[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Mizuhiro Neko

Re: [Ext] Tab Utilities 1.2 - light but featureful

Post by Mizuhiro Neko »

ithinc wrote:
Mizuhiro Neko wrote:EDIT: I tried 1.2, and the issue still occurred.

It shouldn't. Try to figure out other conflicting add-ons.

Okay, I've found the conflict. It is MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4.9000. Should I find the bug page for that extension and report the incompatibility?
sumguy

Post by sumguy »

Hi - I'm trying Tab Utilities to replace UnloadTab and BarTab addons, since they're no longer available/supported. Something I noticed about the manual tab unloading, it only works on non-focussed tabs. If you do "Restart Tab" on the current tab, it just reloads it again. It would be nice to have an option for "Restart Tab" to switch to the nearest loaded tab, as in the other addons. Also possibly that when you close a tab, there is an option to switch to the nearest loaded one, rather than loading the next one. Thanks!
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

First of all, thank you very much for releasing 1.2 :D
Bugs
Firefox 15.0.1, TU1.2, clean profile.

Bug 1
TU default settings, extensions.tabutils.pinTab.showPhantom false (!)
Pin a tab, close a tab with middle mouse button, press Ctrl-Shift-T to restore. Repeat a couple of times, open Panorama menu - you'll see many pinned tabs that don't exist.

Bug 2
TU default settings, extensions.tabutils.pinTab.showPhantom false (!)
1. Open a tab with any site (Google,etc), pin this tab
2. Unload this tab using "Restart tab" command in RMB-menu (you'll need to add this option in settings first)
3. Focus pinned tab abd repeat step 2, go to panorama menu - you'll see pinned tabs that don't exist

Bugs from here except for bug 1: http://tabutils.uservoice.com/forums/43 ... ns/3098272
3lsi9ui3ntepr0g

Post by 3lsi9ui3ntepr0g »

Hi ithinc.
Thanks!

Please, What are the keys that allow Focus the Left tab when the user closing Current tab?? :wink:
Without using the extension.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

3lsi9ui3ntepr0g wrote:Please, What are the keys that allow Focus the Left tab when the user closing Current tab?? :wink:
Without using the extension.

Fx doesn't provide this feature.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

sumguy wrote:Hi - I'm trying Tab Utilities to replace UnloadTab and BarTab addons, since they're no longer available/supported. Something I noticed about the manual tab unloading, it only works on non-focussed tabs. If you do "Restart Tab" on the current tab, it just reloads it again. It would be nice to have an option for "Restart Tab" to switch to the nearest loaded tab, as in the other addons. Also possibly that when you close a tab, there is an option to switch to the nearest loaded one, rather than loading the next one. Thanks!

I don't think your request is valid. However, you may alter the behavior of "Restart Tab" menuitem with the following settings:

Code: Select all

pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_restartTab.label", "Unload Tab");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_restartTab.accesskey", "U");
pref("extensions.tabutils.menu.context_restartTab.oncommand", "gBrowser.selectedTab = gBrowser.getLastSelectedTab();gBrowser.restartTab(gBrowser.mContextTab);");
besonen

Post by besonen »

ithinc,

i perused the bug reports but don't have a sense of when tab utilities compatibility with firefox 17 might be possible. what's your guess as to when firefox 17 might be supported?

thanks,
david
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

besonen wrote:i perused the bug reports but don't have a sense of when tab utilities compatibility with firefox 17 might be possible. what's your guess as to when firefox 17 might be supported?

I have no plan to make it compatible with Fx17 yet. Maybe I'll catch Fx18 or Fx19.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

ithinc wrote:
besonen wrote:i perused the bug reports but don't have a sense of when tab utilities compatibility with firefox 17 might be possible. what's your guess as to when firefox 17 might be supported?

I have no plan to make it compatible with Fx17 yet. Maybe I'll catch Fx18 or Fx19.

Firefox 17 is an ESR release. It will be around for 54 weeks so it will be good for all those people who prefer updating their Firefox once a year instead of every six weeks.

Phil
svobodniy

Post by svobodniy »

Don't work correctly with new Fx 17... :cry:
philly30

Post by philly30 »

firefox 17 is a disaster, alot of addons do not work
WHiZ

Post by WHiZ »

This add-on is an important one to me and i'm sure many many others as well. You've done the mozilla community a great service by not just making it but by supporting and advancing it over all the time you have. Sadly we now come to a crossroads because this very useful addon and functionality is now gone from my FF17.. I'm not sure how much of your add-on was broken by mozilla's latest version.. However after reading the bug reports, it would appear they don't take it as a serious issue and have absolutely no intention about fixing or changing it back and expect all authors to modify thier addon code to conform with the new standard..

(IMO that is something if they were GOING to do, and that clearly was going to break a number of add-ons, they should have given like a 6month notice upon final determination that they wouldn't change it back/fix it, and notified all plugin creators whos' plugins used the tosource function and issued a schedule with a phase-in plan and a deadline for such changes. A phase-in plan could have included a phase-in period where the function would support both methods by issuing a parameter for the new functionality would have worked. That way existing plugins would still be fine. I sort of feel like this was handled wrong by them. Obviously you've known for a while, but from what I was reading the final determination of the status of it and what if anything they would do about it is a lot more recent as they have seemingly different member opinions.

But regardless of how we came to arrive at this crossroads, we are here now. What parts/components of the add-on did that actually affect? Are you able to release a partial add-on with those unaffected components until a solution for the full thing is available? It seems a bit horrible from an end user standpoint suddenly not having this great tool that improves the firefox experience so much.

Thanks for all you've done for us so far with this great add-on, and I hope you can come up with some temp solution for us.

Sincerely,
Dave
ShanG01

Post by ShanG01 »

Tab Utilities Lite is incompatible with FF 17. It makes the back, forward & refresh buttons unusable. Any suggestions for another add-on in it's place?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

The other popular one Tab Mix Plus has the same problem. Gut they do have a unreleased beta version of TMP that is working.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
ShanG01

Post by ShanG01 »

Where do I get the beta version? And does anyone know why TU does this in FF 17? It's just weird. And really annoying. LOL