NEW Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Grantius

Re: NEW Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by Grantius »

JoeG wrote:
Elbart wrote:Nobody could have seen this coming.
I wasn't implying a conspiracy, but neglect is also an effective tactic.

Better to do half arsed build's to keep Tom's hardware happy "Ohhh 64bit > 32bit" then to waste time on bringing something they want to discontinue up to speed
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

TheVisitor wrote:
speciesx wrote:
Go to C:\Program Files\Nightly\defaults\pref open channel-prefs.js with a text editor and change pref("app.update.channel", "default"); to pref("app.update.channel", "nightly"); and now you are again on the nightly channel.

That 'trick' no longer works. The only way to get back on Nightly update channel is to manually download and install a Nightly.

This trick still works for me.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

speciesx wrote:This trick still works for me.
It appears to work for me, too, at least in the interface.
Is there any way to tell if this window is "telling the truth"?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

This "trick" definitely works!
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

speciesx wrote:This "trick" definitely works!
OK, thanks.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
James

Post by James »

Briscoe wrote:It seems to me that Mozilla could care less about the 64 Bit Browser.

Win64 you mean as they still care about the 64-bit builds for Linux and Max OSX (combined 32/64 download). Though they still do not make the 64-bit Linux Releases very visible ever since Firefox 4.0.

JoeG wrote:I'm not sure what the "default" update channel is, though.

default: This channel is used when there is no channel information, for example if you build Firefox or Thunderbird yourself. There are no updates on this channel. This channel is frequently used by Linux distributions, given that they provide their own updates through their respective package-management system. The Tinderbox hourly nightlies use this also.
chaoky

Post by chaoky »

Well, for Linux Mozilla doesn't really even have to provide a 64bit as the distributors usually build Firefox from the sources themselves and provide a 64-bit package. Also, its "couldn't" care less.
Surely Chrome will drop H.264, lets just wait...
joeg

Post by joeg »

Just a question: How do the Tinderbox builds compare with the "system" daily updates in terms of security, quality control, etc.?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Like Forrest Gump said: "My momma always said, "Life Tinderbox was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
joeg

Post by joeg »

JayhawksRock wrote:Like Forrest Gump said: "My momma always said, "Life Tinderbox was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
Oh! Does this mean it might not include the latest security changes?
Sylph

Post by Sylph »

Grantius wrote:
JoeG wrote:
Elbart wrote:Nobody could have seen this coming.
I wasn't implying a conspiracy, but neglect is also an effective tactic.

Better to do half arsed build's to keep Tom's hardware happy "Ohhh 64bit > 32bit" then to waste time on bringing something they want to discontinue up to speed

Or, directly...? A translation?
LuzTeTT

Post by LuzTeTT »

Briscoe wrote:It seems to me that Mozilla could care less about the 64 Bit Browser.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/12/22/m ... after-all/

A lot of common sense applied in this article.
There is hope yet!
James

Post by James »

From the same site that misunderstood and thought Mozilla was axing Win64 builds versus putting Win64 nightlies on hiatus for time being earlier.
LuzTeTT

Post by LuzTeTT »

James wrote:from the same site that misunderstood and thought Mozilla was axing Win64 builds versus putting Win64 nightlies on hiatus for time being earlier.

So you're think they're trying to save face?
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Sylph wrote:
Grantius wrote:

Or, directly...? A translation?

This argument has been well and truly played out, but I think the large amount of people on 64bit builds are because they think it's somehow better, because 64bit sounds better then "Old" 32bit.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro