Firefox Nightly

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
LoudNoise

Firefox Nightly

Post by LoudNoise »

I am currently in a debate with a yahoo. Is there any reason to believe that the NIghtly is reasonably secure? I am assuming that there isn't since the point of it is to add new stuff and such things will be cleaned up in Aurora and the beta.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mdleers

Re: Firefox Nightly

Post by mdleers »

LoudNoise wrote:Is there any reason to believe that the NIghtly is reasonably secure?

No, there is not.
Testers need to have other security measures in place lest they get bit (potentially speaking, of course).
I think "Minefield" was probably the best description when it was described as such.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

That was brave of you mikedl
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

LoudNoise wrote:I am currently in a debate with a yahoo. Is there any reason to believe that the NIghtly is reasonably secure? I am assuming that there isn't since the point of it is to add new stuff and such things will be cleaned up in Aurora and the beta.

2 edged sword, on one side we are the first to get new features and security updates, but on the other hand we are also the first to get new exploitable changes in code.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Unless virus writers are combing the source as its being changed, I don't think anyone running Nightly is any less safe than those running a final build.
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

Omega X wrote:Unless virus writers are combing the source as its being changed, I don't think anyone running Nightly is any less safe than those running a final build.

Basically this. Many features developed on other branches are usually fuzzed before landing in m-c. Even if a potential security issue is discovered from a patch that has ridden down the trains a fix for it lands in all branches carrying that patch simultaneously.

I don't see how the Nightlies can be less secure either.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.