Can't stop tabs warn on close popup

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Re: Can't stop tabs warn on close popup

Post by smsmith »

Sabardeyn wrote:The point is, the program core should have a limited number of features and capabilities that meet the requirements of 85% or more of the user base.

The Firefox user base is completely different today than it was when Firefox was Phoenix and Firebird. As much as we would like to believe it, those of us that run the Nightly build do not equal the majority of the user base any more.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
waltdisneypixar

Post by waltdisneypixar »

Sabardeyn wrote:Honestly more and more of Firefox's development is about adding needless bells and whistles to the core feature set of the program that does not universally fulfill the needs of all users. This was one of the primary reasons Firefox was a huge success. It allowed the user to chose what features they wanted and how they preferred these features to be implemented. Now we're getting any number of "must have" features added into the program's core functionality that people either don't use, dis-like the implementation, or presents security issues that are inadequately considered.

We won't even get into the options page vs about:config situation with these two items being more and more out of sync with one another.

Honestly, IMO, Firefox is going to make one too many changes and several thousands of users are going to say "That's it!" and leave en mass. I know I'm getting closer and closer to that point. I love this new addition, the new pop-ups for downloading/passwords (NOT!), the forthcoming inclusion of Social Networking (NOT!), the... hmm, I'm ranting.

The point is, the program core should have a limited number of features and capabilities that meet the requirements of 85% or more of the user base. Everything else should be optional based on the user's needs. Or are too many of the user's too inept to find an extension to do whatever they need? Because, by shoving all of this trash down our throats, that is what Firefox is implying about their users.

=D>
Djoker

Post by Djoker »

Bokar is spot on with his/her observations. It is good to see it getting fixed eventually. I cannot believe that this anti-bug was originally filed in 2005 and taken out of the graveyard in 2012, where it actually belongs, to cause such annoyance. We want Firefox not Nannyfox.

Dingler wrote:It will be back into Firefox 17b4.

Firefox 17 ships on 20 November 2012.

EDIT: Correction
Last edited by Djoker on November 13th, 2012, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Djoker wrote:
Dingler wrote:It will be back into Firefox 17b4.

Firefox 17b4 which ships on 20 November 2012.

20 Nov. ?
latest is 17b5.
and already released.

20. Nov. is Firefox 17 release day. not 17b4
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
Djoker

Post by Djoker »

Sorry. I have got this wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone who is plagued by these constant warnings knows that a solution is close.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

So you dragged a month old thread up...... nice going
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Djoker

Post by Djoker »

malliz wrote:So you dragged a month old thread up...... nice going

Does that violate the etiquette here?

Search engines care about the content rather than the age of threads.

BTW, Firefox developers implemented a seven year old ill-conceived bug report in the first place.
trolly

Post by trolly »

If threads are too old (approx. six months without posts) they are regarded dead. And we do not need some Lazarus here.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
jsof

Post by jsof »

Where is the "Lazarus post" trolly?
Has this been fixed? Because I fail to understand your sarcasm.

And to the guy that speaks of Firefox userbase.Let's not forget FF core base has always been the power users.We don't have the need for "forced conveniences".
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

And we have no need for rude people yet we still get new ones all the time
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

jsof wrote:Has this been fixed?

It *has* been fixed, you just need to be patient and wait for Firefox 17. What else more more needs to be said about it?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
trolly

Post by trolly »

jsof wrote:Where is the "Lazarus post" trolly?...

You asked when posting in an old thread will be regarded as netiquette violation. I answered.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

I can report that the mandatory warning on other tab closing has been made not mandatory in FF17.0, which is out today.

Go to about:config and toggle to False the following:

browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs
CappyLarou

Post by CappyLarou »

it's fixed...just hit the about:config browser:tabs:....you'll see them...thank you FF17
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

I just installed 17.0.1 from 15 and browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs was set to true. Toggling it to false removes the warning when closing other tabs.

Oddly, on my XP desktop, it was also set to true, but when closing other tab s I never got a warning!

Ron
and sorry I posted this after only reading Page 1.