Make the page fit the screen ?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
jwright

Make the page fit the screen ?

Post by jwright »

Is there an extension to Firefox to make a web page fit the screen?
I get so weary and eyestrained of continually scrolling right and left to read a web page.
Blade556

Post by Blade556 »

Pressing F11 might help, unless thats not what you mean...

Otherwise, it's the website HTML code that makes it so big. Try setting your monitor to a higher resolution (Maybe 1024x768) by clicking on the monitor with the paintbrush and ruler in the taskbar in the bottom right.

On windows 98, anyway...In Windows 2000 and XP you just right click on the desktop, click graphics mode, and set it to any resolution you want. In this case, I think you would need a higher one.
bergie

Re: Make the page fit the screen ?

Post by bergie »

jwright wrote:Is there an extension to Firefox to make a web page fit the screen?
I get so weary and eyestrained of continually scrolling right and left to read a web page.

jw,it sounds like what you're looking for is the opera beta option to "fit to page size". I agree that this would be very fine--much better than altering resolution. Let's hope that some whiz comes up with an extension. If so,I'll grab it.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

If your problem is long strings of unbroken text that don't allow the browser to break the line anywhere (such as long, long URLs posted in bbs messages), try using this bookmarklet:

Create a new bookmark, and insert the following text as its URL:

javascript:(function() { var D = document; F(D.body); function F(n) { var u, r, c, x; if (n.nodeType == 3) { u = n.data.search(/\S{45}/); if (u >= 0) { r = n.splitText(u + 45); n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'), r); } } else if ((n.tagName != 'STYLE') && (n.tagName != 'SCRIPT')) { for (c = 0; x = n.childNodes[c]; ++c) { F(x); } } } D.body.innerHTML += ' '; })();

Note: copy and paste as one long text string.

I just named my bookmark "Wrap" and placed it on my bookmark toolbar.

When I run into one of those "extended" pages, I just click on the Wrap bookmarklet and it brings things back under control. And the wrapped URL still functions as a hotlink, too!

Sorry, I don't recall where I got this from to give them credit, but it works great.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
rayo

Post by rayo »

makaiguy wrote:
Create a new bookmark, and insert the following text as its URL:

javascript:(function() { var D = document; F(D.body); function F(n) { var u, r, c, x; if (n.nodeType == 3) { u = n.data.search(/\S{45}/); if (u >= 0) { r = n.splitText(u + 45); n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'), r); } } else if ((n.tagName != 'STYLE') && (n.tagName != 'SCRIPT')) { for (c = 0; x = n.childNodes[c]; ++c) { F(x); } } } D.body.innerHTML += ' '; })();

Note: copy and paste as one long text string.

I just named my bookmark "Wrap" and placed it on my bookmark toolbar.

When I run into one of those "extended" pages, I just click on the Wrap bookmarklet and it brings things back under control. And the wrapped URL still functions as a hotlink, too!

Sorry, I don't recall where I got this from to give them credit, but it works great.

Can you be more specific please. I followed your instructions but I'm not sure whether I have done it correctly.

1. I made a new bookmark folder called Wrap
2. Copied and pasted the text string into the address bar and hit Enter
3. This resulted in a tab which stated that it was (Untitled)
4. Clicked Bookmark This page

When I scrolled to Wrap, an arrow on the right opened a folder called 'about blank'

Am I correct?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

One way is just to create the bookmark from scratch.

Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | New Bookmark

Enter Wrap as Name
Enter the text above as Location
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
rayo

Post by rayo »

makaiguy wrote:One way is just to create the bookmark from scratch.

Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | New Bookmark

Enter Wrap as Name
Enter the text above as Location

Thanks. Learn something new everyday.
TenBells

Post by TenBells »

Hey, makaiguy, thanks for that. I've been looking for something like that for a while now.
Bullyson

Post by Bullyson »

Hold the control button as you scroll up or down to fit a webpage to your browser.
James

Post by James »

Bullyson wrote:Hold the control button as you scroll up or down to fit a webpage to your browser.

I guess you did not notice that this thread was from way back in February 2005 when Firefox was 1.0 as 1.0.1 had yet to be released. Use the (Advanced): forums search, not the Google site search box.

Locking