Keep going offline

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cgret

Keep going offline

Post by cgret »

I am using the latest version of Thunderbird. During the day, I will try to get mail and instead get an error message that "I am offline. Would I like to go online? I answer yes and nothing happens. I toggled the icons in the lower left corner with no success.
I check to make sure that I still have network access (I do) and I go to Firefox and can use the browser fine. The problem seems limited to Thunderbird and the only solution that works is to reboot the computer. This scenario happens many times each day.
Any suggestions? HELP!
DanRaisch

Re: Keep going offline

Post by DanRaisch »

Check under menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network & Diskspace->click on the "Offline" button->make sure that "Always start up online" is selected.
cgret

Post by cgret »

Thank you for your reply.
The "Always start up online" was selected. I did not have to change it. Any other suggestions?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does this occur on start up or only after you have had Thunderbird running for a time?
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Please confirm the specific version of Thunderbird you are using. Find that under Help->About Thunderbird.
cgret

Post by cgret »

I'm using version 17.0. This occurs after Thunderbird has been running for a time. I haven't tried the safe mode. will do so.
cgret

Post by cgret »

Another note to this problem, when I close the window, I cannot restart it. I get a message that Thunderbird is still running... BUT ITS NOT. Crazy.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When you say that it's not running, are you checking that in Windows Task Manager's Processes tab? Thunderbird may be running but the user interface may not be displayed.
cgret

Post by cgret »

Thank you for your reply. I had to go out for a meeting so pardon the delay in responding. I have not checked the Windows Task Mngr's Processes tab when the problem arose, but I will the next time it happens.
cgret

Post by cgret »

When I said Thunderbird was not running, I had closed it by hitting the X in the upper right corner and it went off the screen and also disappeared from the bottom bar. When I doubleclicked on the Thunderbird icon on my desktop, I was tole Thunderbird was still running, so I could not open the application.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, but at that point you need to check Windows Task Manager and view the list of active Processes, not the list of open applications.
cgret

Post by cgret »

It did it again. Both Foxfire and Thunderbird stalled on me. Both processes were running at the time on Windows Task Mngr.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try running in Safe Mode for a time to see if the problem occurs in that environment.
cgret

Post by cgret »

I am now running Thunderbird in safe mode. Will let you know the results. Thanks for the suggestion.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Good luck.
cgret

Post by cgret »

Both Firefox and Thunderbird locked up again. I closed both browsers, closed the process, restarted both programs and able to run again. What keeps causing them to lock up?