Bookmarks folders closing when trying to drag bookmark

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
psaulm119

Bookmarks folders closing when trying to drag bookmark

Post by psaulm119 »

Not sure how to describe this, but I find that often when I'm trying to drag a bookmark from the URL or my bookmarks bar, into another nested folder in that bookmarks bar, I have trouble keeping the folder that I want to drag it into, open. The folders always open up, but when I try to move the cursor (and the bookmark) to the correct nested folder, sometimes the entire folder closes, other times, the intended nested folder will open, and then close before I can release the bookmark.

Is there a setting for leaving bookmark folders open longer? No jokes about Parkinson's please, this is an annoyance I'd like to get rid of if I can.
Paul
JayhawksRock

Re: Bookmarks folders closing when trying to drag bookmark

Post by JayhawksRock »

Use the Library to organize Bookmarks... Ctrl+Shift+B It will stay open forever.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

psaulm119 wrote:Not sure how to describe this, but I find that often when I'm trying to drag a bookmark from the URL or my bookmarks bar, into another nested folder in that bookmarks bar, I have trouble keeping the folder that I want to drag it into, open. The folders always open up, but when I try to move the cursor (and the bookmark) to the correct nested folder, sometimes the entire folder closes, other times, the intended nested folder will open, and then close before I can release the bookmark.

Is there a setting for leaving bookmark folders open longer?

That issue has been around for a while which is why I generally use the Bookmarks sidebar. I find that you have to move the cursor quickly to keep a folder open; the downside is that I often move it too far and it closes anyway. I'm not aware of a setting but have not looked at the source code.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

RobertJ wrote:That issue has been around for a while which is why I generally use the Bookmarks sidebar. I find that you have to move the cursor quickly to keep a folder open; the downside is that I often move it too far and it closes anyway. I'm not aware of a setting but have not looked at the source code.

OK, that good old bookmarks star is back on my toolbar. I haven't used it since I found how convenient a bookmarks toolbar is. But that's ok--clicking on that star opens up the bookmarks sidebar, which, as you've suggested, stays open as long as I want it to.

Sometimes doing something slowly, once, is better than doing it quickly and goofing it up.

Thanks to you both for the replies.
Paul
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I found that cut and paste works fine.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Anonymosity wrote:I found that cut and paste works fine.

Never thought of pasting URLs into a folder to create a bookmark. You're right, it works, although I'm not sure its quicker than the sidebar. Interesting, though.
Paul
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »