Firefox's Metro App version? (released sticky)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Re: Firefox's Metro App version?

Post by smsmith »

For the life of me, I can't get the metro version to run. I installed through the full installer available in the elm branch, removed Fx 17, made sure I wasn't causing the profile manager to launch, told the prompt to use Nightly as the default browser, but whenever I click the tile on the start screen, the desktop version launches. Nightly isn't already running.

Any tips on how to get this going?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Try setting the default through Control Panel, give Nightly all of the permissions it requests.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Unfortunately, I've done that, too. Is it working for you?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Yep, works here. Lemme see if I can track down an existing bug for this problem, maybe there's more suggestions.

Ooh, try giving IE all of its defaults, then back to Nightly?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Did that, too. ](*,) :-x

My account is a normal user. When I need to do admin related task, I get the UAC prompt. I do not get prompted when changing the default browser, which I know is something that Windows changed from 7 to 8. I tried changing it in my admin account, but that still launches the desktop.

I did an upgrade from Win7 to Win8. I think I might try creating a new user account and see if I can get it to work that way.

And by all means, please look to see if there's an open bug or other workarounds available. :D
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

It might even be the upgrade itself that's screwing things up. I've only done it with clean installs...
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I won't be going that route for a long time. Laptop has been with me for a while. Lots of files and whatnot. Backing everything up and restoring it would be such a pain at this point. Maybe if I get ambitious. I'll play with skydrive and see if that can be a solution instead of having to find 18 thumbdrives. :D

After having reread the thread, I am beginning to suspect it is because the problem machine is 32-bit Windows 8. Are you using 64-bit Windows or 32-bit Windows? The machine is capable of 64-bit, but again the hassle of the clean install.

And it's going to be some time before I find the next replacement. I'm waiting for a hybrid laptop/tablet that I actually like. Surface seems too small, the Yogapad scares me with the keyboard being exposed when in tablet mode, the others I have seen seem small storage and RAM wise. So... waiting.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

From a recent posting:
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... o-preview/

For those of you running the 64-bit RTM release of Windows 8, you can now download a nightly build of Mozilla Firefox from the Elm development branch and start testing.

So, it appears you HAVE to be running 64-bit Windows. :(
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Oh, yeah, I remember reading something about that. I think it's making assumptions about the registry or something.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Well, I went ahead and did the install to Win8 64. Still can't get Nightly to open in Metro or whatever they call it. :(
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Huh. Does the start screen tile look like the normal Nightly icon?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

No, it changed to the bigger Firefox icon on the nicer looking background and the IE tile changed to the smaller icon.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

But it still doesn't launch Metro Firefox?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Correct. :(

The account is an admin account (doesn't require me to type the password, but I do have to press ok/allow when installing software). I'm fairly certain that IE is closed when I try to reset Nightly as default, then close Nightly and launch from the start screen. Always goes back to desktop.

I'll try backing up the profiles, uninstalling and letting it wipe the personal data, then start completely clean.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Hrm, I've never seen the Metro-style tile launch the desktop app. I did have an issue where Metro Firefox would get stuck forever on the loading screen, but reinstalling a newer Nightly build fixed that.