Firefox hangs when coming out of hibernation & standby

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox hangs when coming out of hibernation & standby

Post by dfoulkes »

torkiloe
It's probably too late... you've probably already performed the downgrade ... but I was/will suggest to you to backup your profile before doing any of that... different versions of Firefox make changes to files in a profile... if you simply downgrade using the same profile who knows how it could mess it up... that same principle goes for upgrading... that is, if you were using an old version of Firefox with its corresponding profile and were to download a new version and "installed" it over the old version as opposed to performing an "update" it could miss changing some required areas in the profile... know what I mean... anyway...
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
torkiloe

Post by torkiloe »

Downgrading to FF11 did not seem to solve the problem.
However after having downgraded to FF10, the problem has disappeared. Nice!

Will stay on FF10 for now and hope for one of the upcoming FF versions to solve the problem.
James

Post by James »

Er... if you want to use the old Firefox 10.0 at least use the most updated version of 10.0 which is the 10.0.7 on ESR channel. The last 10.0 release was 10.0.2.

It may not actually be a issue with more current releases of Firefox actually.

So you will not be so vulnerable in meantime here is the 10.0.7esr
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html
torkiloe

Post by torkiloe »

@James: Thanks for the tip about 10.0.7esr. Have upgraded to that.
Will try Fx16 when it gets released. Fx11-Fx15 all seem to have the problem.
torkiloe

Post by torkiloe »

Fx16 also has his problem.
Back to 10.0.7esr.
James

Post by James »

The current esr is 10.0.9esr actually. http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html
allasm

Post by allasm »

I have the same problem with Fx10 and Fx16 - did not happen with Fx 3.6.x. (Win XP, Core2d 3Ghz/8GB)

Very reproducible, with or without any add-ons or plugins. Just get the computer to sleep (Start->ShutDown->Suspend), get out of sleep and Fx is almost frozen (takes 20-30 sec to open a new tab or switch a tab or scroll a window, about the same to show cursor/highlight URL when address bar is clicked) - but reaction to the close button is as quick as usual.

If any devs have any idea and needs a tester/try fixes I'm willing to help and run any test versions
aschlutter

Post by aschlutter »

I've got the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be an problem of any addon installed. I've tried FF portable ESR 10.0.9 and FF prtable 16 - always the same on my Win XP. But ony on my computer, on my wife's one FF 16 (on Win XP) works fine. few days ago I've made a discovery. When I wait a few minutes - at least five or ten (I haven't stopped the time yet) - after coming out of hibernation or standby (same behaviour) FF begins to work properly again.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Does this hanging have anything to do with screensavers? I noticed that if the computer goes to sleep with Firefox running and one of a few screensavers in use, it will freeze up completely when it wakes up. It is not just Firefox frozen, but the whole computer.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

<- Doesn't use screen savers but has seen this problem before, although not recently.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just to up date ... basically with no new info ... Since this problem started for me I've now shut down Firefox before I put my comp. into sleep... since then nothing has gone wrong. But, the other day I forgot that I had a test profile open (minimized), and it is a very bare-bones one.. just created it, and when I brought my system up the same problem I've always had surfaced. Though my problem is a little different from many I've read around here it is still a problem... but, frankly I think it's a Windows issue in my case... Firefox works fine and my Control panel says that my nic-card is functioning OK... but, when I open up my Network sharing center I have a red X between my computer and my router. Disabling/enabling my card does no good... the only way to resolve it is to reboot my comp.

I have some other apps. running at shutdown that try to update/contact home when coming out of Sleep but they don't cause an issue... I don't think they do... they were not even on my comp. when this all started many months ago.

It's like Firefox wants to make various connections with the Net and something in here says... Hey, I'm not ready and I'm so confused I think I'll shut down.... that's my tech-way of looking at it :-" ... other than that, life's great :lol:
atommalac

Post by atommalac »

I have the same issue, FF 17.0 on win7 pro sp1. However, i've only started experiencing it about a week ago. It's weird because when I click a tab for example, nothing happens, but if I minimize and then re-maximize FF, it sometimes seems to receive the click before.
Now I just shut down FF when hibernating.
dfoulkes wrote:but, frankly I think it's a Windows issue in my case... Firefox works fine and my Control panel says that my nic-card is functioning OK... but, when I open up my Network sharing center I have a red X between my computer and my router. Disabling/enabling my card does no good... the only way to resolve it is to reboot my comp.

This is something I've noticed too! It happens randomly, after about one out of ten hibernations. The network card (driver?) seems to get very confused by the hibernation thing, it simply fails to do anything useful. When I ping my router, it says something along the lines of "transmit failed, general failure". Sorry if this is semi-offtopic here. I doubt this would be related to FF hanging, because when FF hangs, the network usually still works fine for me, and an FF restart resolves the issue.

I'm very curious as to how widespread this problem (FF hanging afer hibernation) is, I was very surprised when an FF update didn't solve it. What's the deal?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

atommalac
I suppose and assume that most people here are not having the same problem I have.. and I've pretty much figured that it's either a Windows thing or maybe the way I've got my PC set up... so, I'm just living with it... but, you could do a little test for yours... if it's not like my problem "and" your FF consistently hangs for awhile after coming out of sleep... that is...

You might want to start Firefox in safe-mode, then go into hibernation... then bring it out of that mode (FF will still be in safe-mode) ... maybe browse a little or ??... get into hibernation again, bring it out... see what happens. I suggest this because maybe it's not Firefox but perhaps an extension in there calling home or ??

Anyway, just a thought.
asmmsl

Post by asmmsl »

While the core problem may be some Windows (mis-)configuration, the problem did not exists in Fx 3.6 and before and exists in Fx 10 and newer versions.. so while firefox devs may not be the "guilty" side, hopefully something can be reverted/changed to help those who suffer from this problem

P.S. for me this happens in any firefox config, including fresh install in safe mode with no plugins
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

asmmsl wrote:P.S. for me this happens in any firefox config, including fresh install in safe mode with no plugins

Did you disable everything in Addons > Plugins section or disable them in Windows where they are installed ? They are not disabled in Mozilla Safe Mode
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln