Exporting gmail contacts to Postbox

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
KennyBee51

Exporting gmail contacts to Postbox

Post by KennyBee51 »

I have downloaded and installed Postbox and it pulled in all my messages from gmail very nicely. I see no way, however, to import my gmail contacts. Can anyone help me with this?
DanRaisch

Re: Exporting gmail contacts to Postbox

Post by DanRaisch »

The import process requires that the data to be imported be present on the local drive. That means you must first export the contact data from Gmail to a CSV format file which will be saved to your local system.
KennyBee51

Post by KennyBee51 »

This would explain why I was unable to locate a .csv file to which to point Postbox when following the instruction on this page: http://support.postbox-inc.com/entries/ ... e-contacts
With a Google search, I found these instructions: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ ... swer=24911
But now, although I can locate the .csv file, and even transfer it around to Documents, the Desktop, etc, it is grayed out. So I cannot implement #9 on the first instruction page, "point Postbox at your .csv file."
Suggested solution for this?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if you can open that file using a spreadsheet program or a text editor.
KennyBee51

Post by KennyBee51 »

TextWrangler showed it as grayed out and would not open it. It opened in Excel, but was a blank table. It is still grayed out when I try to select it through the file picker in Postbox. Might this be related to the table being blank in Excel? I had exported it from gmail twice; both render the same result. I am at a loss.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

KennyBee51 wrote:TextWrangler showed it as grayed out and would not open it.

In the TextWrangler open window you may see "Enable: Everything" in the window when some files are grayed out. If you do it will open any file although you might see nothing but garbage. I use BBEdit from the same company which is TexWrangler on steroids [HTML editor, CSS editor, Perl editor and debugger, REGEX scripts, ...]; and, it has that "Enable: Everything" choice.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
KennyBee51

Post by KennyBee51 »

I do not find "Enable: Everything" in TextWrangler, not in the open window, in Preferences, or in Help. BBEdit is too expensive. Should I give up on Postbox and try another email client?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

KennyBee51 wrote:I do not find "Enable: Everything" in TextWrangler, not in the open window, in Preferences, or in Help. BBEdit is too expensive. Should I give up on Postbox and try another email client?

I have know idea. Seems like a question for the Postbox folks or their support forum if they have one.

Personally I use Thunderbird for all my mail accounts including Gmail. I have my contact list in TB and nothing in Gmail. I don't trust Google with any of my private information. That "do no evil" stuff of theirs is a load of c***.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6