"Applying update" taking a very long time...

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
kryptonite

"Applying update" taking a very long time...

Post by kryptonite »

Is this a bug? When I click to check for updates, it finds the update, downloads the update, then sits and spins on "applying update" for quite a while. I found some info about it, but it was in a locked thread from last May.

For quite some time, "applying update" would take just a few seconds...now, it's much more than that.
TheVisitor

Re: "Applying update" taking a very long time...

Post by TheVisitor »

Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials AntiVirus/AntiMalware ? Updates seems to hang while its scanned. I filed a bug months ago, but nothing has been done other than point fingers at MSE.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

TheVisitor wrote:Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials AntiVirus/AntiMalware ? Updates seems to hang while its scanned. I filed a bug months ago, but nothing has been done other than point fingers at MSE.

I believe I am. I just got the current nightly on my desktop and it seemed to download and install a lot faster. I know I have a windows update on the "computer in question" almost every day and the other computer (one I'm on now) doesn't have these daily updates from MS.
mdleers

Post by mdleers »

If you're running MSE, you will get daily updates for it.
Normally, they're installed automatically but you will see the updates in "Windows Updates."

If one has not been already installed, if you check for updates, you'll also see such ... sometimes even after the update for MSE has already been applied by MSE.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

I run Nightly on Windows and Ubuntu, and both operating systems sometimes have long update times. (I think more on one than the other, but I'm not going to name names as I don't have a reliable data set,)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Nightly has been on a new update system for a few months now, intended to speed up the overall update process - eventually. To my eye this new process seems slower now than it was a few weeks ago, which is somewhat expected when developing something new. At this point it is taking Nightly almost twice as long as the Aurora update takes, from the time I click the Check for Updates button until the Restart to Update button. I don't use MSE.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
nicolaos

Post by nicolaos »

Yes, I can confirm, MSE causes a delay in the process, lately. The faster your PC, the faster you're done. One option is to exclude the Mozilla Firefox folder or just turn MSE off for a while to see the results.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

I don't use MSE and I too have noticed how long it now takes to update. It used to be very fast and now it takes maybe 15-20 seconds to restart after it closes. I'm on XP Pro SP3.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

ltsnow,

Any chance you are using Avira Free Antivirus as I am?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

the-edmeister wrote:ltsnow,

Any chance you are using Avira Free Antivirus as I am?

No ed, I don't use any active AV or antimalware programs. IOW, I have nothing running but Windows processes.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I have noticed this too, Core i5 with Vertex 3 SSD. Should be fast buy is quite slow. Never though of checking if MSE was some how related.

Post by nicolaos »

Hubird wrote:I have noticed this too, Core i5 with Vertex 3 SSD. Should be fast buy is quite slow. Never though of checking if MSE was some how related.

Do you think the SSD might have something to do? I'm on SSD, too. Currently I don't use any AV or anything that is scanning my PC and thus, I can't check it out.

Some time ago, I also had Nightly on my secondary HDD, and when I started mentioning serious HDD churning, I've been told there are open some cache and fragmentation-related bugs. I disabled disk cache and enabled memory cache. I've seen in comments section of those bugs that Fx should be avoiding fragmented cache normally, but it doesn't do it. Maybe something like this is happening during the update process...

Maybe they are related somehow.. Just wild guesses, though :S
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

I think several issues may be conflated here. The MSE thing is a particular file (maintenanceservice.exe, I think) that takes a long time to unpack. To see it, download a zip build and unzip it. On this machine, 25 out of the 30 seconds the unzipping takes is spent on that one file.

If you're not using MSE, and assuming other virus scanners don't cause the same delay, then I'm guessing there are probably several other candidate reasons for update/restart slowness, but I do have MSE and don't use install builds, so I'm pretty useless in that area.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Seems very slow to me, too. Like Ed, I use Avira Free.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

Has anyone tried to narrow down the regression range?