[FX] PowerBook: 1.0.1 release [OS X] (G4 optimized)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
krmathis

[FX] PowerBook: 1.0.1 release [OS X] (G4 optimized)

Post by krmathis »

Here you find Firefox 1.0.1 with optimization for the Apple G4 processors (PowerPC 7400 & 7450).
PowerPC overview

.mozconfig (xxxx equals 7450 or 7400)

Code: Select all

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser

ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-static
ac_add_options --enable-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-prebinding
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -faltivec -mcpu=xxxx -mtune=xxxx -mpowerpc -mpowerpc-gfxopt"

ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-shared

ac_add_options --with-macos-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk

ac_add_options --without-system-png
ac_add_options --without-system-mng
ac_add_options --without-system-nspr
ac_add_options --without-system-zlib
ac_add_options --without-system-jpeg

Downloads:
FX-ppc7450-1.0.1.dmg (newer G4)
FX-ppc7400-1.0.1.dmg (older G4)

Icons & graphics by MacGeneral.
Last edited by krmathis on February 26th, 2005, 5:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

Well... Your ?mozconfig is kinda strange ;)

static doesn't need stripped libs, so why asking for stripping with a static build ?
MozJF
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I had not edited my .mozconfig since november last year, when I was a novice at building Mozilla applications. Actually I did not even know that "ac_add_options --enable-strip-libs" is embedded in "ac_add_options --enable-strip" until you told me 3 days ago!

.mozconfig edited. Changes takes place in my next build.
blugel

Post by blugel »

not to be a party-pooper, but anyone else having trouble with the older-g4 optimizied build? like not loading an initial page and no pull-down tab to select where to save downloads? just curious, i'd hate to waste the hours to build my own only to find the same troubles. thanks!
neilio

Post by neilio »

powerbook, what CVS commands did you use to check out this code? I'm assuming this isn't the same as the aviary instructions from before (and in your build.rtf file) - I built from that and got a 1.0 release version instead of the 1.0.1 version.

Thanks!
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
geekiegirl

Post by geekiegirl »

blugel wrote:not to be a party-pooper, but anyone else having trouble with the older-g4 optimizied build? like not loading an initial page and no pull-down tab to select where to save downloads? just curious, i'd hate to waste the hours to build my own only to find the same troubles. thanks!

I'm having the same problem with the last Aviary Build (1.01). I was using Aviary build for Firefox version 1.0 by powerbook until now and had no such problems...

And I have a very, very newbie question - what's the difference between "trunk", "branch" and "aviary" ? am I right in the assumption that "aviary" means the "last stable version released" ?

thanks and sorry for the stupid question, but I searched the forum and did not really find an answer...
hombrequeso

Post by hombrequeso »

I, too, am not able to get this build to bring up an initial home page; in addition, I can't get any version of the GoogleBar to install and not break the browser. (When I try to install the latest non-dev version, I can't type in any text fields or go to any web pages; when I try to install the latest dev version, I can surf fine, but the Address Bar never fills with any text.)

Installing <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1260770#1260770">ozjason's build</a> went just fine; his build brings up the initial page as it should, and doesn't have any problems with Googlebar. He says that he uses the same build options as pb's build, but clearly, something's different...
hombrequeso

Post by hombrequeso »

Oh -- I should clarify that I tried the newer G4 build here, so the problems I describe occur with that build; combined with bluegel's comment above, I guess it spans both the old and new G4 builds.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@theNonsuch. I simply downloaded firefox-1.0.1-source.tar.bz2.
I've not found the correct CVS command to pull the latest source tree.

@geekiegirl. I dont use this build myself, so I'm not sure if its a known problem/bug.
Does it work as intended with the official 1.0.1 release?

Trunk is the latest development source tree, while Aviary/Branch is the latest stable source tree.
Currently Branch is Firefox 1.0 and its security updates (1.0.1, 1.0.2 etc), while Trunk is going to be Firefox 1.1 and beyond.
Clear enough?

Edit: Its clearly a problem with my build, since three of you report the same problem and its working fine in ozjason's build. I wonder if it because I build from a downloaded 1.0.1 source distribution, while ozjason probably build from CVS?
There there is said to be a 1.0.2 release in a few days. Hopefully it will fix it! :)
hombrequeso

Post by hombrequeso »

Awesome. :)
geekiegirl

Post by geekiegirl »

Thank you for your explanations, powerbook !
And by the way a big thank you too for your G4 optimized builds. I have been using them for quite a while now and now I take the opportunity to thank you for your great work. :)

I will try the official build tomorrow morning and I'll keep you tuned. Meanwhile, until you fix this issue, I still prefer to use one of your optimized builds. So if I want to use a G4 optimized build, which one do you suggest I use ? the trunk one ?
mac girl
geekiegirl

Post by geekiegirl »

Another thing I would like to point out with this Aviary build : it has been said that it's impossible to set a download folder in the preferences. Also, when I start a download (by specifying "save link as", since I can't control where the download goes to), the download window appears, but it's empty. I don't see any progress.

And I can resize the prefs window.

Thought you would like to have this info.
mac girl
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

geekiegirl. No need to test the official builds, as I've verified it myself.

I am pretty sure I've found the problem and I'm currently compiling a new 1.0.1 build.
Hopefully it comes out ok! [-o<

Edit: New builds uploaded. Seems like I fixed the initial page problem (typing error in firefox.js)!
Post back if you still have problems... :)
hombrequeso

Post by hombrequeso »

I can confirm that the fix worked -- for both the initial page problem AND the GoogleBar problem.

Can I ask what the typo was? (It's intriguing to me that it affected the GoogleBar installation!)

Again, awesome.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I forgot to end a line when I added my vendor comment (builders name) to filefirefox.js. ](*,)