[ext] ScrapBook+ 1.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
sidebar

Re: [ext] ScrapBook+ 1.x

Post by sidebar »

oldschooltwentysix wrote:How again does one disable the "edit Bar" at the bottom? Thanks!

Rightclick the ScrapBook icon and tick either "Edit Toolbar" or "Edit Before Capture". It must be the proper icon, the one that shows when you tick "Icon" in the ScrapBook Plus Options, under "Main". It doesn't work with the icon that you can drag from FF's "Customize..." window.
simusop

Post by simusop »

Thank you very much for creating and maintaining ScrapBook+! It's the reason I'm still using Firefox.

I'd like to report a show-stopping problem ScrapBook+ 1.9.23.39 has on Firefox 18. For every page saved, there are only three index.* file. No image. No favicon. I hope it is just a small problem that can be fixed easily and soon. Until then, ScrapBooks+ is pretty much useless on Firefox 18 now.
Lutz Klein

Post by Lutz Klein »

I'd like to post a feature request / idea.

When i store a page, most of the time I want to get rid of all the navigation, page header, footer, advertising and so on, and just save the actual content.
In most cases the content resides in a <div>, which is way easier to select than all the nested stuff around it, and i wish I had a 'kill all but this one' button.
This would require to also strip all CSS attributes determining position, float and size.

How about it?
babybird

Post by babybird »

I'd like to report an annoying (if rarely encountered) bug.

I'm using Scrapbook+ 1.9.23.40 with Firefox 18.0.1 in Windows. I just went to my Scrapbook to search for a page I'd saved, and it rebuilt the index as normal. When it finished rebuilding the index is where the bug appeared. It stole the tab that I was writing a lengthy post in to show its search results instead of checking to see whether it was a blank tab, or opening a new tab to display the results in, which caused me to lose my entire post (the tab history was also deleted, so I couldn't even navigate back to the page). That was extremely annoying to me, but these things happen so I'm letting it go.

However, I'd like to request that this behavior be changed in future versions to always open a new tab (or at least check to verify that the current tab is empty) to display search results in so that no one has to encounter this unfortunate scenario in the future.

Thank you for your consideration, and for an otherwise excellent extension!

--
Keith D.
babybird

Post by babybird »

I feel like a dufus. Regarding my previous bug report, I think I may have been mistaken. It may have actually used an open but empty tab or opened a new tab-- the tab that I had my long post half-written in is still here and I'm not sure anymore of exactly what took place.

If I am mistaken about what I thought I saw, then I apologize for the report. I'll try to replicate it in the next couple of days and report back whether I did actually see this happen or not. Until then, mark this one as only a possible bug, not a confirmed bug. Sorry!
jonrichco

How to copy SB folders to new computer?

Post by jonrichco »

Hi Haslenuss - excellent add-on

I need to copy saved scrapbook plus pages to a second computer. If I just copy the folders into the Scrapbook folder on the second computer, SB+ does not see them. Can you please advise how I can achieve this. I have tried Import/Export but can't get it to work. Maybe it's already in the forum but I can't find it - if so, please advise.
Tks Jon
Firefox 18.0.1 on Windows 7/64.
simusop

Post by simusop »

Hi jonrichco,

No official response here, but I did it by setting the same folder for import/export in Firefox on both computers. Then you can export a page on one computer, and import on the other. I think you need to keep only one Firefox running across both computers as well while doing it, otherwise index file or something may get corrupted.
jonrichco

Post by jonrichco »

Thanks simusop. I am seeking to copy 20-30 folders every week - ie, all the content of a magazine I download. The best way I have found (so far) is to export the pages to a flash drive and import them from there. That is ok, but you have to have access to the second computer. It would be better to be able to email a zip file of the pages and import the pages from that but it does not seem to be possible.
a009

Post by a009 »

fuxx wrote:does not save images when used from FF 64 bit :-(

I'm having the same problem, but also with 32bit computers.
haselnuss

Post by haselnuss »

@all having problems with ScrapBook Plus and Firefox 18:
ScrapBook Plus is not compatible with Firefox 18 at the moment. If you want to use ScrapBook Plus, use Firefox 17 ESR. ScrapBook by Gomita might be the solution for those, who want to use the newest version of Firefox (18 and newer).

Sorry for this, but I do not have the time to switch between the development of ScrapBook Plus 2 and 1 all the time.
a009

Post by a009 »

haselnuss wrote:@all having problems with ScrapBook Plus and Firefox 18:
ScrapBook Plus is not compatible with Firefox 18 at the moment. If you want to use ScrapBook Plus, use Firefox 17 ESR. ScrapBook by Gomita might be the solution for those, who want to use the newest version of Firefox (18 and newer).

Sorry for this, but I do not have the time to switch between the development of ScrapBook Plus 2 and 1 all the time.

Thank you very much for the infos, and for developing this add-on.
ramr

Post by ramr »

First of all, I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but here goes.

Scrapbook/Scrapbook Plus are fantastic, but it really looks like I'm going to need to find another way to save, organize, annotate, and SEARCH web content in a format that will sync with my Android. (There's plenty of storage and processing power on most Android phones nowadays, so it's pretty pointless to spend any more time maintaining my Scrapbook structure and organization if I can't access it on my phone.) I do know about Evernote, Wiznote, and other apps that are alternatives, but they don't let me capture multiple browser pages at once the way Scrapbook Plus does (this is HUGE, actually) and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get my Scrapbook data into any of those apps/services.

Therefore, I have several questions:

(Note that for questions #1 and #2, the syncing of the Scrapbook folder is not a problem. FolderSync on Android handles this nicely with all the major cloud storage services. It syncs the entire Scrapbook folder to my phone where it is accessible offline.)

1) Are there any plans to bring Scrapbook Plus to the Android FF browser as an addon?

2) Is there any way to massage/convert my Scrapbook Plus data so it's viewable on Android? I've already tried using Scrapbook to export it as HTML (with frames and without) and in Android I can open the exported index.html or frame.html in Android Firefox or HTML Viewer and then laboriously navigate through the folders to find the page I need, BUT--unlike Scrapbook on my desktop computer--I can't search within the content to find what I need quickly, which is vital. I've racked my brains, but I can't find any Android apps that can do anything of the sort. Am I missing something?

Now, since I suspect the answers to #1 and #2 are "no," I'll move on:

3) Does anybody know of any decent ways to migrate my existing Scrapbook library into some app/service that will let me edit, annotate, folder-or-tag organize, full-text-search and sync it between desktop and Android? (And I mean properly sync, with local, offline-available copies of the data available on all devices). I'd like to do it at least semi-automatically and not have to manually recreate my entire Scrapbook folder structure, since my Scrapbook library is big and has a lot of folders. Unfortunately, the way Scrapbook saves its info does not seem to lend itself to portability.

Even considering two "easier" solutions where I'd have to suck it up and recreate the folder structure by hand, I've still been unable to have much success:

a) I've already tested the "Print Pages to PDF" addon, which can mass-save all my Scrapbook info into discrete PDF files and then put those PDF files into Dropbox and share them between desktop and Android, but there's no combination of software that can handle ongoing editing and highlighting/annotation of the shared PDFs between platforms without being more trouble than its worth...not surprising, since the PDF format wasn't really designed with editability in mind.

b) Converting to HTML is the only other option I can think of (at least THAT can be imported into one of the apps I'm considering), but I don't know of a way to take all the many files and subfolders in the main Scrapbook folder and automagically convert them to discreet .html files...one for each saved Scrapbook page, similar to what I attempted with the PDFs above. Loading the source URL (i.e. the "live" page) for every Scrapbook saved page manually and then resaving each one as a discreet .html document is just not an option with 1000+ pages.

So, if anyone's out there who can help me, whether it's the awesome develope or anyone else, it would be much appreciated. I'm open to ideas that would require either the Linux or Windows platform...at this point I'm pretty desperate.
stepan9088

Post by stepan9088 »

Hello
I am from Russia and I often use your application.I ask you to add the ability to choose when saving pages any time between loading url not like now 1.2.3 seconds and 1-10 seconds (arbitrary mode with adjustable range of interval and time of interval)and a big request - when loading pages from authorized sites, there is often repeated request for authorization and serevere gives in response to a command LOgin while scrapbook continues upload all of these requests in the form of empty pages.When you automate the process - it is very inconvenient, especially if you have already downloaded a lot of pages. Is it possible to add to the scrapbook variant of pauses when it detects certain answers, so you never have to load each time the same thing again? And I have got a question about the choice of the catalog.Why it is impossible to change the name of the directory into which to load page? The names of folders always have a numeric name for example 20130129021851).But how to make that saving pages began in a folder named for example my_folders or any other name? It turns out that the renaming is only possible after the export of stored pages. it is not always convenient.
Thanks for scapbook
Stepan.
kit kat

Post by kit kat »

Hello,
I've been using "sbBrowserOverlay.execCapture(2, false, true , 'event.originalTarget.id');" and sbBrowserOverlay.execCapture(2, false, true , [FOLDER ID]); to save into Scrapbook trough shortcuts or buttons,
however, is there a way to save to a folder that is NOT in the currently selected Multi-Scrapbook?

Or a function that allows to switch to an specific Scrapbook?

Thank you for making this addon, is absolutely indispensable for me.
/has too many questions.
ramr

Post by ramr »

Really? It's only been two weeks since I posted my question, but I'm honestly surprised at the lack of response or ideas here and elsewhere online about getting Scrapbook data usable on an Android...one way or another.

I don't really expect the developer to necessarily have time to reply, and I have no idea if there's even a solution, but I'm honestly a little surprised at the apparent dearth of people specifically asking (specifically) about Scrapbook + Android and (in general) questions about Scrapbook + [Portability].

Hmmm....Oh, well.

This is not a dig at the developers of Scrapbook Plus or Scrapbook. It's still a great addon and it's free. Gift horses and all that.