Thunderbird Roadmap (0.1)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
mscott

Thunderbird Roadmap (0.1)

Post by mscott »

Thunderbird is long over due for a first milestone release. In my mind we are far beyond a 0.1 release when compared to the functionality of a version 1.5, mozilla seamonkey mail client. I really don't view thunderbird as a 0.1 alpha material.

With that in mind, I wanted to let you know about my short term plans for Thunderbird.

I hope to turn this week's Thunderbird build into our first 0.1 release.

The process will work like this:

1) I'll spin up the weekly windows build (Don and Andre will do the same for linux and Mac). We'll release it just like we do every week here in the forum with mini release notes. We'll view this as our 0.1 candidate build.

2) I'll try to get as much feedback on the build as possible through the forum. If we uncover issues such as nasty mozilla trunk instability or regressions, then we'lll re-spin these bits with just those changes.

3) After a day or two of testing, we'll re-release the build (with any fixes) as Mozilla Thunderbird 0.1.

I hope to have regular milestone upgrades on a frequent basis after we get over this hurdle.

Expectations for 0.1
-----------------------
There isn't going to be any radical changes between last week's build and this weeks 0.1 candidate build. Being at 0.1 does not mean every feature request and enchancement the community suggests is going to be ready or implemented =). But we've made some great progress since this project began and it's time to make Thunderbird more visible. Many folks won't try new products unless it has a "milestone" stamp on it and we need to get some exposure to help make the product better.

Thanks!
-Scott
Thunderbirds are Go!
RAF

Post by RAF »

Good plan! I'll test it extensively.
artifex

Post by artifex »

All set - Thunderbirds are GO!

We'll try to give as much useful feedback as possible. Doing a great job, mscott, and it is appreciated over here. I hope you get some support yourself one of these days.
Mozilla Firebird 2003-08-05
Outlook Express 6 (with Quotefix)
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

Got yer back. Will install ASAP. Good luck.
aldo

Post by aldo »

Thanks - I'll also be testing it out. It seems like exciting times for *birds, with a new addition (sunbird) and 0.6.1 firebird and 0.1 thunderbird release :)
mscott

Post by mscott »

Thanks for all the support folks! I just pushed this week's build up:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 124#125124

This will be the basis of 0.1 modulo regression fixes I take based on feedback from everyone.
Thunderbirds are Go!
malcolmx

Post by malcolmx »

sounds great, i will install it immediatly after release.

but on your first words, where you compare the functionality to mozilla mail client. i dont think that it is a MUST to implement all there features.
i think, a good and usable email client is more worth, than a big,fat and slow client with lots of bugs. not to forget many unuseful features :)

bye buys

-andy
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

What about more theme changes? In terms of icons?
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

malcolmx wrote:a good and usable email client is more worth, than a big,fat and slow client with lots of bugs. not to forget many unuseful features :)

I agree, but I think mscott was alluding to that when he said not every feature will be implemented in 0.1. I agree that a feature-scarce but relatively bugless product will encourage more people to switch than a buggy, feature-rich one.
alexbender

Post by alexbender »

tseelee wrote:I agree, but I think mscott was alluding to that when he said not every feature will be implemented in 0.1. I agree that a feature-scarce but relatively bugless product will encourage more people to switch than a buggy, feature-rich one.

...you mean... like Microsoft products?
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20040410 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6+ (20040512-pigfoot)
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

alexbender wrote:you mean...like Microsoft products?

Well, Microsoft can do anything they want, especially with this new judge and new administration. I can't believe how stupid Judge Jackson was (in invalidating his own ruling).
Last edited by tseelee on July 25th, 2003, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

I'd like to make a web installer for 0.1, to make it easier to install Thunderbird

I have the firebird installer (converted to work with Thunderbird) ready and just waiting for a chance to glow :D
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

Tom Sommer wrote:I have the firebird installer (converted to work with Thunderbird) ready and just waiting for a chance to glow :D

Email seb? I'm sure he'll host it, and people'll surely appreciate an installer.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Yeah, but

- We need a latest-trunk folder for the nighty-web-installer

- We have to wait for the 0.1 release to come up, then we'll know where the installer is suppose to download the release :)
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

Tom Sommer wrote:Yeah, but

- We need a latest-trunk folder for the nighty-web-installer

True, didn't notice that.

Tom Sommer wrote:We have to wait for the 0.1 release to come up, then we'll know where the installer is suppose to download the release :)

Well, perhaps we can have the 1.0 installer come with the build itself, like how 5/25 and some other FB nightlies do, cuz that build'll not be changed. The standalone installer should be a latest-trunk installer.