How to load correct Flash version in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Peter-T

How to load correct Flash version in Firefox

Post by Peter-T »

Virtually immediately after installing of Firefox for the first time ever I tried Google street-view. It told me I need Flash v10 or newer and gave a link to install the latest. (Strange as I know street-view was working fine in IE & Chrome.) After downloading and installing it still didn't work. To cut a long story short, several re-installs etc, I checked what version was being loaded in Firefox from this link -

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

In the brand new Firefox it's Flash 9.0.28.0

How weird, I have just installed from "install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe" which I believe is v11

However in IE it's 11.5.502.135, and in Chrome it's 11.5.31.5 (which both work fine)

Odd, multiple versions, though according to the above link it seems the slightly different versions loading into IE & Chrome are indeed correct.

Searching it seems this issue appears has affected many people over several years, though I have yet to find advice about a viable solution (apart from uninstalling all versions of Flash and/or down grading).

So the problem is how to get Firefox to load to a suitable version (10+), without un-installing the respective Flash versions that are working fine in IE & Chrome.

TIA
the-edmeister

Re: How to load correct Flash version in Firefox

Post by the-edmeister »

Firefox and Opera are plugin-based browsers which use a different version of Flash than IE (ActiveX-based) and Chrome (Pepper-based). Which is mentioned on this page - http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ - along with the version number of the various versions of Flash per browser type.

Using Firefox download Flash from here. Adobe automatically supplies the correct version for the browser being used for the download.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Thanks but that link downloads exactly the same version of Flash I have already downloaded and installed several times. I'm sure Adobe is supplying the appropriate version, but Firefox appears to be loading the wrong version. Any other ideas?

In passing, refreshing this page (ie this post) takes several minutes during which it appears to hang, I notice in the left of the status bar below "Transferring data from Google-analytics". I know it's off-topic but if would you by chance know how to disable that.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

the status bar below "Transferring data from Google-analytics"

In the Status-4-Evar settings uncheck "Show background network status...."
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Sorry for the total newbie question but where do I find "Status-4-Evar" settings (whatever they are). I've looked in all the menus incl all through Tools/Options
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I have the current version for Firefox, which is 11,5,502,135. That's exactly the version that is supplied by http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ . I don't know what your problem is. Make sure you have JavaScript enabled, and not blocked by an extension, when you view that page.

Another way to see what version you have is to look in Tools > Add-ons > Plugins. Look for Shockwave Flash.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Peter-T wrote:Sorry for the total newbie question but where do I find "Status-4-Evar" settings (whatever they are). I've looked in all the menus incl all through Tools/Options

Its an extension that brings back the old Status Bar behavior.. Check the Addons > Extensions section. If you dont have that extension or something similar, then IDK where thats caming from. the built in status is in a narrow popup.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I have the current version for Firefox, which is 11,5,502,135. That's exactly the version that is supplied by http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ . I don't know what your problem is.

As I mentioned in my OP 11,5,502,135 loads in my IE. I'm also pretty sure that's the version I've installed several times recently in various ways in Firefox in the last few hours.

VanillaMozilla wrote: Make sure you have JavaScript enabled, and not blocked by an extension, when you view that page.
Another way to see what version you have is to look in Tools > Add-ons > Plugins. Look for Shockwave Flash.

In Add-ons both "Java Deployment 'Toolkit" and "Java (TM) Platform" appear to be enabled as is "Shockwave Flash 9.0.28.0" !

From what I understand both IE and Firefox should load 11,5,502,135. IE certainly does but Firefox doesn't. I've no idea how Firefox has discovered some ancient version that seems to exist on this system, or how to persuade Firefox to load the current version which also exists (as IE does).

I still haven't discovered how to disable "google-analytics", that said that last few page refreshes of this page have loaded fine.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I get my versions of Flash from here - it tells you exactly which one you will need.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... tion3.html
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

No, you cannot use IE for this. When you go to the Adobe site, it sees what Web browser you are using, and it gives you the answer/software that is appropriate for your Web browser. And IE uses a completely different Flash than Firefox and other browsers. So leave IE out of this. It's completely irrelevant.

Now please go back and read my post carefully. As far as I can tell, all of the Adobe links presented so far work perfectly, including the one Anonymosity just posted.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

duplicate post removed
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on December 14th, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't know where you got it, but you appear to have the wrong file. For Firefox on Windows you need install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe.

Peter-T wrote:In Add-ons both "Java Deployment 'Toolkit" and "Java (TM) Platform" appear to be enabled as is "Shockwave Flash 9.0.28.0" !

That may be your problem. Something is very messed up. Before you install anything, you should probably uninstall what you have, using Add/Remove programs. Also check Tools > Options > Plugins and make sure nothing shows up. Don't worry about uninstalling these plugins. You can always reinstall this stuff later.
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Anonymosity wrote:I get my versions of Flash from here - it tells you exactly which one you will need.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... tion3.html

Thanks but that just confirms what I already know. I believe I have installed the correct version for Firefox several times
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

@ VanillaPost, re "No, you cannot use IE for this. When you go to the Adobe site, it sees what Web browser you are using, and it gives you the answer/software that is appropriate for your Web browser. And IE uses a completely different Flash than Firefox and other browsers. So leave IE out of this. It's completely irrelevant."

If you say IE is irrelevant fair enough but excuse my confusion as Adobe's page (link cited in my OP and others) advises the same version is applicable for both IE and Firefox, namely 11.5.502.135

I have have reviewed all the links, I have used them several times. I also have no doubt the links are correct.

To clarify, I have installed what I believe is the correct version for Firefox via Adobe from within Firefox. All the links that appear for the Adobe download specifically mention Firefox - eg this is one of the slightly different links I have downloaded Flash from

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/downlo ... ffer=false

Every time the same and I believe correct installation file is downloaded, and subsequently installed.

IOW, via Firefox I have repeatedly downloaded and installed v11 for Firefox but Firefox persists in loading v9
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I don't know where you got it, but you appear to have the wrong file. For Firefox on Windows you need install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe.

Peter-T wrote:In Add-ons both "Java Deployment 'Toolkit" and "Java (TM) Platform" appear to be enabled as is "Shockwave Flash 9.0.28.0" !

That may be your problem. Something is very messed up. Before you install anything, you should probably uninstall what you have, using Add/Remove programs. Also check Tools > Options > Plugins and make sure nothing shows up. Don't worry about uninstalling these plugins. You can always reinstall this stuff later.

"...where you got IT.." I take it you mean the Flash v9 rather than the two Java things I mentioned. Indeed that's the route of the problem but to uninstall it using the Adobe uninstallation app means uninstalling ALL versions of Flash including those that are working fine in IE & Chrome which I don't particularly want to do. In Control panel add/remove only Adobe Flash 11 ActiveX is listed, presumably the version for IE.

I know I'm repeating myself but I believe I have installed the correct version for Firefox, but Firefox loads the wrong version.