Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
djnr

Post by djnr »

The problem with Columbus is that the original guy was a bit of a bastard; enslaving and and then exterminating the entire indigenous population of what is now the Dominican Republic/Haiti. Sure, he found the new new world, but only because he was looking for something else. In fact, he was such an asshole that his own whole colony mutinied his ass and sent him back to Europe, lucky to escape with his life. That's the part of the story we don't hear so often.

I'd be curious to see a poll by know; we've a had a *lot* of discussion, and less new stupid names are getting thrown into the mix. Some people hate Athena, others really don't like Scamp, but I think consensus about some kin of top 10 is a least growing.

I'm really curious to see how popular the major names actually are and would like to see a poll, or actually two: one for first choice and one for second choice. This would not be to determine the name but just to see what people like. I'd set it up myself but it would probably get deleted right away, so I thought it would be better to seeif others supported the idea

So I propose polling on the following names, and invite suggestions for what other names to include. And please only suggest ones that are generally accepted and don't waste time with @#$!*zilla.

These are the names that I think are popular enough to be considered for the poll (and I would oppose several of them strongly myself, I'm trying not to favour my favourites)

Scamp
Fox / Phox
Arias
Echo
Athena
Firebird
Swoop

Any others? Would you also like to see this kind of a poll?
Insurgent

Post by Insurgent »

The perfect replacement name would have to be fiero which means "fierce" in Italian so there shouldn't be a trademark issue.
Too bad they wouldn't be able to use the original Pontiac logo (see avatar) as well as it'd go well with the "Phoenix" style.

Plus a side benefit is they'd instantly convert all the Fiero car owners out on the web to the browser as well! (and that's quite a few people)

Anyway, just so long as it's not *zilla I'll be ok ;)
pi°

Post by pi° »

what about COYOTE?
xfranky

Spitfire

Post by xfranky »

aspenpete wrote:Spitfire, now thats a keen name

Yeah! That's the name of an old English plane (produced in 1941 for the WW2). I got a picture of it I can't scan now, but I like both (the plane & the name...).
I'll upload the picture somwhere asap.
Btw I don't remember any "Supermarine" aircraft factory nowadays... I'll check.
..::XF::..
flii

Post by flii »

djnrempel wrote:I'd be curious to see a poll by know; we've a had a *lot* of discussion, and less new stupid names are getting thrown into the mix. Some people hate Athena, others really don't like Scamp, but I think consensus about some kin of top 10 is a least growing.

there are no polls because http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... c&start=17

however, i think you picked the right names. those names are the ones i see a lot of support for as well. :) i don't know how they're going to decide which name to choose, but i would be happy with any of those except athena. i think, however, that echo was decided as not availabe, but i can't remember clearly what the poster said or what thread it was in, so forgive me if i'm recalling wrong.
krashtd

Phoeinix names

Post by krashtd »

since Phoenix is an adaptation/evolution of Mozilla, where Mozilla is considered the developer/pilot project for people to build off of (and as a showcase for the Gecko engine and various other technologies of the Moz project), I agree that adaptations of the Mozilla naming scheme would not be in the best interest of the Phoenix project. While many will argue that Mozilla is not just for developers, and is much more than a proof-of-concept, it DOES have certain slight (sometimes major) limitations in functionality, interface, ease of use, and customizability. You can have all the preference menus and items that you can think of, but if they don't make sense then they aren't helpful, and customizing becomes painful. I've been using Moz for the past couple of years as my main browser, but have been using Phoenix almost exclusively since version 0.3 came out. It is much easier to use (even given the fact that it lacks completed Preference menus and needs some polishing and bug-squishing), and the planned developments for the project make for a VERY promising browser. Can't wait to see a solid release build (not a final release, as I expect Phoenix to be an on-going development beyond 1.0, 2.0, etc.). But I digress...this is all tied in to the naming scheme that should be used. Phoenix is intended as a mainstream browser/platform, so it should have a name independent of the Mozilla developer-intended browser. So, Mozilla-derived names aren't well-suited for Phoenix.

MozLite, Little Moz, Mini Moz, Moznix, as much as I like these names, I can't support them as new names for Phoenix.

It needs something simple, concise, clean, informative, descriptive, but still catchy.

And I have no idea what that would be any more than the rest of you, though we all have suggestions that deserve merit (I have read many posts containing very kewl names, and I think they would be great names for the right project)

The only thing I can think of for a name is MainStream or MainStreem. But that's what I get for dropping out of college 6 months short of a degree. =)
Killed who?
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

I was looking to spitfire-related links and I found this:
http://spitfire.ausys.se/johan/names/default.htm
It's a random name generator... maybe we need something like this...

Btw what I found about software&internet on "spitfire" is:
- a PalmOS to AmigaOS sync-software
- two ISPs (spitfire.com, spitfire.co.uk), but both seem outdated...
- a software company building financial management software (old site, again...)

Could this be a good choice?
krashtd

Phoenix names

Post by krashtd »

found on Webshots

http://community.webshots.com/photo/165 ... MWwSdnguOc

"The Garuda is a golden-bodied bird recorded by the Buddhist culture. Garuda has an eagle's beak and wings, and a human body. His face is white, his wings are scarlet, and his body is golden. Garuda is possibly the oldest of the great birds. It is so large that it can blot out the sun, darkening the sky. The beneficent Garuda, also called the "Bird of Life", is the mount of Vishnu."

or what about Sunbird... ? similar to Firebird and Phoenix

http://community.webshots.com/photo/165 ... JGquidojCq
Killed who?
krashtd

Sunbird

Post by krashtd »

According to the patent and trademark site, Sunbird is not trademarked for anything computer related. The only prominent use of Sunbird trademarks would be General Motors (Pontiac Sunbird, replaced by the Sunfire). Should be fairly simple to distinguish between a 10-yr old car and a hip, new browser.

http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

any takers?
Killed who?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Whenever I see the word "Scamp" Italian food comes to my mind... Strange :wink:
flii

Post by flii »

laszlo wrote:Whenever I see the word "Scamp" Italian food comes to my mind... Strange :wink:

<i>italian food</i>? lol! i would really like to hear that story, if you have one. pm me. :) until then, scamp will be one of my fav choices. ;)
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

laszlo wrote:Whenever I see the word "Scamp" Italian food comes to my mind... Strange :wink:

It makes me think me think of scampi. Or dogs. Scamp is a dog's name.
Alex
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Flii wrote:

<i>italian food</i>? lol! i would really like to hear that story, if you have one. pm me. :) until then, scamp will be one of my fav choices. ;)

There's no funny story behind this... it's just that "Scampi" is the Italian word for a (rather delicious) special kind of shrimps, as Alex already said. :)
djnr

Post by djnr »

I think Scamp sounds goofy. Flii, I think you and I must be arch-nemeses - I like Athena, you hate it, I hate Scamp, you like it.

I propose a duel! Just don't know how you count 10 paces in cyberspace, and what you do once you've gone ten paces...

Scamp, scamper, scurry, tramp, skank, champ... it just brings to many other words/images to mind and I have a hard time imagining that in my title bar, whereas Athena continues in a tradition of classical names like pegasus and copernic.

And I don't think Athena will remind people of those unfortunate network Hero-dramas... Athena brings to mind togas and laurel wreaths and the parthenon, not people running around with leather miniskirts and razorfrisbees knocking out bad guys (ie. Xena).

That said, Firebird is probably the best name...
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Well, technically speaking, "scampo" is a lower-quality (still high, imho) local lobster...