JAVA plugin question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Newfan

JAVA plugin question

Post by Newfan »

Now the plugin check screen says my Java is outdated - If I actually goto Java.com and do a check it says I have the most current version (Version 7 update 9). If I press the update button on the check your plugins screen it will take to a download screen where it states 'Recommended Version 7 Update 9"! Do I have the most current version of Java or not?
JayhawksRock

Re: JAVA plugin question

Post by JayhawksRock »

The way to know for sure what version you have is to check the version in Windows Control Panel > Add/ Remove Programs. I think the Mozilla checker maay be borked.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

See Java Platform > Java SE 7U10 or Java 6U38 (Download JRE)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
James

Post by James »

JayhawksRock wrote:The way to know for sure what version you have is to check the version in Windows Control Panel > Add/ Remove Programs. I think the Mozilla checker maay be borked.

Or rather just needs to be updated.
dufty

Post by dufty »

Same thing happened to me today:
Windows7 x64
I updated the JRE and JDK to the latest versions Java SE 7U10
Firefox 18 was not running during the installation
After starting Firefox only the JDK plugin was present, went to java.com got the same message to instal Java SE 7U09
Went investigating what happened
Seems that the update deleted the registry entry for the JavaPlugin and therefore it was not working, got the reg key from another machine and suddenly the Java SE 7U10 was in the plugins again

you can check the registry for this key if you have Windows 7 x64, if it is not there the Java plugin won't work!!
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I couldn't get the SE 7U10 Plugin to appear in WinXP Firefox 17.0.1, after trying to install it 3 times. I wonder if a missing registry key is the problem for me, too. Not going to worry about it for now, as I expect that Oracle will need to come up with a U11 version to fix it pretty quick. I sure as hell aren't going to waste anymore time today to see if it is a missing "key" - 3 reboots and 6 times going back into an Admin account is more than I usually have to do over the course of an entire year, normally.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

the-edmeister wrote:I couldn't get the SE 7U10 Plugin to appear in WinXP Firefox 17.0.1, after trying to install it 3 times. I wonder if a missing registry key is the problem for me, too. Not going to worry about it for now, as I expect that Oracle will need to come up with a U11 version to fix it pretty quick. I sure as hell aren't going to waste anymore time today to see if it is a missing "key" - 3 reboots and 6 times going back into an Admin account is more than I usually have to do over the course of an entire year, normally.
Ed

I don't know if this is still available, but I found a version on my PC I D/L'd a few months back, and it cleaned up the thing(s) I ask it to.
http://windows-installer-clean-up.software.informer.com/3.0/
It's in this thread regarding Java. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2524757&start=15

This one may be a better downloader for it.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility-Download-18442.html
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
StealthX

Post by StealthX »

Yeah I wish I would have checked this post before I updated Java. Firefox Plugin Check said I needed to update it, so I did and now it says Java is outdated (v7u10) and has been disabled.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

StealthX,

Open up the Add-ons > Plugins tab and click the Enable button.

tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Same issue - I updated to u10, plugin checker disabled Java after the install to u10, linked me to the old version, u9, on the Java site to get the updated download.

Uninstalled 10, reinstalled 9, plugin checker tells me that u9 is outdated and vulnerable.

Java doesn't show up in my plugins list now at all.

4 Questions:

1. Will Java not work now since it doesn't show up on my list of plugins?

2. Why does Java show up on the plugin checker and in my control panel, but not my addons list? I run XP3.

3. What is Java FX, and where did it come from? When I downloaded u10, there was a new version of FX, different than what shows in my control panel. Do I have to update FX as well? Why does FX not show up as a plugin or in the checker, but shows up in my control panel?

4. Do I need the Platform, Deployment Toolkit, as well as FX? When I go to update the Platform and Toolkit from the plugin checker, it links to the same spot: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I am getting more and more confused by Java and what is required...

What exactly do I need?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

If the Java(TM) Platform plugin doesn't appear in Add-ons > Plugins, and even if does appear and is disabled, Java won't work in Firefox.
The Java Deployment Toolkit isn't needed by the average user; it is mainly intended for Java developers.

I don't know what FX is used for, but Java should work properly without FX being installed.

There seems to be a problem with the Java U 10 installation procedure, some users are lacking the proper registry key which Firefox needs to be aware of the U10 Platform plugin being installed and where to find that plugin in the Java program files. That is something which Oracle is going to have to fix; which will probably be reason for yet another Java update.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It's also worth noting that if you do not actually *need* to use Java, you should probably disable or remove it as there have been several very serious Java exploits discovered in the wild which Oracle is slow to fix. Personally, I've completely removed it from my main machine with no plans on installing it again.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

edmeister: Thanks...It's not disabled, it simply doesn't show up anymore given this fire drill.

patrickj: You have completely removed Java? You really don't need it for anything?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

tpaulr wrote:patrickj: You have completely removed Java? You really don't need it for anything?

Have yet to find anything I need it for. In recent years many sites that used to use it have replaced it with JavaScript in the browser... largely because the major browsers have really ramped up the speed of their JS processing, and even IE8 and IE9 are standards-compliant *enough* for in-browser methods to work. I do need it at work because it's used for an IP interface for our air conditioning system, and that's literally the only place I've seen that requires it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Yerbouti

Post by Yerbouti »

dufty wrote:you can check the registry for this key if you have Windows 7 x64, if it is not there the Java plugin won't work!!
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin

My Java plugin disappeared after the update to u10, too.
This registry key is not there. So is there a way to fix this? Are there only some registry keys missing?
The Java plugin works with IE9.