Home Page Disappears

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Bagheria

Home Page Disappears

Post by Bagheria »

I've been using Camino for 5 years now and never had a problem. But since yesterday when I bring up the browser my home page comes up "CNN" okay for a few seconds and then the page goes blank with just a white screen. The other tabs I open up stays open, but it is just my CNN home page that goes blank after a few seconds. I have CNN set up as my home page, but it just goes blank after it loads the page. It's really weird because it has never happened before. Any ideas or suggestions? Everything is up to date. I also have a problem with the Fox browser in that it opens up in a Mac forum site that I use even though I have CNN as my home page The funny thing is that my Chrome browser and Safari browser are both set up with CNN as my home page works okay> Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I keep checking the preferences and each browser is set to open with CNN my home page. If this helps, I had to uninstall Camino and then reinstalled it due to spiking problems with the CPU and the browser would become unresponsive. No problems with the computer at all either. Thanks for a reply.
Bagheria

Re: Home Page Disappears

Post by Bagheria »

Bagheria wrote:I've been using Camino for 5 years now and never had a problem. But since yesterday when I bring up the browser my home page comes up "CNN" okay for a few seconds and then the page goes blank with just a white screen. The other tabs I open up stays open, but it is just my CNN home page that goes blank after a few seconds. I have CNN set up as my home page, but it just goes blank after it loads the page. It's really weird because it has never happened before. Any ideas or suggestions? Everything is up to date. I also have a problem with the Fox browser in that it opens up in a Mac forum site that I use even though I have CNN as my home page The funny thing is that my Chrome browser and Safari browser are both set up with CNN as my home page works okay> Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I keep checking the preferences and each browser is set to open with CNN my home page. If this helps, I had to uninstall Camino and then reinstalled it due to spiking problems with the CPU and the browser would become unresponsive. No problems with the computer at all either. Thanks for a reply.
Just some more information. I can change the home page in Camino using msnbc, aol, and other links and it holds.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

That sounds a lot like something reported previously here in the MozillaZine forums. With that one, and I suspect the same in your case, it turned out to be an advert being served from the offending home page which loaded something that was blocked by Camino's in-built ad-blocker (hence the blank page).

As for work-arounds, either turning off javascript or blocking the ad script's server, will stop the blank page issue. Usually though the ad is only temporarily shown on the site and will probably clear up in a few days time.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Clearing all your CNN cookies might help, too.

cl
Bagheria

Post by Bagheria »

Well thanks for the replies. In Camino I changed my home page to another news organization and it is working fine now. I opened CNN in another tab and it is working fine also. I had a similar problem with firefox where my CNN home page wasn't coming up, but a Mac forum site was coming up instead of the CNN site that I had set up. No matter what I did, when I opened Firefox it would open up to the Mac forum. I uninstalled Firefox and then re-installed it and that is working fine now too. Do browsers get corrupt?
Well in any event thanks for the replies.......
Bagheria

Post by Bagheria »

It is the Camino browser that is causing the spike in the cpu. I changed the home page in Camino and it is still spiking at 100 %. I had to force quit Camino and the spike dropped down to nothing of course. I then opened Safari with CNN as my home page and the CPU is down to a normal range. I use iState Menus 3 which showed the abnormal spike in Camino and it showed a solid red and the browser would become unresponsive.Now using Safari which I'd rather not and CNN as my home page I don't get the spike in the CPU. Any other suggestions because like I've said that I've been using Camino for 5 years now and never had a problem before until just a few days ago. I hadn't changed any extensions or added anything to Camino before this problem. It's only the browser because everything else works fine, mail etc.
Bagheria

Post by Bagheria »

Still haven't resolved the problem. I have been forced to use Safari. Camino keeps spiking my CPU way up there and then becomes unresponsive and have to force quit Camino. Like I've said I uninstalled and reinstalled the browser, but still the same problem. I really wish I knew what was causing it, because I prefer Camino. All other browsers I have tried work fine. 