Camino & Google

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Duelin

Camino & Google

Post by Duelin »

iMac Intel Core Duo 3.06, Camino 2.1.2

The problem started yesterday afternoon. For some reason the fonts that you type into the search field of Google is real small. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
marioscube

Re: Camino & Google

Post by marioscube »

Same problem here.

MacOSX 10.6 and 10.7.

Problem shows mainly on localized google (DE, BE, NL, ETC.).

Google.com is more or less ok.
marioscube

Post by marioscube »

Strange.......

Old version of Camino (2.0.2 on OSX 10.4) works perfect.

In fact it's version 2.1 and Google.xxx where xxx<>com that gives us users a problem. ](*,)

How to fix this? Any idea's anyone?
jneill999

Post by jneill999 »

Same here.

Also only affects local Google (Google.co.uk) and the logo is truncated too - just the "Goog" is visible.

Camino 2.1.2
MacOS 10.7.5

Browsing with Safari / Chrome is fine.
krs99

Post by krs99 »

The rendering in Camino 2.1.2 is really screwed up.

I reported this as a bug quite a while ago with some examples but all I got back was some half-hazard explanation that these were all website issues and Camino was just fine.

This is what I get with google Canada - left is Camino with the "le" cut off and Canada moved to the left.
Then there is text that shouldn't even be there

On the immediate right is Firefox, on the very right Safari.
Chrome looks the same as Firefox or Safari, just didn't comfortably on the screen

All the latest that will run on Mac 10.6.8

Image[img[[http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/krs/Camino%20Issues%20Camino-Firefox-Safari.jpg[/img]

BTW, this is not just an issue with google - that Camino rendering issue is all over the web with different websites.

What I don't understand, Camino supposedly uses the same rendering engine as Firefox - Firefox displays pages properly, Camino does not.
Why is that?
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

What Firefox version are you comparing against? As has been noted multiple times, unless you're using a Firefox version with the same Gecko major version (take a look in the bottom-right corner of your post), it's not a valid comparison.

cl
krs99

Post by krs99 »

Yes, I remember that.

This probably explains why Firefox and Camino render differently but from a user point of view that is irrelevant.
All they are expected to do is to use the latest officially released version of a browser.

With Camino the version I use is 2.1.2 which as far as I know is the latest version.
When I checked the google main page with Firefox, the message popped up that I didn't have the most recent version and to update my browser. So I did what every user would (or should) do, I updated.
The Firefox version now (that gave me the google page I posted) is 17.0.1
Safari is 5.1.7, not the latest out there but the latest that runs on OS 10.6.8

The other rendering issues I had with Camino 2.1.2 were not there with the previous issue of Camino, 2.0.3 I think that was.
These are not isolated cases - I come across a lot of websites where this version of Camino does not render the websites correctly. There are probably many more where the Camino problem is not obvious.
Even for this "google" issue - I assumed for weeks that google had changed their header as they often do.

Camino is still my favourite browser but I'm becoming a bit reluctant to use it if I can't depend on it to render websites correctly and completely.
krs99

Post by krs99 »

I went back to Camino 2.0.3 but that doesn't seem to be any better - I thought it was.

Here is another example of the rendering problems - this with Camino 2.0.3:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-317707-zh ... 1b2166c62d

Shows fine in Safari and Chrome, with Camino the whole centre of the page is missing
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Yeah, it looks like Google is doing something stupid when they see a UA string containing "Firefox/3" (or lower). If you take the "like Firefox" portion of Camino's UA string out, it renders normally.

cl
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

cflawson wrote:Yeah, it looks like Google is doing something stupid when they see a UA string containing "Firefox/3" (or lower).

Nah, they just didn't bother testing decently…
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The Google logo is an image, so that's not necessarily a font-related problem. It almost looks like some weird page-zoom issue.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

phiw13 wrote:
cflawson wrote:Yeah, it looks like Google is doing something stupid when they see a UA string containing "Firefox/3" (or lower).

Nah, they just didn't bother testing decently…

That would count as "doing something stupid" :-p

cl
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Did Google fixed this now ? I just checked various Google sites (com, .co.uk, .fr, .co.jp, .ca) and all display the logo correctly. And the font-size appears correctly as well afaict.
marioscube

Post by marioscube »

Looks like Google did fix it!

Google image and font is about the same as what I see in Safari, though not 100% the same, but it's ok for me.
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

cflawson wrote:Yeah, it looks like Google is doing something stupid when they see a UA string containing "Firefox/3" (or lower). If you take the "like Firefox" portion of Camino's UA string out, it renders normally.

cl

Nice tip. Thanks. I assume this can be done in about:config?