trademark wrote:...software for use in the interpretation of page description languages...

That means markup languages such as HTML. And THAT means that their beef about us using the name Phoenix, although annoying to us, is legitimate.

When browsing for Athena trademarks, I saw nothing of the sort. Furthermore, I searched the web using Google for anything that might interfere with us adopting the name Athena, and there was nothing I could find.

When we choose a name, are we gonna have to trademark it? What are the costs associated with that?
torhu

Post by torhu »

Px, Firebird, Aries, all sound ok to me. Just as long as is doesn't end up being Athena. Sorry, but that just doesn't sound the least bit cool to me.

I think Aries could be a good name too, here something pasted from dictionary.com:
[qoute]
Sign \Sign\, n. [F. signe, L. signum; cf. AS. segen, segn, a sign, standard, banner, also fr. L. signum. Cf. Ensign, Resign, Seal a stamp, Signal, Signet.] That by which anything is made known or represented; that which furnishes evidence; a mark; a token; an indication; a proof. Specifically: (a) A remarkable event, considered by the ancients as indicating the will of some deity; a prodigy; an omen. (b) An event considered by the Jews as indicating the divine will, or as manifesting an interposition of the divine power for some special end; a miracle; a wonder.
[/qoute]

This word also has some war connotations - there's still a browser war going on, isn't there? I think the original Latin meaning is 'battering ram'

I also like Argo, a nice little word that also has something to do with navigation. Argo was Jason's boat in (Greek mythology).

Both Aries and Argo were suggested by someone else earlier.
aarem

Post by aarem »

I don't like Firebird. Arias is okay, but too much of a tongue-twister.

I think we should have something mythical, not Anglo-Saxon English, something classy...

I like Athena, but my first choice continues to be Vajra -- sanskrit for lightning bolt....no one will ever come close to a trade mark for that:-)

Tyla -- goddess of thunder and lightning, is my second choice -- perhaps the mailer could be renamed Thor to go with her...

How about any of these?
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

Airas sounds ok, though the devs should be cognizant to "insult proof" the name.

"This browser sucks Ari-ass!"

I like Aries and Athena. I supposed we'll get used to whatever is chosen. I remember how I used to hate the name Athlon until I got used to it.
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

I vote "no" for Arias. Sorry ... it lacks something; je ne c'est quoi.
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

If you are still looking for alternate names with some gecko/zilla significance, I personally liked the "Jaragua" suggestion. A google of "Jaragua+browser" didn't produce any obvious conflicts.

Cheers ...
tve

Post by tve »

Athena doesnt sound cool at all for a "web browser"... it must have a cool sound to it if we want to get the attention from as much as possible people..
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Just_a_Character

Post by Just_a_Character »

I posted about this name in another thread, but I thought I'd give it a go anyways.
A lot of people prefer not to have *zilla in the name because they want something new.
A lot of people don't want a name that sounds too technical, or something that they find hard to pronounce.
A lot of people want something cool.

A lot of people want a lot of things I suppose, but how about "SpeedFire"?
Well maybe the name sounds like a racing car or something, but I'll wait and see people's response(s)
gnupun

no arias

Post by gnupun »

My prefs are:

1. Scamp -- small, fast, rebellious
2. Athena -- neat and elegant

No Arias please. As mentioned before, this name could be convoluted to 'hairy ass' :-))
flii

Re: no arias

Post by flii »

gnupun wrote:No Arias please. As mentioned before, this name could be convoluted to 'hairy ass' :-))

when i first heard that, i couldn't figure out where it came from. i admit i'm slow, but once i figured it out i could never go back to thinking it was a decent name. then i found the poster who suggested scamp, and i'm loving it more and more all the time. for those of you that don't read past pages, scamp = "Standards-Compliant And Multi-Platform". i've already said my piece about athena, but i'm glad you like scamp too. it's fun to say. :-P scamp, scamp, scamp. sorry, i shut up now. :-D