[Ext] Opera Wand for Firefox - SecureLogin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Milayne

Re: [Ext] Opera Wand for Firefox - SecureLogin

Post by Milayne »

Diff the official 1.0.1 with my 1.0.2 and you will see exactly the changes I've mentioned. (Plus changing "<em:version>" to 1.0.2 in "install.rdf".) Nothing more. I'm actually surprised myself I've spent so much time to find a fix and write the post. :P
Anyway, I'm off to bed.
leepa

Post by leepa »

Milayne wrote:leepa, I think you mixed something up.

Indeed - I mixed up the contents with versions - 16.0.2 should be 19a1 and vice versa :? (too late it was I guess ;) )
I did not check version 17 so had no idea that it was the same as 16.

It looks that
The "checkLoadURIStr()" method has been removed with Firefox 17.
is the issue and not urlSecurityCheck definition.

Anyway, thanks for the solution :) and thanks to the Japanese guy behind it :)
Leepa
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

Kudos to Milayne whose detective skills exceed mine. =D>

I've simply gone for these two changes:

Code: Select all

this.urlSecurityCheck(url, doc.location.href);

becomes

this.urlSecurityCheck(url, doc.nodePrincipal);

and

this.getSecManager().checkLoadURIStr(sourceURL, url, Components.interfaces.nsIScriptSecurityManager.STANDARD);

becomes

this.getSecManager().checkLoadURIStrWithPrincipal(sourceURL, url, Components.interfaces.nsIScriptSecurityManager.STANDARD);

I look forward to a 1.0.2 release from Abine that fixes these problems with the appropriate over-sight from the AMO editors.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
Concerned User

Post by Concerned User »

Thank you so much everyone for making this addon work again!:)

Let's hope Abine tries to continue updating this addon....
heynow

Post by heynow »

Thanks from me, too. Btw, has anyone ever tried to contact Abine and point to the issues/messageboard? Maybe we should all do that. If they get a few mails they might reconsider their behaviour/ignorance until now or at least share an explanation on how they see the future of the extension. There are various contacting possibilities on Abine's website incl. email addresses, live chat and telephone number. Otherwise, if the effort to contact them is fruitless, I really hope for the SecureLogin Reloaded version.
Win XP Home
heynow

Post by heynow »

I've contacted Abine via email and they responded very quickly. They are thankful for bringing the issues to their attention and admit to have ignored some of them during the last 6 months. They have reviewed this thread now and submitted a fixed new version which will hopefully be released the regular way on addons.mozilla.org within the next 24-48 hours. They encourage us, the users, to raise those issues with them and they will try to be more responsive in the future.

Well that's good news I guess :)
Win XP Home
menet

Post by menet »

Well done heynow. :P

We have to wait now, for some days, to have this new official version... ;)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Kudos to Milayne

+1

:)
heynow

Post by heynow »

Hi everyone,

I also contacted Sebastian Tschan, SecureLogin's original author who as well was very responsive. He explained quite detailed what it's all about with him, Abine and SecureLogin and I think many of you might be interested in what he said to me. Sebastian seems to be a very nice guy and he's ok with me posting here about our communication. So, thanks again for everything, Sebastian :)

Sebastian once developed his extensions on a free time basis but at one point just couldn't afford that time anymore and was looking for someone who could take care of his extensions. Sebastian's last self-released version was SecureLogin 0.9.3, released in October, 2008. After he met Rob of Abine personally in Germany he thought that he was a nice guy and the responsibility for his extensions SecureLogin, Autofill Forms and Net Notes was transferred to Abine. Sebastian also felt that a free time, enthusiastic developer like he was might have more time to care for his extensions than a commercial company like Abine would, but he trusted them and it was still better than having to give everything up. Abine promised to take care of the addons and also not to use them as a means for advertisement (or commercialize them as I understand). They might get a few clicks to their website through some links on AMO but that's it.

The rights to his extensions are still held by Sebastian himself and he can contact Abine if they should not properly care for them anymore. He was also contacted by a Japanese guy at one point who had developed a new version called "SecureLogin Reloaded". Sebastian suggests that Abine and the Japanese could contact each other and improve SecureLogin that way. I don't know though if any serious communication ever happened in this regard.

I think that makes many things much clearer and am really thankful to have learned about those circumstances.

Have a nice day everybody
Win XP Home
George Yves

Post by George Yves »

OMG! I hate this Abine! :evil:

I have just updated my Secure Login to version 1.0.3 and found that they decided to play visual tricks on users. Now if the extension finds registration fields, the golden key image immediately reduces in size twice and the button is barely visible on the toolbar. And it is now pulsating in the toolbar when I move between tabs with and without registration information.

I have FF 17.0 and Silvermel\Charamel visual theme.
May the FOSS be with you!
mantra

Post by mantra »

George Yves wrote:OMG! I hate this Abine! :evil:

I have just updated my Secure Login to version 1.0.3 and found that they decided to play visual tricks on users. Now if the extension finds registration fields, the golden key image immediately reduces in size twice and the button is barely visible on the toolbar. And it is now pulsating in the toolbar when I move between tabs with and without registration information.

me too , i update secure login to 1.0.3
gmail works and java protection too
but is there a changelog?
i hope it's still alive
http://www.pcmech.com/article/clearing- ... he-how-to/
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated
George Yves

Post by George Yves »

mantra wrote:

me too , i update secure login to 1.0.3
gmail works and java protection too
but is there a changelog?
i hope it's still alive

The changelog is where it has to be: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/secure-login/versions/.
Version 1.0.3
Released November 25, 2012 83.4 KB
Works with Firefox 1.5 and later

Minor update:
1. Improved location of toolbar button.
2. Improved size of toolbar button to work better in normal.
3. Fixed a bug in welcome page and option dialog.

I don't know what they "improved" in 1 and 2 but I think they turned things upside down. If they wanted to add some animation to the button, they should minimize the gray key and maximize the golden one.
May the FOSS be with you!
efox99

Post by efox99 »

Just updated and mine does not animate.

Could it be your theme that is the problem?
Milayne

Post by Milayne »

heynow wrote:He was also contacted by a Japanese guy at one point who had developed a new version called "SecureLogin Reloaded". Sebastian suggests that Abine and the Japanese could contact each other and improve SecureLogin that way. I don't know though if any serious communication ever happened in this regard.
Ha! :D That most likely happend because I have contacted the "Japanese guy", saneyuki_s, some weeks ago (forgot to tell you here).

He answered quite quickly and was very nice. First he told me that he couldn't takeover the original project (that's what I was asking him) because he's too busy. Then he tried to explain his "SecureLoginRebooted" add-on (https://github.com/saneyuki/SecureLoginRebooted) and the differenced between it and his fork of SecureLogin (https://github.com/saneyuki/Fork-SecureLogin). It's hard for me as a german user to paraphrase his words correctly (especially since I don't think I have understood it completely) so I just go and copy-paste his answer:
By the way, I worked fork edition of original SecureLogin (https://github.com/saneyuki/Fork-SecureLogin).
This fork edition is base of research Firefox's log-in system.
I can't test it well. But I seem that it helps to development an original SecureLogin.
I'll sent a mail to Sebastian, which offers my fork codes, or support to convert patches for original SecureLogin.

(SecureLoginRebooted is born from original SecureLogin. But there are some difference on codes, policy, compatibility, and concept. They are hurdle to takeover original codes. So I think that offering SecureLoginRebooted code AS-IS is hard. (Users who uses original
SecureLogin will not feel good at all.)

George Yves wrote:I have just updated my Secure Login to version 1.0.3 and found that they decided to play visual tricks on users. Now if the extension finds registration fields, the golden key image immediately reduces in size twice and the button is barely visible on the toolbar. And it is now pulsating in the toolbar when I move between tabs with and without registration information.
I do not have these issues with Firefox 17 (standard theme) and Secure Login 1.0.3.

George Yves wrote:I don't know what they "improved" in 1 and 2 but I think they turned things upside down.
With version 1.0.0 they just included the post-install message. With 1.0.1 they improved the post-install message code because it sometimes accidently showed more than once every update. With 1.0.2 they basically included the two fixes which we waited for so badly (login on Google and Javascript-protection).
So no reason to blame Abine.
mantra

Post by mantra »

The changelog is where it has to be: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/secure-login/versions/.
Version 1.0.3
Released November 25, 2012 83.4 KB
Works with Firefox 1.5 and later

Minor update:
1. Improved location of toolbar button.
2. Improved size of toolbar button to work better in normal.
3. Fixed a bug in welcome page and option dialog.

I don't know what they "improved" in 1 and 2 but I think they turned things upside down. If they wanted to add some animation to the button, they should minimize the gray key and maximize the golden one.

thanks
but is secure login still developed by the original author ? or abine ,sorry for my poor english , but i did not get it

ps to me the icon doesn't animate , and it's always the same size , tried different theme
under w7 64 and 32bit
http://www.pcmech.com/article/clearing- ... he-how-to/
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated