yanike

Brine (Theme)

Post by yanike »

***UPDATE***
New Thread under themes:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2639927

Video Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYYf14c ... e=youtu.be

This theme is going in a whole other direction and it's going to look awesome! I'm going to take my time on this to make sure it's great!

Here's a very early preview of where I'm going with this 8-)

Still lots to draw and change! All icons are my original work. I'm going to be creating new custom buttons for Mail Inbox, Write Mail, New Tab, Address Book, and Composer for the toolbar. I'm even thinking about unifying the Back and Forward buttons.

This theme will be one-size compact theme and will give you more length on the toolbar even with all the buttons enabled.

------ OTHER SCREENSHOTS-------
(I'm using the Pinball Theme as a guide to making the new theme)

I'm also planning to bring back the mail button and create additional buttons as well for the toolbar.
Last edited by yanike on January 10th, 2013, 4:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
vazhavandan

Re: Pinball Remix (Theme)

Post by vazhavandan »

Cool. Will it look good in gnome shell too since you seem to be using linux ?
When Some themes with adwaita i notice that top bar is white while rest of browser looks good
yanike

Post by yanike »

I am using Ubuntu 12.04. It should look good in the gnome shell. The theme looks the same on Windows as it does Ubuntu, so I don't think there should a problem. When I release it, I will listen to feedback and update what I can.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

yanike wrote:I am using Ubuntu 12.04. It should look good in the gnome shell. The theme looks the same on Windows as it does Ubuntu, so I don't think there should a problem. When I release it, I will listen to feedback and update what I can.

I will have to wait and later upgrade to gnome 3.6 as it supports dark version of adwaita theme and try out the themes. The white topbar is horrible in the browser except for some themes like kilome :-(
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Any chance you could get the rights to the (soon to be discontinued) Mostly Crystal theme?

http://tom-cat.com/mozilla/seamonkey.html
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

She doesn't seem willing to allow it to be continued:
http://tom-cat.com/mozilla/updatenews/e ... 24-12.html
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Nor does Johannes want Pinball continued. viewtopic.php?p=3517515#p3517515 You would need to at least redo the images since they are copyrighted.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

if seamonkey is open source, how can it's plugins/addons/themes be closed source ?
It makes no sense . We need Stallman's help here :-)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Very easy. I could offer an extension under a different license. My code simply interacts with the code of the open source program. Where I work we provide a program that works on linux systems. Our code is closed.

In our Windows program we have a second party add-on that has a different license then we do. You can still use our program even if you don't accept their license. You just cannot use their program.

For what it may be worth the actual code of both products is likely open source since there are only so many ways to do things and the theming and extension folks are more then happy to help one another. Images are creative and give the theme its specialness. Unless the artist involved specifically releases the images under a share license the copyright remains with him or her.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

An excellent example is Mozilla and Firefox. While the Firefox code-base is almost 100% open, the trademark for Firefox and it's logo are closed subsidiaries of Mozilla Corp. Meaning that legally you cannot take the official Firefox logo and change it's colors or manipulate it in any way for your own purposes... while you CAN take the Firefox source-code and manipulate it for your own purposes. Similarly, a theme for Firefox or Seamonkey may have completely open code, but the IMAGES may be restricted by copyright. In such a case you would never be allowed to make a derivative theme without the express permission of the owner of the images.

These are not trivial affairs... the artist-programmers who build Themes put an excruciating amount of work into building graphics and making their theme work, and it simply would not be fair for someone else to claim credit for that work by stealing the images or coding.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
yanike

Post by yanike »

Theme's new name will be "Brine".
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Good for you yanike. I look forward to see what you come with (I also miss pinball) so be sure to post the link to the theme here.
Post wrangler
yanike

Re: Brine (Theme)

Post by yanike »

A lot more icons still need updating, but I'll get to them :)
yanike

Post by yanike »

New check boxes, radio buttons, and more being updated!

I'm going to try to change every icon 8-)
Last edited by yanike on January 5th, 2013, 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
yanike

Post by yanike »

Last edited by yanike on January 9th, 2013, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.