JAVA plugin question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tpaulr

Re: JAVA plugin question

Post by tpaulr »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
tpaulr wrote:patrickj: You have completely removed Java? You really don't need it for anything?

Have yet to find anything I need it for. In recent years many sites that used to use it have replaced it with JavaScript in the browser... largely because the major browsers have really ramped up the speed of their JS processing, and even IE8 and IE9 are standards-compliant *enough* for in-browser methods to work. I do need it at work because it's used for an IP interface for our air conditioning system, and that's literally the only place I've seen that requires it.

patrickj: Interesting.

I use a platform for strategic planning that requires Java because it's written in Java - seems that a lot of platforms within that class of software are written in Java (not JS).

Thanks so much, as always...
dufty

Post by dufty »

Yerbouti wrote:
dufty wrote:you can check the registry for this key if you have Windows 7 x64, if it is not there the Java plugin won't work!!
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin

My Java plugin disappeared after the update to u10, too.
This registry key is not there. So is there a way to fix this? Are there only some registry keys missing?
The Java plugin works with IE9.

I fixed it with this reg file.
1. Just create a file for example fix.reg copy the contents below,
2. fix the path to your Java,
3. save
4. Double click the file
5. Restart Firefox and Java is there

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin]
"Description"="Oracle® Next Generation Java™ Plug-In"
"GeckoVersion"="1.9"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\plugin2\\npjp2.dll"
"ProductName"="Oracle® Java™ Plug-In"
"Vendor"="Oracle Corp."
"Version"="170_10"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet]
"Description"="Java™ Applet"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=160_31]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.5]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.6]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.7]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm]
"Description"="Java™ Virtual Machine"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm-npruntime]

StealthX

Post by StealthX »

dufty wrote:
Yerbouti wrote:
dufty wrote:you can check the registry for this key if you have Windows 7 x64, if it is not there the Java plugin won't work!!

My Java plugin disappeared after the update to u10, too.
This registry key is not there. So is there a way to fix this? Are there only some registry keys missing?
The Java plugin works with IE9.

I fixed it with this reg file.
1. Just create a file for example fix.reg copy the contents below,
2. fix the path to your Java,
3. save
4. Double click the file
5. Restart Firefox and Java is there

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin]
"Description"="Oracle® Next Generation Java™ Plug-In"
"GeckoVersion"="1.9"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\plugin2\\npjp2.dll"
"ProductName"="Oracle® Java™ Plug-In"
"Vendor"="Oracle Corp."
"Version"="170_10"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=160_31]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.5]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.6]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.7]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm]
"Description"="Java™ Virtual Machine"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm-npruntime]

Do NOT do this. It does not work and deleted every login / password I have saved for Firefox.
drghughes

Post by drghughes »

Do I need to populate the registry key with any values? Or is creating the location enough?

Thanks!
project_mercy

Post by project_mercy »

tpaulr wrote:edmeister: Thanks...It's not disabled, it simply doesn't show up anymore given this fire drill.

patrickj: You have completely removed Java? You really don't need it for anything?

I'm still running U7 on a VM for testing purposes, and the latest Firefox update is implicitly disabling it without saying anything or notifying the user.

When Firefox patched, it complained about the version and popped up the nag screen. I clicked "Do not disable", and it continued to work for a day or two. Today it just won't load applets.

This is a bug, not a support issue. If it's enabled, it needs to work. Saying it's enabled and then just not running things is deceptive and confusing for users. I have users who use this on a regular basis. After the last two Firefox java knee-jerks, I've just put up a note on login suggesting people stop using Firefox. I'm tired of it.

And yes, I do actually need java for my app. At least until you can make sure that everyone in the world is using a full HTML5 browser. For us that's like 4%, and many of our users are institutions where upgrading is not an option.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

It needs values... See the posts above yours. It Does pay to read the thread :roll:
Do you actually need Java ? I uninstalled it 2 years ago...
http://www.informationweek.com/security ... /240007985
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Hello,
So I transcribe here what I posted here :
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2631185
An annoying problem when updating Java 7 update 10 in some OS like XP SP3 (erratic problem).
The Java plugin is not recognized in Firefox. Why ?
The installer did not add in the registry line
HKey_Local_Machine -->Software -> MozillaPlugins
@java.com / JavaPlugin, version = 10.4.0
with the key:
Path C: \ Program Files \ Java \ jre7 \ bin \ plugin2 \ npjp2.dll
How then, with IE, the plugin works but not with Chrome !
I have not found a simple solution to solve this problem ! Uninstall Java itself is not always enough !
Other causes of dysfunction are like this :
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u10-relnotes-1880995.html
Area: deploy/plugin
Synopsis: Enabled Plug-in option status is not updated in Java control panel on Windows platform.
Due to a bug in JDK 7u10 on Windows, after the user disabled Java and re-enabled it from Java Control Panel's Enable Java Content in Browser check box, the Java Plug-in registered for Internet Explorer will become the old Plug-in.
In order to re-enable the default (new) plug-in, please check the check box named Enable the next generation Java Plug-in, in Java Control Panel's Advanced tab.

Is there a problem with Firefox ?
And you ?
Regards
project_mercy

Post by project_mercy »

I'm talking about U7 not U10. Mine has the registry setting. Firefox finds it fine. It flags it as outdated (you can even see it in the DOM if you look at firebug). The issue is, even though I have it flagged as enabled in the plugins screen IT DOES NOT RUN IT.

If it says "enabled" and doesn't run it.. then it's clearly not enabled.

I'd be happy to get rid of Java when someone comes up with a way for me to scan a local drive, find GBs of data files, parse them, then zip and upload user specified images from that set as a web app, work on OSX and Windows : all versions of chrome, IE7+ and Mozilla 3.6+. Those were the requirements handed to me. Maybe you know of a crafty jQueryUI plugin for that?
drghughes

Post by drghughes »

JayhawksRock wrote:It needs values... See the posts above yours. It Does pay to read the thread :roll:

It's difficult to know what to do when you see

StealthX wrote:Do NOT do this. It does not work and deleted every login / password I have saved for Firefox.

in response to the post I'm assuming you're saying I should read, but thanks for the confirmation.

JayhawksRock wrote:Do you actually need Java ? I uninstalled it 2 years ago...
http://www.informationweek.com/security ... /240007985

Yes, unless there is a way to run http://hsqldb.org/ and http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html without it.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

drghughes wrote:Yes, unless there is a way to run http://hsqldb.org/ and http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html without it.

This site http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html runs on flash for me. May be that they are sniffing for plugins, which many sites do, and serving me the Flash version.

This site > http://hsqldb.org/ requires Java to run its apps, but I can navigate the site OK without... Java Applications will always exist in closed (secure) environments. On the web javascript with Flash is still the most popular now but even Flash, like Java will be replaced with HTML5 because of huge security holes.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
drghughes

Post by drghughes »

JayhawksRock wrote:This site http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html runs on flash for me. May be that they are sniffing for plugins, which many sites do, and serving me the Flash version.

Since you're being so picky, are you sure that you were actually at the address that I quoted?

I really wasn't expecting you to go to all this trouble but since you are, try registering for the site and trying the link again. You should see a big grey square in the middle of the screen saying that a plugin is required.

JayhawksRock wrote:This site > http://hsqldb.org/ requires Java to run its apps, but I can navigate the site OK without

Exactly what do you think is news to me in that statement?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

drghughes wrote:Yes, unless there is a way to run http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html without it.

No there isn't, the main F1 page uses Flash but to get Live Timing one needs Java and has to register.
It's pretty much the only site I use Java on and the only reason I don't uninstall it..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
drghughes

Post by drghughes »

mightyglydd wrote:the main F1 page uses Flash but to get Live Timing one needs Java and has to register.
It's pretty much the only site I use Java on and the only reason I don't uninstall it..

Nice to see another F1 fan. Any chance that you have a solution?
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Removing JavaFX fixed things for me. So if you have it showing up in "Programs" try uninstalling it.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

RPMozley wrote:Removing JavaFX fixed things for me. So if you have it showing up in "Programs" try uninstalling it.

RPMozley,

Ah Ha! It worked.

After all the back and forth through a number of threads, your suggestion is the only thing that worked - FF now recognizes Java U10, and the plugin checker didn't show any anomalies.

Thanks so very much...