Firefox 10, disable url notes on bottom of screen

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trodas

Firefox 10, disable url notes on bottom of screen

Post by trodas »

I wonder, how can I disable this annoying messages at the bottom of my screen, Fifefox 10.0.10 ESR:

Anyone have any idea? Sometimes it stays there, persisting a long time:

...sometimes it hide away fast. Any ideas? I tried search, but I don't even know what this is called, so... :( No luck.

It also bugged me to see this outdated plugin message:
...but I managed to find by "plugins" in the about:config the option "plugins.hide_infobar_for_outdated_plugin", set it to true and problem went away :) Good. Now just the first one, pls.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :-) my config - my caps
trodas

Re: Firefox 10, disable url notes on bottom of screen

Post by trodas »

Find a way! Into UserChrome.css added this:

Code: Select all

/* hide the bottom URL status panel */

statuspanel { display: none !important; }

...a it kill it right away! :D

However now why the buttons back and forward does not work. It sure did not be the cause by this Chrome settings, since it did not work even before. Right after the uprate from v3 na v10 ...

Maybe some other modifications in UserChrome.css caused it? So, there is my UserChrome.css:

Code: Select all

menuitem[id="subscribeToPageMenuitem"],
menuitem[command="Browser:BookmarkAllTabs"],
menuseparator[id="organizeBookmarksSeparator"],
menu[id="bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu"] + menuseparator
{
display: none !important;
}

#history-menu {display: none !important}

/* hide live feed icon in Address url toolbar */
#feed-button {
  display: none !important;
}

/* disable icons in bookmarks menu list */
menuitem.bookmark-item > .menu-iconic-left { display: none; }

/* hide star button in the url bar */
#urlbar-icons > #star-button{
  display:  none !important;
}

/* hide the bottom URL status panel */

statuspanel { display: none !important; }

Any ideas?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :-) my config - my caps
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The link status text is an important security feature. You are supposed to look at that to make sure links are what they say they are so you don't end up on spoof or attack pages.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I find the link display important but I hate to see it in the window. One other way to get it, however, is with the extension Status-4-Evar, available at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... src=search

Basically, once you place the bar on the screen, it will display links in the status bar by default, like it used to be many years ago.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
patrickjdempsey

Putting into the urlbar was actually the most logical solution IMO but Mozilla botched their one attempt at doing this and then abandoned it during 4.0 development.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
trodas

Post by trodas »

Regardless, it is still better to have a way to disable it. Easier one that editing the UserChrome.css might be better, but what the hell...

I prefer a HW firewall and blocking known bad pages using hosts file. Worked great for me for a very long time.
patrickjdempsey

They didn't make it easy to disable because like I said, it's an important security feature. And this isn't about *known* pages, it's about unknown attack pages.... which obviously are always going to be more than known pages.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

trodas wrote:Easier one that editing the UserChrome.css might be better

1. Install the aforementioned Status-4-Evar.
  2. Open the Add-ons Manager, then the Extensions category.
  3. Click the Options button next to the Status-4-Evar entry.
  4. In the Status-4-Evar Preferences window that opens, click the Status icon at the top, then the General tab below.
  5. If you don't want any status messages at all (e.g. “Waiting for en.wikipedia.org...”), select Show status in: None
  6. If you don't want the target URL displayed when you place the cursor over a link, choose Show links in: None
  7. Click the OK button when finished.
trodas

Post by trodas »

Interesting add on. Hoever I'm back to v3.0.14, because v10.0.10 is slow and problematic as hell. The speed is the main reason. The HW acceleration might help on some machines, but there it bog everything down (FX5200) to turtle speed. Even opening many, many windows is likely to cause a total crash (monitor went off signal and that it is). Never happend with v3.0.14 ever.
Also, on very popular Xchat.cz chat server opening a new "whisper" private talk window bog my PC as much, as even WinAMP pause in playing mp3 or module... Now that is not something I can live with. Once again, I trust more my common sense and block everything I spot weird on sight and I prefer not to be bothered with stats lines and such. I think this is a my choice, you can dubt it, but that it is. The choice is mine and I take the responsibility. FF v3 never failed me and catched something nasty, so... I think it is a proven browser :) Regardless, you seen someone actually using a exploit for W2k and FF3?

Answer for yourself :)

PS. and I like Gmail in plain html also! :D
patrickjdempsey

trodas wrote:Regardless, you seen someone actually using a exploit for W2k and FF3?

Actually, out-of-date OS's and browsers are EXACTLY what hackers and bot nets target. Just like car thieves like certain models of cars that have steering columns that are easy to break into with a screw-driver.
James

Post by James »

Well I guess this thread is done with since you decided to downgrade even more so to a version that came out about four and half years ago (not referring to the security updates) and skipped 3.6 and 3.5 even.

I did not lock thread.