lost bookmarks in Aurora

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
windows_cannot

lost bookmarks in Aurora

Post by windows_cannot »

I was watching a downloaded video in Winamp when it stopped and refused to play past the point where it had stopped. When I shut down Windows and re-booted, I got some error message gibberish about a corrupted user profile that wouldn't load (thus my user name) and that Windows was logging me on with a temporary profile. Settings gone, everything on the desktop gone, Aurora bookmarks gone. I got my desktop files back and the settings can be duplicated, downloaded the latest Firefox, reloaded Aurora, but all the Aurora bookmarks are gone. If everything on my desktop was recoverable, the bookmarks should be somewhere, right? None of the restore procedures will find them. Where are they?

The new Firefox will only import bookmarks from IE8.
LoudNoise

Re: lost bookmarks in Aurora

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Builds.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Hmmm... I guess it depends on where your recovered profile data is stored.

In a typical setup, Firefox profile data should be located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\user profile name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

You will have to allow yourself to view hidden files or folders to see the Application Data folder:
http://lirent.net/2008/02/how-to-show-h ... d-folders/
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

You should also be able to type %AppData% into the address bar of any windows explorer window, which will correspond with %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData (or %UserProfile%\AppData) in Windows XP, and %SystemDrive%\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming (or %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming) in Windows Vista and up.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That would bring up the *in use* profile though and not the other Windows profile(s). The OP specifically needs to get to a damaged Windows profile and extract his Firefox profile.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Guesty Guest

Post by Guesty Guest »

Don't know if this is relavent but I posted it on another thread.

I back my bookmarks up. Ctrl+Shift+B to open the Library. Then go to "Import and Backup" and select "Export Bookmarks to HTML".

I save this tiny 90KB HTML file into my Dropbox folder. I do this every week or two, overwriting the file, so that if something goes horribly wrong I can get all my bookmarks back in seconds by opening the Library then going to "Import and Backup" and select "Import Bookmarks from HTML".

Very simple and quick procedure but it saves lots of heartache.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Guesty Guest wrote:Don't know if this is relavent but I posted it on another thread.

I back my bookmarks up. Ctrl+Shift+B to open the Library. Then go to "Import and Backup" and select "Export Bookmarks to HTML".

I save this tiny 90KB HTML file into my Dropbox folder. I do this every week or two, overwriting the file, so that if something goes horribly wrong I can get all my bookmarks back in seconds by opening the Library then going to "Import and Backup" and select "Import Bookmarks from HTML".

Very simple and quick procedure but it saves lots of heartache.

How about zipping your whole profile and backing it up?

That way your covered for history, addons etc.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Good advice,especially when using testing versions-while we're on it,why not use the excellent profile manager standalone http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/utilities/profilemanager/1.0/ which can copy and /or make a compressed backup of the profile with just a single click :wink: