Javascript Performance Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: Javascript Performance Thread

Post by patrickjdempsey »

8 years? Phoenix was released to the public for testing in September of 2002, that's *over* 10 years ago. Based of course on the Mozilla Suite which began when Netscape was open-sourced in 1998. With the original Netscape browser itself dating back to 1994. Which makes the code base old enough to get married, smoke cigarettes, and serve in the military.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
bksening

Post by bksening »

patrickjdempsey wrote:8 years? Phoenix was released to the public for testing in September of 2002, that's *over* 10 years ago. Based of course on the Mozilla Suite which began when Netscape was open-sourced in 1998. With the original Netscape browser itself dating back to 1994. Which makes the code base old enough to get married, smoke cigarettes, and serve in the military.

And since original Netscape code, Phoenix and testing versions don't count, Firefox was released in 2004, which is 8 years to 2012.
bksening

Post by bksening »

bogas04 wrote:So I read this article Chrome has gotten 26 percent faster this year , and wondered how fast has FF become over a year !

I ran the same Octane test , for FF8 , FF16 and the latest nightly FF 19 (The build is exactly a year after FF 8 was launched).

The results were :

FF 19 6025 (106%) <8 Nov 2012>
FF 16 5408 (85%) <9 Oct 2012>
FF 8 2921 (0%) <8 Nov 2011>

So that's all , FF has seen such drastic performance improvements over a year that it puts Chrome's improvements to dust.

PS : A very delightful and a happy birthday to Firefox for completing its 8 years ! :D :D :D

Err... I hope you're not trying to confuse readers by comparing the percentage increase of Firefox performance on Octane benchmark itself against the percentage increase of Chrome? Percentage increase of performance is comparing increased speeds against itself to show how much has improved. Large percentage increases only mean there have been large improvements where it was really slow before.

You cannot compare percentage performance increases between browsers..... that's a meaningless comparison and would be totally bogus.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I wouldn't put any weight on it, but I think it's pretty much a glass half full / half empty kind of thing. You either commend the Firefox devs for how far they've come in the past year - or you note that it's had a lot of catching up to do (but if you do that you should also look at what it is that Octane is specifically testing, and how well that relates to real world situations).
bogas04

Post by bogas04 »

I just meant to say that if Firefox 4 was a slow browser , the image of that is definitely changed over a year. I am obviously not saying that Firefox is faster , but it has came back to track faster than expected. In my other test , Chrome 24 dev is 42% faster than FF 19 , which is pretty cool I guess.
bogas04.github.io
MacBook Air Mid 2013 |@bogas04
Chicharrero

Post by Chicharrero »

Firefox needs 2 things to improve its performance drastically. OMTC and Supersnappy. Once these things are implemented, the browser will become much better.
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

I think bogas04 tests just show that FF is improving in terms of speed much faster yearly than Chrome is.This however,as bogas04 himself said,doesn't mean that current FF is faster than current Chrome(although it is close enough for me to keep using it).This however also means that if the trend continues the same path,soon FF will probably surpass Chrome in terms of speed,but that is only if the trend continues.So the next few years may be very exciting for FF users and FF as a browser hopefully.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

bogas04 wrote:So I read this article Chrome has gotten 26 percent faster this year , and wondered how fast has FF become over a year !

I ran the same Octane test , for FF8 , FF16 and the latest nightly FF 19 (The build is exactly a year after FF 8 was launched).

The results were :

So that's all , FF has seen such drastic performance improvements over a year that it puts Chrome's improvements to dust.

PS : A very delightful and a happy birthday to Firefox for completing its 8 years ! :D :D :D

Wow, nice benchmarks! I hope someone does this test as well, Firefox is most definitely a new beast.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The results were :

So in other words, Firefox improved more dramatically on that bench over the same amount of time. That's quite nice. Let's hope that they keep up the pace.
Srap

Post by Srap »

Octane benchmark...? Correct me, but wasn't that the one with questionable properties and structure?
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Not sure if you're talking about something like Peacemaker or RoboHornet. Octane is the updated V8bench test. I'm surprised that AWFY hasn't been updated to it yet.
pao

Post by pao »

Reasons Mozilla may not be using Octane: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/08/no-si ... r-the-web/
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

They are optimising for it though:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=784380
iwod

Post by iwod »

Chicharrero wrote:Firefox needs 2 things to improve its performance drastically. OMTC and Supersnappy. Once these things are implemented, the browser will become much better.

And Generational GC. Actually i posted this in About:Snappy but none of those items are being worked on at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2367863&start=570

And that is what we hope it will improve and become much better. Over the years we have all bet of faster Javascript Engine or what ever other tech that was suppose to improve. And none of it did. Or they did but wasn't making a big enough difference.

I was thinking if mozilla needs resources on this features we could do a KickStarter project on it.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Firefox is bloody quick for me on even my crummy old work PC.

Its only slow for people with a million addons and old PC's.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro