The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support..

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
ming2194

The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support..

Post by ming2194 »

The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support UIDL or XTND XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail, turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in the Account Settings window.

My TB (ver. 9.0.1) can not download emails normally. Whenever I tried to press the "download email" button the above msg popped out. For the three options mentioned in the msg, I clicked only the ``Leave on Server'' and I need it since I want my emails remained on the main server of the account. How can I solve my problem?

My accounts' server setting: ( I am using Chinese version of TB so if you can't read just open the server setting on your own TB and read with the corresponding position of the option. Thanks.. :? )

http:/www.imageupload.org/?d=F69916581
Last edited by Daifne on May 9th, 2017, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link now redirects to an ad server
ming2194

Re: The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not suppo

Post by ming2194 »

:(:(:(:(
ming2194

Post by ming2194 »

WHY??
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Nothing we can do about it. The server (which is under control of Yahoo) does not support the option you require. The only solution we can offer is that you change email provider (and email address with that).
ming2194

Post by ming2194 »

Freee!! wrote:Nothing we can do about it. The server (which is under control of Yahoo) does not support the option you require. The only solution we can offer is that you change email provider (and email address with that).

Ok.. finally there are someone showing to help me. THANKS...
By the way do u know which email provider would not have such a limitation except hotmail and yahoo? ](*,)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

According to http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 859AAqqv8E it was a temporary problem with the POP server. I've also found old posts about a similar glitch where exiting and restarting Thunderbird worked around the problem.

You could switch to using a IMAP account with Yahoo. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Yahoo
ming2194

Post by ming2194 »

tanstaafl wrote:According to http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 859AAqqv8E it was a temporary problem with the POP server. I've also found old posts about a similar glitch where exiting and restarting Thunderbird worked around the problem.

You could switch to using a IMAP account with Yahoo. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Yahoo

If I switch all my yahoo accounts (about a number of 2x accounts) to IMAP, I would not suffer that problem anymore and can receive and send email normally? Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I have had two IMAP Yahoo accounts for over a year and have never had that problem.
Alexandre Oberlin

Post by Alexandre Oberlin »

Hi all,

Two yahoo.fr POP3 accounts are configured on my TB 12.01 X11, and one of them has stopped downloading mail a few days ago giving the above mentioned message. The other yahoo.fr POP3 account (which has less volume I must say) still works normally on TB. The messages on the first account however can be seen using web mail and can even be downloaded using Opera mail, so I begin to suspect this might be a TB issue. I use "Leave messages on server" on both accounts and both clients.

Cheers,

Alexandre
chipinnc

Post by chipinnc »

TB Portable 16.X seems to work fine, but version 17.0 complains, incorrectly, that it's not supported by the server. They screwed it up...

"The POP3 mail server (pop.mail.yahoo.com) does not support UIDL or XTND XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail, turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in the Account Settings window."
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That is a known bug in the Yahoo POP server that periodically causes that. Seems to be due to how they process the information about what capabilities Thunderbird has, so it may not occur with every version.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Yahoo#The_POP ... ND_or_XLST

That is one reason why I recommend using a IMAP, not a POP account with Yahoo.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Never had those problems with Yahoo, might be a problem with a specific server or group of servers as I have a Yahoo email address @yahoo.co.uk (surprised me too after I signed up, not complaining though as it allowed POP connections a lot earlier than @yahoo.com addresses).
DVB

Post by DVB »

I know this is an old topic -- but exactly the same thing has just started happening to me, last night and now this morning, out of the blue. I can't tell if the source of the problem is Yahoo or Thunderbird -- but it means that Tb isn't receiving any emails from my Yahoo accounts (used for lists etc). It's obviously a glitch somewhere -- but where? And is there anything I can do to put it right, or will it solve itself at some point?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

According to the post from tanstaafl above, it's on the Yahoo side and happens periodically and disappears without doing anything in Thunderbird.

Now, the original thread has been dead for five years and some of the participants are no longer participating on the forums. I'm locking this but you can start a new topic if the issue doesn't resolve on its own in a reasonable time.