MozillaZine

2003-07-23 Windows, GTK2 Linux, OSX Builds Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

Post Posted July 23rd, 2003, 10:05 pm

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 7-23-trunk

*Please read the list of Known Issues before posting bugs in the bug forum*, thanks!

This is our first 0.1 milestone candidate build, see <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=124749#124749">this thread</a> for more information about 0.1.

Let's shake out any regressions or recent trunk instability over the next day or so and then see how close we are to declaring a 0.1 build.

New Features
---------------
1) New mail attachment display has landed! Thanks for everyone's help in shaping this. On a side note, if you want a large icon attachment view, set mailnews.attachments.display.largeView to true in prefs.js

2) Added UI for managing stored mail preferences (Tools / Options / Advanced)

3) Thunderbird now remembers the height of the message pane in all three, 3-pane mail configurations again. This was a regression in last weeks build that is now fixed.

4) Added back the ability to view messages with original HTML / Simple HTML / Plain Text. Thanks for all the feedback that convinced me to put this back in. You no longer need to download an extension to get this.

5) Fix a windows regression where launching mail from the start bar was causing a blank thread pane and the lack of the inbox being selected on start up.

6) Mac OSX menubars no longer show garbage chinese characters.

7) David Bienvenu fixed a regression where the Collapse / Expand thread menu items were always disabled.

8) David Bienvenu made a fix that should make a lot of offline users happy. (<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103732">Bug #103732</a>). Sending unsent messages (after you saved them to send later), we now properly mark the replied / forwarded flags on the message.

9) Fix issues with trying to customize the stand alone mail window's toolbar that caused menu items to get disabled and the window to become unusable.

10) We no longer crash when you view a message with attachments and then change your 3-pane configuration.

11) the new 3-pane option introduced in last week's build is a lot more useable now with the new attachment display and some other changes I made. You shouldn't see as much jiggling as you used to when viewing messages with the message pane splitter in this mode.

For a complete list of changes, see <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/changes.html">the change log</a>.

Known Issues
----------------
<del>1) There is still a lurking address book crash which happens sometimes when you try to modify an existing address book entry. Still haven't caught it in a debug build with a stack trace. ** 0.1 stopper ** </del> I think I fixed this in the most recent windows build. Re download the build again.

2) There is a strange focus issue in the addressing envelope in the compose window. Sometimes while typing in addresses, focus seems to lock up. You can get around it by moving focus into say the message body and then back into the addressing field. ** may be a 0.1 stopper **

<del>3) View a message with attachments. Then click on a different folder, we don't hide the attachment box when we hide the rest of the message pane. *fixed, will show up in the next respin*
</del> FIXED in latest windows respin.

<del>4) Stand alone message window doesn't show the headers.
</del> FIXED in latests windows respin.
Enjoy!

-Scott
Last edited by mscott on August 8th, 2003, 12:23 am, edited 8 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!

mscott

Post Posted July 23rd, 2003, 10:10 pm

A couple extra notes about the new attachment display with things that aren't fixed yet:

1) I need to add the ability to tab into the attachment box

2) I'm working on adding code to mozilla that will let you drag attachments directly to the desktop

3) I need to hook up the enter key so it will open the set of selected attachments

With the new display you can now:

1) multi select attachments

2) navigate throught the list of attachments via the keyboard
Thunderbirds are Go!

xnb

Post Posted July 23rd, 2003, 10:33 pm

enigmail still works with the new build :D
May someone can explain why enigmail needs to be recompiled for each Mozilla build but not for Thunderbird builds?

xnb

Post Posted July 23rd, 2003, 10:36 pm

mscott wrote:

??? Can't see what you meen ???
mscott wrote:
4) Added back the ability to view messages with original HTML / Simple HTML / Plain Text. Thanks for all the feedback that convinced me to put this back in. You no longer need to download an extension to get this.

Thanks a lot 8)

mscott

Post Posted July 23rd, 2003, 11:05 pm

xnb wrote:
mscott wrote:

??? Can't see what you meen ???

Tools / Options / Advanced / Password Manager

click on the button that says Manage stored passwords

=)
Thunderbirds are Go!

alexbender

Post Posted July 23rd, 2003, 11:12 pm

The fix in the regression to remember window states was worth the price of admission alone. Looks like you made a lot of progress this time around. I'm glad you are pushing for a milestone, I agree that it may help put Thunderbird more visibly on the map.

Great build.
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20040410 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6+ (20040512-pigfoot)

Thomas Stache

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 1:18 am

After trying the new windows build with a new profile, I'm not too excited about the window/panes resizing mechanisms. When I reduce the size of the app window a lot, elements of the UI scroll out of view. These are scroll bars, or the status bar for instance.

Another issue I had was with the height of the new attachments widget. It takes as much space as it needs to show its contents. In my opinion there should be a maximum height restriction triggering scrollbars, to leave a reasonable amount of space for the message body. This was most annoying in the new 3-column configuration with large attachment icons.

-Thomas

Bolverk

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 1:23 am

mscott wrote:Tools / Options / Advanced / Password Manager

click on the button that says Manage stored passwords

=)

I hope I'll see UI for setting up Master Password soon...

PaulH

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 1:37 am

Build looks good so far from what I've tried.. Only had it installed for half an hour..

One small anomally I've spotted, though. When you double click a msg in the list to view it I'm not seeing any headers at the top of the msg window. Headers are showing fine in the preview pane tho, which is fine for me cos that's all I use but I can imagine it might be a problem for other people.

I do see a couple of errors in the JS console relating to attachments in msgHdrViewOverlay.js so maybe it's related to the new attachment ui.. I've tried it with msgs with and without attachments and the results are the same..

I'm looking forward to 0.1.. Good work Scott..

pbrunschwig

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 1:42 am

xnb wrote:enigmail still works with the new build :D
May someone can explain why enigmail needs to be recompiled for each Mozilla build but not for Thunderbird builds?

Enigmail doesn't have to be recompiled for _every_ Mozilla build, only when some internal interfaces of Mozilla change. It's not predictable when this happens.

In general I have noticed that the latest Mozilla releases got more stable in terms of internal interface changes, so that it's much less frequently required to rebuild Enigmail.

whiprush

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 1:50 am

mscott wrote:2) I'm working on adding code to mozilla that will let you drag attachments directly to the desktop

mscott, I hope you're keeping linux users in mind when you add this feature. freedesktop.org should be the place to find the standards for this. (I hope) Either way, bugging chris blizzard about it might be worth it in this case (hehe).

gorgias

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 2:07 am

PaulH wrote:Build looks good so far from what I've tried.. Only had it installed for half an hour..

One small anomally I've spotted, though. When you double click a msg in the list to view it I'm not seeing any headers at the top of the msg window. Headers are showing fine in the preview pane tho, which is fine for me cos that's all I use but I can imagine it might be a problem for other people.

I don't see any headers either, guess it's a bug. But what about attachments? Are they not supposed to be visible from this view?

rockstiff

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 2:10 am

Confirming the header issue.
Mozilla Firefox 0.9 20040817
Windows XP Professional SP1

rockstiff

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 2:11 am

gorgias wrote:Are they not supposed to be visible from this view?

Probably not, a lot of users don't use the preview-pane.
Mozilla Firefox 0.9 20040817
Windows XP Professional SP1

nrg

Post Posted July 24th, 2003, 2:26 am

gorgias wrote:
PaulH wrote:Build looks good so far from what I've tried.. Only had it installed for half an hour..

I don't see any headers either, guess it's a bug. But what about attachments? Are they not supposed to be visible from this view?

I thought i could have been my profile but i started with a new one and im also having this problem.
No headers when you open a mail and no attachments. I really hope this is a bug for both of them cause i really do want to be able to save attachments directly other then do it from the File menu.

And this new view of attachments isnt really doing it for me :( im stuck to 1024x768 and with this new view of attachments i loose a lot of my message preview. It would be nice if we could choose the way of viewing attachments?

These are my java console errors i get with this new build.

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getBoolPref]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://communicator/content/profile/profileSelection.js :: StartUp :: line 97" data: no]

Error: list has no properties
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.js
Line: 1130

Error: expandedAttachmentBox has no properties
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.js
Line: 944

nrg

Return to Thunderbird Builds