caching issues

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Bergamot

caching issues

Post by Bergamot »

I've had this problem for several months now with various nightly builds. It happens very randomly so I don't know how to collect info to file a bug report and I'm looking for suggestions on what to look for. I've searched bugzilla but haven't found anything similar to my problem.

Browser cache prefs:
- Let Seamonkey manage cache: enabled or not doesn't matter
- Cache size: 2048
- Compare the page to cache: Every time I view the page
- Prefetch: disabled, though I don't think it matters

What happens (and very sporadically):
Using the 'back' button (actually keyboard ALT+left) results in a browser "not found" error, such as one gets when it cannot communicate with the host. Clicking on the "try again" button at the bottom of this page doesn't help. Sometimes a forced reload will load the page, sometimes not. Sometimes a page will load but without the stylesheet applied.

I have viewed about:cache and see the associated file(s) listed, complete with sizes, but Seamonkey apparently isn't always finding them or is otherwise unable to load them. Occasionally this happens viewing a page online but more often on localhost (WAMP server) where I do testing on client sites. Some of these are static web pages, others db driven. There is no discernible pattern. It can go for days, even weeks, without issue then suddenly this pops up out of nowhere. Clearing cache doesn't help and nothing relevant shows up in the JavaScript console. I am virus free and system scans show nothing out of the ordinary.

Is there some other log or debugging thing I can enable to help collect data for a bug report, or maybe even fix the cause myself? Maybe remove some file in the profile or change another pref setting?
vazhavandan

Re: caching issues

Post by vazhavandan »

Can you investigate the http headers in the application?
They might be coding that way. I can set page expiry when writing out my response object. Example in JAVA/J2EE i do this
You are not supposed to use browser buttons in those pages. Use the buttons on the page.
James

Post by James »

If you are going to make a bug report you should see if you still have the issue(s) in recent Nightly as your build appears to be a week old? due to having Gecko/20.0 and not Gecko/builddate
Bergamot

Post by Bergamot »

James, I've filed dozens of bug reports so I know the drill. I always double check in the most recently nightly before filing a bug. When possible, I even download past nightlies and see if I can determine exactly when the problem started. This one has been going on for months so it won't be possible to find the first occurrence.

vazhavandan, checking the http headers is a good idea. Maybe the Live HTTP Headers extension will shed some light. thanks.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Bergamot wrote:vazhavandan, checking the http headers is a good idea. Maybe the Live HTTP Headers extension will shed some light. thanks.

Developers tend to play with headers mainly because IE has a tendency to keep showing/displaying previously cached versions of a webpage no matter how many times you refresh.