Can't delete Java Deployment Toolkit (Fx17.0.1 Win7/64)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Daledoc1

Can't delete Java Deployment Toolkit (Fx17.0.1 Win7/64)

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi:

Having trouble removing Java Deployment Toolkit from a new Win7/64 DT running Fx17.0.1.
I've successfully done it in the past on my 2 other rigs, but can't seem to figure it on this new rig.
It is a new, clean profile that was built from scratch, except for importing bookmarks.

I had temporarily installed JRE 7U10 on this new computer, b/c I thought one of my 3rd-party programs needed it.
When I found that not to be the case, I uninstalled it.
However, the Java Deployment Toolkit is still listed in Fx plug-ins (I was able to disable it).

I followed the instructions here, as I've done in the past:
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/25/how-to ... m-firefox/

However, unlike in past instances, NO search of the Firefox program files folder or even a Windows explorer search turns up that particular dll file (npdeploytk.dll) anywhere on the system.
In fact, for some strange reason, I don't even see this folder in this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins
So, I cannot locate it to delete it.
I've never had to use JavaRa before, but I'm thinking I might need to resort to it this time to chunk this out.

Questions:

1) Did I mess up by uninstalling JRE BEFORE attempting to remove the Java Deployment Toolkit?
2) How can I remove it from Firefox?
3) If I need to use JavaRa, what is the current, stable build & is it safe (this is a new computer & I don't want to screw something up)?

TIA,

daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
Daledoc1

Re: Can't delete Java Deployment Toolkit (Fx17.0.1 Win7/64)

Post by Daledoc1 »

<polite bump, please>

Anyone?

Thanks!
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Find the reference to it in this Windows registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins and delete it. That key is where Firefox looks for the path to the DLL
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi, JHR:

It's not there, either.

It appears to be some sort of zombie.
(FWIW, although I knew it wouldn't work, I also tried a clean reinstall of Fx, to no avail.)

Weirdest of all, I've done this successfully several times in the past on my other 2 Win7 boxes.

Can't figure out what's happening on this one...

Thanks,

daledoc1
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Then the database for the plugins may be corrupt in Firefox. With Firefox closed, in your profile find file pluginreg.dat and delete or rename it and on Startup Firefox will re-discover the plugins in that registry list. More info here > http://kb.mozillazine.org/About&#058;plugins

You may need to be running as Admin.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

When I did that, it simply brought it back enabled.
It's still not listed in the registry or in the Mozilla program files folder.
(Needless to say, there's no other obvious trace of Java on the system...)

I'm stumped.

I guess the next step will be to create a new profile?
Or Java Ra?
Or just live with it, disabled?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

When all else Fails ](*,) :? thats what I have done http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/ And when you reinstall download the Full installer direct from oracle only and shutdown your A/V software and any other OS level security before installing
Good Luck ! :)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

JayhawksRock wrote:When all else Fails ](*,) :? thats what I have done http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/ And when you reinstall download the Full installer direct from oracle only and shutdown your A/V software and any other OS level security before installing
Good Luck ! :)

It's been quite a while since I've had Java installed on my system, but I seem to remember that it can be removed through the Java link in the Windows Control Panel. Although, I could be mistaken.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

First enable Deployment Toolkit plugin.
Then try this:
in address bar type: about:config
search: plugin.expose_full_path
Toggle to true
in address bar type: about:plugins
You should be able to see the path, write down the path, go to it and delete the Deployment Toolkit with Firefox closed.

Hope the above will work for you?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Daledoc,
Just a small addition to the ^ above pref.
Make sure that you reset it afterwards to "False" for security.

Seasons Greetings.

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

@ LAR Grizzly:

Had already done that first. This is a remnant left over AFTER that. Thanks, though.

@ Oma1942:

Yes, had already tried that, too. It simply doesn't exist in the expected location, but is only showing up as a listed plugin in Fx. Thanks.

@ Limpet235:

Thanks very much for that reminder to reset the preference. I will do that.

@ JHR:

Well, it looks as if it will be Java Ra.
Will give it a try and let you know.
I had originally installed the full installer directly from Oracle.

Since I don't need it, I don't plan to reinstall it -- I wonder though, if I should **temporarily** reinstall Java and then try the uninstall again?
I wonder though, will reinstalling Java create a 2nd, "real" instance of the Java Deployment Toolkit, in addition to the "zombie" version I'm seeing?

Thanks,

daledoc1
Daledoc1

[SOLVED]Re: Can't delete Java Deployment Toolkit

Post by Daledoc1 »

OMG, I am SOOOOOOOO stoopid.

Oma1942, I tried your approach again after a night's sleep (even though I thought I had done it all correctly the first time or two)...
... the "about:plugins" step was the key, as the correct file path on this x64 system turned out to be c:\Windows\SysWOW64\npdeployJava1.dll
There it was!
Deleted it and now the Java Deployment Toolkit is gone!

I'm rather embarrassed for having subjected all you kind and expert folks to the inconvenience.

My old age is catching up with me, it seems. :roll:

Thanks to all of you for your patience and expertise! :D

daledoc1
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Daledoc1, glad it worked for you. :)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Re: [SOLVED]Re: Can't delete Java Deployment Toolkit

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Daledoc1 wrote:Thanks to all of you for your patience and expertise! :D

=D>
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18