new tab page

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
neocool

new tab page

Post by neocool »

Hi all,
I'd very much like to get rid of my bookmarks toolbar, even though it's what I've been using for quick-access since ..well ..forever ;) ...Firefox and other browsers on different platforms offer the possibility of recents/favorites in a freshly opened tab. Is there any way to implement this type of behavior in SM? I sort of hope I've been missing something here, ...
therube

Re: new tab page

Post by therube »

Possible work-around.

Create you own "home page".
Put your bookmarks or whatever on it.

Set a New Tab to open 'Home page'.

Then every time you open a New Tab, your "home page" will load.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
neocool

Post by neocool »

doh ...why didn't I think of that! ..thanks :)
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

@neocool
The functionality is available but turned off by default in Seamonkey
go to about:config and set this property(browser.urlbar.default.behavior) to zero(0)
After setting this property you can immediately access all the bookmarked pages from location or address bar
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

I tried this but I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain a bit more please.

How do I access bookmarks via Address or Location bar?
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

After setting this
go to about:config and set this property(browser.urlbar.default.behavior) to zero(0)
just type any bookmark that you remember . Assuming that you have http://www.nytimes.com/ bookmarked .Just typing ny will throw up http://www.nytimes.com/ in the address bar
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Doesn't work for me. Do you have to type part of the url or can it be part of the readable name, like bartpe?

When I enter it all I get is Search Google for "bart"
Rich
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

i bookmarked bbc.com and and the below image shows the working.
First result is from bookmark(notice the title in the result) and the other result is from recent typing history
typing home also throws up the bbc result as it is matching the title of the bookmark here
You may also need to check below settings. The below screenshot shows how my screens are setup
Also i noticed that after migration to 2.15 my settings pages got messed up and i had to do profile migration on two machines.
No smooth ride from 2.14 to 2.15. Something related to underlying XUL/GECKO has changed :-(
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

You should be able to type part of the URL or part of the name. If you have set browser.urlbar.default.behavior to 0, anything you type in the location bar should produce a list of matches from your bookmarks or history. You'll find a complete list of values for browser.urlbar.default.behavior at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.urlbar.default.behavior.

It's also useful to know that you can specify what you want to match by using a symbol before the term you want to match. For example, if you wanted to restrict matches just from your bookmarks, you'd enter * bartpe. (There has to be a space after the asterisk.)
But then again, I may be wrong.
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

The Location bar setting was what I was missing. I did not have it checked. Works great now, many thanks.
Rich
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Ztruker wrote:The Location bar setting was what I was missing. I did not have it checked. Works great now, many thanks.

you are welcome. i guess i posted the image late. i probably should have guessed that your settings are the problem
Gonner

Post by Gonner »

Other browsers have their tabs above the address bar. It looks much better when it does not infringe on the web page layout.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Gonner wrote:Other browsers have their tabs above the address bar. It looks much better when it does not infringe on the web page layout.

I would like SeaMonkey to retain traditional layout otherwise it would just be a FX clone.
Gonner

Post by Gonner »

vazhavandan wrote:
Gonner wrote:Other browsers have their tabs above the address bar. It looks much better when it does not infringe on the web page layout.

I would like SeaMonkey to retain traditional layout otherwise it would just be a FX clone.

All right. My opinion is that the other browsers mimics for the Google Chrome browser.
It is in this case only SeaMonkey that looks completely different.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Gonner wrote:
vazhavandan wrote:

All right. My opinion is that the other browsers mimics for the Google Chrome browser.
It is in this case only SeaMonkey that looks completely different.

I agree. You can always reclaim more screen space SeaMonkey by:-
==>right clicking on toolbar==>customise==> and setting Show: list box to "Icons" and checking "Use small icons" option
==>collapse unwanted toolobars
==>view ==>show/ hide==>unselect toolbars which you don't like