Logged out of Facebook sidebar and cannot log back in

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
omegawolf7747

Logged out of Facebook sidebar and cannot log back in

Post by omegawolf7747 »

When I click on the link that says, "Not logged in" in the dropdown menu from the Facebook icon, it merely takes me to the Facebook homepage and gives me no opportunity to log the sidebar back in. I am logged into my FB account at the site. Isn't that supposed to be enough to keep me logged in through the sidebar?
My computer and smartphone feel the pain of my wrath when they don't function as they are supposed to.
DanRaisch

Re: Logged out of Facebook sidebar and cannot log back in

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).
omegawolf7747

Post by omegawolf7747 »

I did what you said, logged back into Facebook and clicked the green "Turn on" button on the Messenger for Firefox page. However, the Facebook icon and sidebar don't appear and are not available in the View>Sidebars menu.

Thank you.
My computer and smartphone feel the pain of my wrath when they don't function as they are supposed to.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I just "Removed from Firefox", Facebook Messenger, then went to the Messenger for Firefox page, and activated the "Turn On" button.

A totally empty sidebar appeared, so I Quit, then restarted Firefox, and the normal sidebar appeared. Had no problem with the icon.

Sorry I can't test the Log In as I don't have a FB account.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
omegawolf7747

Post by omegawolf7747 »

I cleared cache and cookies again and reactivated. This time, I got the icon to show up again, but it still says I'm not logged in. :-(

When I check Show Sidebar, the sidebar says, "Firefox is unable to connect with Facebook Messenger right now" and has two buttons Try Again and Close This SIdebar under it. If I click Try Again, the blue throbber appears for a few seconds, but then just goes back to the error message.
tdmomega2013

Post by tdmomega2013 »

I am seeing the same results starting today. Did Facebook make a change to break this?
shabazosu

Post by shabazosu »

omegawolf7747 wrote:When I click on the link that says, "Not logged in" in the dropdown menu from the Facebook icon, it merely takes me to the Facebook homepage and gives me no opportunity to log the sidebar back in. I am logged into my FB account at the site. Isn't that supposed to be enough to keep me logged in through the sidebar?

I am having the same exact issue. I never logged out of facebook, so I don't know why it is acting as if I did.
I've logged out and then back into facebook, turned the extension off and back on from the icon on the toolbar and from the about:config screen, but nothing has fixed the issue. I turned Messenger for Firefox on from the official page, and I noticed that each time I reload the page after clicking 'turn on', the 'turn on' button does not stay grayed-out as if it were turned on, it keeps letting me continuously click the 'turn on' button each time I reload the page. I used to have all four of the facebook notification icons on my toolbar, but after the first time I turned the extension off then back on, I now only have just the facebook icon (the 3 desktop notification icons no longer appear even though I have that option enabled).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sounds like an issue with that extension so a solution must be provided by Facebook, the same ones that provide the extension.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This is probably about the social feature sidebar (social.enabled = true).
http://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/ ... o-firefox/
http://blog.mozilla.org/labs/2012/03/ex ... n-firefox/

Do you get the Facebook login page if you click the login button?
I'm on Linux, so probably can't check this properly, but I am taken to the login page and am able to login to Facebook, but the sidebar still show the Login button.
A close and restart of Firefox shows a "Firefox is unable to connect with Facebook Messenger right now." in the sidebar (I don't think that there is a Facebook Messenger for Linux)
omegawolf7747

Post by omegawolf7747 »

So I'm not the only one experiencing this? Misery loves company.

In any case, how do we contact Facebook about this? They offer virtually no contactable tech support, only FAQs, knowledgebases and canned responses.
shabazosu

Post by shabazosu »

omegawolf7747 wrote:So I'm not the only one experiencing this? Misery loves company.

In any case, how do we contact Facebook about this? They offer virtually no contactable tech support, only FAQs, knowledgebases and canned responses.

I contacted facebook using their form on the Messenger for Firefox Help Center page. I got an automatic response saying that they cannot respond to every request so they might contact me if they decide to investigate my issue any further. So basically they're telling me not to hold my breath.. :shock:
rid911

Post by rid911 »

Same problem here. I really hope this gets fixed soon.
omegawolf7747

Post by omegawolf7747 »

Don't count on it. Facebook doesn't care about the end users.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

omegawolf7747 wrote:Don't count on it. Facebook doesn't care about the end users.

Is there no other way to use Facebook Messenger?

It is nice to have it for Firefox, but what did users do before it was implemented. :?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See bug 825264 - Unable to connect to Facebook Messenger right now

(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html please do not comment in bug reports)