[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
golemB

Can't download...

Post by golemB »

Your link to the non-experimental version seems to go to a blank HTML document (with some basic headers) and the -dev version gives me your provider's 404 page. Can you fix this? I'm really excited to try your software!
old zeniko

Re: Can't download...

Post by old zeniko »

golemB wrote:Your link to the non-experimental version seems to go to a blank HTML document (with some basic headers) and the -dev version gives me your provider's 404 page.

The <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/crashrecovery.xpi">regular link</a> works alright for me. Clicking it in Firefox may however produce an alert bar at the top of the window that you'll have to take care of. Alternatively, enter the extension's URL directly into the location bar or download the extension (right-click -> Save Link as...) and open it locally (see above). The dev version exists only, while I'm publicly testing major changes, which isn't the case at the moment.

EDIT: The link shouldn't open in a new window any longer, which was the cause of the problem.
Last edited by old zeniko on January 28th, 2005, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
golemB

Re: Can't download...

Post by golemB »

zeniko wrote:The regular link works alright for me. Clicking it in Firefox may however produce an alert bar at the top of the window that you'll have to take care of. Alternatively, enter the extension's URL directly into the location bar or download the extension (right-click -> Save Link as...) and open it locally (see above). The dev version exists only, while I'm publicly testing major changes, which isn't the case at the moment.

Well, clicking in FF 1.0 seems to only open a blank new window (with the aforementioned blank HTML headers), but Save As did the trick.

Thanks.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

zeniko that's because the link is in as
[url=blah_blah]Blah Blah[/url]

if you put it as
<a href="blah_blah"> Blah Blah</>

it will not open in a new window
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

AnonEmoose: Thanks for the info. As I'm using TBP to prevent exactly this kind of silly behavior of the browser, I was never able to reproduce the problem. I've now fixed the links in the above post and in the announcing post on the first page.
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

This extension does nothing for me in Firefox 1.0 on Mac OS X. Session saver never worked for me, so I hoped that this would. It is clearly installed and trying to do its job, since if I "force quit" firefox it puts an alert box the next time I restart saying that it will restore all my tabs. However, it does not, in fact, restore them. Also, I'd really like to have my tabs saved and restored after a normal quit, not just a crash. It is lack of this functionality that keeps me from using Firefox as my main browser on OS X.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Luhmann wrote:This extension does nothing for me in Firefox 1.0 on Mac OS X.

What other extensions do you have installed? Have you ever tried installing it under a clean profile? It should actually work on your system (see above).
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have not tried on a clean profile. I will. Till then, here is a list of all the extensions I have installed:

Feed Your Reader 0.81
cuneAform 0.31
Edit CSS 0.23
Web Developer 0.8
del.icio.us 0.32
Crash Recovery 0.45
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Hmm. Removing all the other extensions does not help. It still doesn't work.

I'm using 10.3.8 if that makes any difference. I see the post you referred me to was from before the latest OS X update.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Luhmann wrote:Hmm. Removing all the other extensions does not help. It still doesn't work.
I'm using 10.3.8 if that makes any difference. I see the post you referred me to was from before the latest OS X update.

I hope you didn't understand "remove all extensions" when I said "clean profile". You can create a new profile by following these instructions. If CR doesn't work there, you could try to uninstall and reinstall Firefox (this might help, if you installed Firefox 1.0 over an older version without uninstalling that one first). Finally, you could watch out for error messages in the JavaScript Console (found in the Tools menu). I doubt that the latest OS X update is responsible for this problem.
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Holding down the option key when double-clicking the firefox icon (as per those instructions) only serves (in OS X) to close the current finder window.

I did reinstall Firefox and deleted the profile, etc. so that doesn't seem to matter.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Is there anybody else using Firefox 1.0 under OS X 10.3.8 who does or does not experience the same problems as Luhmann?

Luhmann wrote:I did reinstall Firefox and deleted the profile, etc. so that doesn't seem to matter.

Well, I'm running out of ideas. Just to make sure:
* Are you using the official English OS X release (available e.g. from mozilla.org)?
* Do you know of anybody else having the same problems on a similar system (OS X 10.3.8)?
* Does the JavaScript Console (in the Tools menu) indicate any error messages?
* If you temporarily set javascript.options.strict to true (in "about:config") and restart Firefox, are there any Crash Recovery related messages in the JavaScript Console?
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Yes, the official release.

No, I don't know anyone else using this.

I'll do some testing for you and look at the Javascript Console when I have time. I'll even delete everything and do a clean install just to be sure. It may take some time, but I'd love to help get this working since I think it is one of those features that should be part of Firefox itself and not just a plugin! (My primary browser is OmniWeb.)
Bittornado

Post by Bittornado »

Hi!

First and foremost, thank you a lot for your great job and rapid support work as well.
I have a couple of questions:

1. Maybe I missunderstood, but am I right if I assume that CR should be able to restore several different windows with multiple tabs in them? I'm using a Win XP Pro and Firefox 1.0, and if I let's say have 3 different windows open with multiple tabs in each, and MANUALLY close them all, upon starting Firefox next time, CR gives me only the tabs in the last window that was closed. No matter how many new windows I open only the the tabs from the last closed window are opened. I do lose all the content of my other windows which were not the last ones to be closed.

Now this is probably the defalut behavior of the extension and me just being too dumb to understand it, but maybe you instead meant that if I would have 3 different windows open with different tabs in each, and would attend to close ANY of them and immediately would reopen a new window, then CR sould restore the content of that same window?? Because that behavior does not work for me either. So basically I do not understand how this "multi-window" behavioral is supposed to be employed.

These are my configs:

restore_prompt: true
running: true
save_interval: 10000
sessionsaver: true
textsaver: true
textsaver_interval: 60000

2. When closing or opening windows I do not get any boxes asking for my blessing! Isn't it supposed to come up a dialog box somehow?

I could add that I had Session Saver installed before, but I (at least thought) I uninstalled it completely before installing CR. But upon looking at my about:config, I still do have stuff left from session saver in my prefs.js file, like:

Code: Select all

user_pref("sessionsaver.prefs_set", "0.2.1.27.1");
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.autoload", true);
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.bluefyre", true);
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.concatenate", true);
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.dontwarn", " 1");
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.overwritetabs", true);
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.overwritewindows", true);
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.shutdown", true);
user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.shutdownsave", false);
user_pref("sessionsaver.windows.cookies", "http://kb.mozillazine.org PHPSESSID=d0fada04d80abbba0ea4728504d106cc;path=/;  |http://.mozillazine.org

I have no idea if those lines would affect the behavior of your CR... any ideas?

Thx in advance.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Bittornado wrote:1. Maybe I missunderstood, but am I right if I assume that CR should be able to restore several different windows with multiple tabs in them? I'm using a Win XP Pro and Firefox 1.0, and if I let's say have 3 different windows open with multiple tabs in each, and MANUALLY close them all, upon starting Firefox next time, CR gives me only the tabs in the last window that was closed. No matter how many new windows I open only the the tabs from the last closed window are opened. I do lose all the content of my other windows which were not the last ones to be closed.

CR restores all windows that are open at the time of closing Firefox. If you manually close window by window, only the last window is open when Firefox itself is closed. The correct way of exiting Firefox when several windows are open is through File -> Exit.

Bittornado wrote:2. When closing or opening windows I do not get any boxes asking for my blessing! Isn't it supposed to come up a dialog box somehow?

You get the dialog box only at the first start after a crash. Its only reason is that you could prevent restoring a tab which keeps Firefox crashing.

Should you want more sophisticated or different behavior, you'll have to return to SessionSaver. That one will let you restore all tabs in a single closed window (SnapBack for windows) and can ask you at every start whether you want your last session restored or not.