MozillaZine

Show cache size in FF11?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post Posted March 14th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Hmm, you're right. One of my computers shows it, but the other doesn't. I'm not sure what determines it. It's not quite as simple as that check box or just clearing the cache, as far as I can tell. Must be some particular combination of settings. Oh, well.

Post Posted March 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I was wondering about this for a day. Now I get the answer from this thread. Since I updated to FF11, I noticed the cache folder is always empty. I wondered where the cache went. Then after searching and reading from this thread, I found out I checked the "clear history when firefox closes" in Privacy tab. Before it only clears the cache when I closes firefox, now there is even no cache folder if I check that option. After unchecking it, the cache folder is back.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted March 15th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Yes, if you have that option checked, your cache is stored in RAM instead of on the disk. This allows Firefox to shutdown more quickly and also protects your privacy better. With the old way if your Firefox crashed out or your OS shut down, Firefox would not be able to delete the cache. With the new way your cache clears out of memory regardless of how Firefox closes.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

joycie

Post Posted March 19th, 2012, 11:17 am

I was wondering the exact same thing! This happened to me, too. Doesn't tell how much cache is being used, which was to the left of the "clear now" box.
Anyone figure out how to get that back?
Thanks!

joycie

Post Posted March 19th, 2012, 11:19 am

Doh! Please excuse my first post, I just needed to read the other posts again. Sorry about that, but now it works!
Thanks! 8-)

rodspri

Post Posted March 23rd, 2012, 7:24 am

viokni wrote:James,
Thanks, I didn't know that was implemented to FF11. Looks like that explains it.

Vanilla,
It was always there on my FF. After getting some info off James' link, looks like I can still bring it back if I disable "Clear history when Firefox closes". http://i44.tinypic.com/35coshc.jpg

DISABLING "CLEAR HISTORY WHEN FIREFOX CLOSES" DOES RETURN THE AMOUNT OF SPACE CURRENTLY USED. i.e. 'Your web content cache is currently 450 kB of disk space'

PROBLEM IS I WANT TO HAVE HISTORY CLEARED WHEN FIREFOX CLOSES !

ARE THERE ANY OTHER FIXES ?

R.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted March 23rd, 2012, 7:53 am

rodspri wrote:PROBLEM IS I WANT TO HAVE HISTORY CLEARED WHEN FIREFOX CLOSES !

Fixes for what, rodspri? If you want to clear history when Firefox closes, then check "Clear history when Firefox closes". As odd as this may seem, that will clear history when Firefox closes.

Please don't use all capital letters. It's considered poor net etiquette, especially when combined with exclamation points.

probSolver

Post Posted November 11th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Hello,

I am currently using Firefox 16.0.2 on Windows 7 64-bit Professional SP1 and was experiencing this same issue; however, after significant investigation, I discovered that if the Clear history when Firefox closes option (in the History section under the Firefox Menu --> Options --> Privacy tab) is checked, the Your web content cache is currently using n.n of dis(c|k) space text will not appear under the Advanced tab's Cached Web Content section (just as many of you discovered as well).

Logically speaking, this behavior makes reasonable sense given that if the history is going to be cleared upon closing Firefox, then the cached Web content will be automatically cleared as well. In fact, if you click on the Settings... button next to that Clear history when Firefox closes option, you will see that under the History section of the Settings for Clearing History pop-up window it lists Browsing History, Download History, Form & Search History, Cookies, Active Logins, and you guessed it, Cache as items that Firefox should automatically clear when the application is quit.

On the other hand, if you are like me and keep Firefox opened all day long (and possibly well into the next day), this may not be the best option for you. If that is the case, simply go the Privacy tab, uncheck the Clear history when Firefox closes option, and click OK. Then, the next time the Options screen (or pop-up window) is opened, the Your web content cache is currently using n.n of dis(c|k) space text will appear as expected.

Alternatively, if you simply want to have it all, one nice trick I found is that you can actually leave the Clear history when Firefox closes option checked while clicking the Settings... button and unchecking the Cache option under the History section of the Settings for Clearing History pop-up window. Doing this will give you the ability to let Firefox automatically clear other historical elements while still allowing you control over the Cached Web Content area. In short, I hope this information helps someone out there. :)

Return to Firefox Support