5.7.1 Unable to relay for <recipient's e-mail address>

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
whybee

5.7.1 Unable to relay for <recipient's e-mail address>

Post by whybee »

Hi,

I've just installed Mozilla Thunderbird and imported my mail and address book from Outlook. I receive messages, but when I reply, I get the following error message:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for <recipient's e-mail address>. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

Where can I find the "email address in my Mail preferences"?

I've checked my Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings (Tools > Account Settings) and everything seems okay there.

Any ideas?
rAskO

Post by rAskO »

I've got exactly the same problem. Are you using tools that can specify multiple smtp servers ? It seems that this problem started to occur when I've installed that kind of tools...

rAskO

ps sorry for my english, I'm french...
whybee

Post by whybee »

No rasko,

I'm not using multiple smtp servers (and no tools either).

Post by Guest »

Are you sure of the smtp adress of your server? I've change mine (there are various servers provided by my isp) and it seems to work since...

rAskO
quickreply

Post by quickreply »

Hi whybee,

the last sentence in the error message ("Please verify that your email address is correct...") does in my opinion NOT come from the SMTP server, but is generated by Thunderbird (in this case just misleading). The first part ist the SMTP's answer, and I always get that when I forget to "authenticate". That is, the SMTP-server can not relay your mail unless you provide a user name and a password.

Re: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for <recipient's e-mail address>

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Hi whybee,

the last sentence in the error message ("Please verify that your email address is correct...") does in my opinion NOT come from the SMTP server, but is generated by Thunderbird (in this case just misleading). The first part ist the SMTP's answer, and I always get that when I forget to "authenticate". That is, the SMTP-server can not relay your mail unless you provide a user name and a password.
IN Thunderbird
Tool------>Account Settiing->Outgoing Server----------->Edit (Current Server setting)
Under the "Security and Authentication "
Select "User name And Password" Put Use name
LIMPET235

Re: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for <recipient's e-mail address>

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks guest...
But please check the date before posting. (Feb 2005?)
Locking this relic.

Happy New Year.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)