email problems - talktalk to blueyonder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Purgatory

email problems - talktalk to blueyonder

Post by Purgatory »

I use the latest version of TB (and have done so for many years) - My ISP is talktalk - and I use a netgear DGN3500.
Approx two weeks ago, I became aware that mail was not getting through to blueyonder.co.uk addresses. This is one way, theirs is getting through to me. My problem is with blueyonder.co.uk only, mail to all other addresses continues as before.

I have been everywhere done everything - but no success.
Using my gmail account - there is no problem
Using Talktalk webmail - there is no problem.
Because of this I suspected that perhaps my email client needs to be looked at. Today I have uninstalled TB, and then re-installed. Some mail has been sent from my pop3 talktalk account (requesting read receipts) so await any further developments.

Is anyone aware if blueyonder has a block on TT? or treats it as spam?
Your thoughts would be appreciated
Purgatory
tanstaafl

Re: email problems - talktalk to blueyonder

Post by tanstaafl »

You aren't getting any error message?

If you send a message to somebody in both blueyonder.co.uk and another domain (two recipients), does that create an error message?
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

NO - not getting any error messages at all.
Will try a two recipient message, and see what happens
Thanks for your help
Purgatory
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

Interesting - tried a 2 recipient message (IE 1 to blueyonder + 1 to myself) - no joy, nothing received and no error messages.
Just to check, I then mailed myself singly - no problem.
Purgatory
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You could enable smtp logging per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news and verify that the smtp server accepted the message and did not return an error, but I suggest you just replace the accounts smtp server with the gmail smtp server. You will need to register your talktalk email address with gmail to do that. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... Exceptions
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

Thank-you for your comments tanstaafl
afraid it has reached a stage that is 'outside my knowledge/comfort zone.'
Many thanks
Purgatory
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_SMTP ... hunderbird

All that you need to do is to go to tools -> account settings -> talktalk (the main entry for it, not one of its child pages such as server settings) and choose the Gmail SMTP server from the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" pulldown list. Then login into Gmail webmail using a browser and add your talktalk email address to Settings -> Accounts -> "Add another email address".
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

This problem has now been solved - its a long long story, but I will spare you all the details.

In the end, quite simply it was the Avast free AV program that was the culprit. It seems the email scanners were giving the problem - WHY this should be selective and effect blueyonder only - still remains a complete mystery. Also strange is the fact that I have used Avast for several years without any problem whatsoever!
I have 2 PC's + a laptop.
As I changed the AV program on each machine - in each case I was then able to send/receive mail to and from blueyonder addresses without any problem. Why the problem started in the first place is anybody's guess!!
Purgatory