An explanation about versions and builds for testing...

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
wsmwk

Re: An explanation about versions and builds for testing...

Post by wsmwk »

rsx11m, the relevant calendar information is at https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Calend ... r_Versions
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Thanks, I've updated the introductory post and removed a couple of dead links.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Since Thunderbird 10.0 will be the first "ESR" release for the enterprise community I've added a short paragraph to the main post with a link to the FAQ page. There is also a short addition to the Software Update KB page mentioning that new release channel.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Since the difference between ESR and regular releases now matters with 10.0.3 ESR vs. 11.0, I've added a respective link to the ESR download page so that it's easier to find.
Standard8

Post by Standard8 »

Official download page for ESR builds (whether or not you are an enterprise):
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbir ... l-esr.html

Please can you make this clearer. The ESR is not designed for individual users, there are trade-offs that organizations are prepared to accept, but users may not realise. Please can you consider point to the overview page instead: http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/organizations/ - it gives a better overview, and there's an easily accessible link to downloads at the bottom of the page.

Although its called Enterprise, it is more for Organizations as well.

Also, did you know about http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/channel/ - that's an easily accessible page that will give direct links to most users for Earlybird & Beta builds.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Hi Mark, I've removed the direct "all-*.html" links and refer to the respective starting pages. I've also added more information on the ESR builds, though I'd still think that they are also of interest for a certain type of user (mostly those who stuck with 3.1.x for now and are looking for a less volatile - in the sense of features and UX changes - replacement).
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I've updated the main post to reflect EOL of the 3.1.x branch and will remove the links for the nightly builds once those are gone from the server. That'll conclude the "Legacy branch" section, but I plan to leave it as a historical reference at least.
johnlgalt

Post by johnlgalt »

I noticed that recently, (I think with Daily 16.0a) there are now 64bit builds for Windows. However, Lightning 1.x is only 32bit compatible. Does anyone know if a 64bit compatible version of Lightning is being planned?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The win64 builds are still experimental as I understand it, and Firefox doesn't provide those for the release channel either. I'd assume that Thunderbird mirrors what Firefox does in this regard. As for 64-bit Lightning, that's more a question for the Calendar forum and has been an issue already for Linux and Mac OSX users since 64-bit builds were released for those platforms.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Standard8's comments about Thunderbird win64 builds...

viewtopic.php?p=11969063#p11969063
johnlgalt

Post by johnlgalt »

rsx11m wrote:The win64 builds are still experimental as I understand it, and Firefox doesn't provide those for the release channel either. I'd assume that Thunderbird mirrors what Firefox does in this regard. As for 64-bit Lightning, that's more a question for the Calendar forum and has been an issue already for Linux and Mac OSX users since 64-bit builds were released for those platforms.

Ah, yeah, I should have realized that lol. Since lightning win32 builds have also halted for Win & Mac, really not sure if there is even a point in pursuing it anymore.

Bozz wrote:Standard8's comments about Thunderbird win64 builds...

viewtopic.php?p=11969063#p11969063

Thanks for that - busy time period when that was posted and I ended up missing the whole discussion then.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I have removed the links to the 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 branches as there are no longer nightly builds available for the legacy versions and those folders were removed from the FTP site. Also, I've moved the legacy builds to the very bottom of the introductory post to maintain the historical context, but those are no longer relevant for any current development.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

If you look at comm-release you will notice that the next release version is 17.0.2 and not 18.0; this is due to a decision to follow the 17 ESR branch until 24.0 with the releases. The 17.0.3 release should come entirely from comm-esr17/mozilla-esr17 with the 19.0 cycle once testing of that configuration is finalized (bug 815302).

Note that SeaMonkey will stick with the comm-release/mozilla-release repositories. As a consequence, MailNews Core bugs are no longer equally affecting Thunderbird and SeaMonkey. The SM 2.15 (rv:18.0) release branch comes off the default branch after merging from comm-beta, whereas the TB 17.0.2 release branch was cut off the default branch before merging and thus mirrors the 17.0 ESR state (the same happened on mozilla-release). This should be a one-time hack until the repos are cleanly separated.
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

So does this mean the Beta, Earlybird and Daily builds are now going to be numbered as 17.0.x (until we hit 24) or still keeping the old numbering scheme for the developmental releases (which would get rather confusing)?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Keeping the old numbering scheme in line with Gecko releases.

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/tb-releases
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5