SwitchProxy Problem

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
syorkovich

SwitchProxy Problem

Post by syorkovich »

I do not know the correct method for getting an answer to this question. I have tried to access the developer's Web site (which appears to be down). So any assistance would be appreciated.

When I have the SwitchProxy extension installed, Firefox locks up after my home page loads. I have confirmed this by using "-safe-mode" and removing then reinstalling extensions to isolate the problem.

I am not "married" to SwitchProxy, although I really need this functionality as a mobile user. So a similar tool would be acceptable as a solution.

Thanks for the assistance.
dipa

Post by dipa »

Have exactly the same problem since 1.0. Recent nightlies aren't working too. Have extension developer abandoned it?

It was a useful extension, nonetheless.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

The problem lies in the fact that SwitchProxy tries to check for updates, but the responsible server can't be reached. Possible work-arounds:

* Start Firefox/Thunderbird/Mozilla normally, wait for about two minutes and disable the update checks then in Tools -> SwitchProxy -> Preferences (see this comment).
* Start Firefox/Mozilla in "Safe Mode", enter about:config into the location bar, search for switchproxy.update.notify and set it to false.
* Add the following line to the file user.js (advanced users only - alternatively see this comment):

Code: Select all

user_pref("switchproxy.update.notify", false);
syorkovich

Solved

Post by syorkovich »

Thanks for the very clear, very accurate solution.

I hope the developer gets his site fixed! This is a great tool!

-Scott
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

I started having exactly the same problem, last night (the 19th).

I'm not sure it's just an update issue, since I'm still having some problem even with update checks turned off. But, it's definitely the case that the developer's web site is down, so there seems to be some kind of timeout issue going on.

-Jim