Camino becoming irrelevant?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

jlfish

Camino becoming irrelevant?

Post by jlfish »

Let me answer my own question first by saying, I hope not -- I've been using it since Chimera and consider it superior to FireFox for a number of reasons.

But, since a discussion of Camino on the Macintouch website in September, I've become more and more concerned about its future.

Crashing was rare and exception for Camino until recently; suddenly it's going belly up on a daily basis -- or more often (yes, I do send reports). Recently modified websites do not display properly -- for example, the background color "bleeds" into text area on the Advance (Newhouse) newspaper sites. As of yesterday, I get a warning from Facebook that my browser is out of date -- a warning I've only seen sporadically prior to that. AT&T has claimed incompatibility since before the last full release came out.

I understand some of this is at the web side, because corporate sites want you to use one or two browsers they can program to. I don't want to turn to unstable nightlies and potentially have worse problems. And I admit I can't afford to underwrite the cost of developing and maintaining Camino, although I suppose I could have -- should have -- offered a contribution by now.

Is it too late? Will I be forced to succumb to a browser I don't want? Or is there still hope?
David Munch

Re: Camino becoming irrelevant?

Post by David Munch »

jlfish

Post by jlfish »

Hi David, I read part of that thread, but it's really over my head -- I am an end user, not a programmer.

I do appreciate your trying to answer, or at least explain what's going on. But I guess I'm looking for a more clear "yes we'll have Camino back on its feet in no time" or "sorry, better start transitioning to something else now."

What are your thoughts on that?
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Camino might rise again some time in the future but as things stand at the moment it's not likely for quite awhile. It's probably best to plan for a temporary migration to something else in the mean time.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

At the same time, I should point out that I don't experience any of the problems the OP mentions (using OS 10.6.8) except for the notices to upgrade my browser, and those only on google sites and Amazon. Camino is not dead yet, and certainly not irrelevant in an increasingly bloated browser market, so enjoy it while you can :D
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

jlfish wrote:Hi David, I read part of that thread, but it's really over my head -- I am an end user, not a programmer.

I do appreciate your trying to answer, or at least explain what's going on. But I guess I'm looking for a more clear "yes we'll have Camino back on its feet in no time" or "sorry, better start transitioning to something else now."

Read it all the way through. There is quite clear information, even for a non-programmer such as myself.
jlfish

Post by jlfish »

I should point out that I don't experience any of the problems the OP mentions (using OS 10.6.8) except for the notices to upgrade my browser, and those only on google sites and Amazon

Being told to upgrade without other issues was the case -- although on more than the sites mentioned. Note issues in the forum of late; it seems that we Camino users are being pushed to the back of the bus. As of yesterday, we can no longer participate on Facebook:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2628899

Even if not dead, it does seem as though Camino is on life support :cry:
Cyberoid

Post by Cyberoid »

jlfish wrote:
Note issues in the forum of late; it seems that we Camino users are being pushed to the back of the bus. As of yesterday, we can no longer participate on Facebook:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2628899

Even if not dead, it does seem as though Camino is on life support :cry:

I have no problems with Facebook or any other website I commonly frequent.
Bob Jacobson, Tucson, Arizona, USA & Malmö, Skåne, Sweden
Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz • MacBook Air Mid-2010 • Camino 2.1.2
Mac OS 10.6.8, "Snow Leopard" (no Lion or Mountain Lion crap)
Apple User Since 1981 (Apple II), Mac User Since 1984
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

Cyberoid wrote:I have no problems with Facebook or any other website I commonly frequent.

Have you tried downloading photos to Facebook? Doesn't work for me under Camino.

Also, the Facebook page layout is not right except in full screen mode.