Advanced javascript options (new prefs ui only)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Mossop

Advanced javascript options (new prefs ui only)

Post by Mossop »

Since the new preferences window landed on the new trunk, a number of people are complaining that the advanced javascript settings do not exist. Since I had a spare moment I decided to try an extension to fix this. This is the first (beta) release. It adds a new pane to the preferences window with the javascript settings on it.

Oh and Ben is a top man for designing the preferences window in a way that makes it insanely easy to add things like this in.

I have tested it to the point that I can see the prefs being flipped in about:config. I know it needs an icon and it doesn't have an update url or anything so it really is a first draft. Anyone have any comments?

http://www.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/jsoptions/index.html

Interested in knowing whether it works for you? Are the options named correctly, I kind of guessed from the preference names? Any preferences I missed?

Version 0.2 is out now. I have updated the url above to a basic homepage.
Version 0.3 is out now. I am looking for an icon for the options pane, anyone have anything sensible to donate?
Version 0.4 is out now. Auto update is now working and there are more options and better descriptions.
Version 0.5 is out with more options. Probably this is the most that will be settable (since its all that fits in the options dialog!), so once I find an icon this will likely become version 1 and I'll leave it unless there are any bugs found.
Version 0.6 is out to add its own icon and fix a problem with one of the prefs (thanks ColdFusion650).
Version 0.7 is out. Moved the option to enable and disable javascript from the content pane to the JavaScript pane. Had to do some tweaks to enlarge the options window on windows, this may have caused issues on other platforms.
Version 1.0 is out. Big update. Options are now in their own prefs window. Look for the advanced button that has reappeared next to the javascript setting. The options now have a "Revert" button to restore the firefox default settings.

Some people are having trouble with the OK button in the JavaScript options not working. It seems that a clean profile fixes this, but if you are seeing the error, please take a look in your javascript console and post any errors you see related to jsoptions or preferences in this thread.

Mossop
Last edited by Mossop on March 8th, 2005, 11:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I don't have this nightly with the new UI yet, waiting for bugs to settle down some first, but thanks in advance. I will download it for when I do start using the latest nightlys again.
doron

Re: Advanced javascript options (new prefs ui only)

Post by doron »

mossop wrote:Since the new preferences window landed on the new trunk, a number of people are complaining that the advanced javascript settings do not exist. Since I had a spare moment I decided to try an extension to fix this. This is the first (beta) release. It adds a new pane to the preferences window with the javascript settings on it.

Oh and Ben is a top man for designing the preferences window in a way that makes it insanely easy to add things like this in.

I have tested it to the point that I can see the prefs being flipped in about:config. I know it needs an icon and it doesn't have an update url or anything so it really is a first draft. Anyone have any comments?

http://www.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/jsoptions.html

Interested in knowing whether it works for you? Are the options named correctly, I kind of guessed from the preference names? Any preferences I missed?

Version 0.2 is out now. I have updated the url above to a basic homepage.
Version 0.3 is out now. I am looking for an icon for the options pane, anyone have anything sensible to donate?

Mossop

Perhaps make your extension add a button that opens the window - no need for an icon then :)
If you see a marquee, clap your hands!
Mossop

Re: Advanced javascript options (new prefs ui only)

Post by Mossop »

doron wrote:Perhaps make your extension add a button that opens the window - no need for an icon then :)

Naah, I'm far too lazy for that. I would have to Add a button to open a window which would have to be writen with javascript to edit prefs, and probably would ignore the instantApply on preferences. This extension is about as simple as they come all it needs is an icon and its pretty much done.

Mossop
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Just out of curiousity, is it really easy to insert new UI into the Options dialog? I'm starting to get e-mails about folks who want me to integrate TBP into the new Options UI, and I'd like to know how much trouble I'll have.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Its a piece of cake. I sent you an email a few minutes ago suggesting you take a look at how mine does it, but it is really really easy. Feel free to ask if you are having any troubles, I am looking forward to being able to use TBP again ;)

Mossop
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

this is awesome. this morning it was only 0.2. now its 0.5.
JoshPowell

Post by JoshPowell »

Good work.. works good ;) That was kinda redundant I suppose.

Anyhow..

Josh
Josh Powell

---
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050820 Firefox/1.0+
JoshPowell

Post by JoshPowell »

Grrr.. just noticed that all my posts got pruned, thats what I get for not visiting this place often enough ;)

Im a 'new member' again ;)

Josh
Josh Powell

---
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050820 Firefox/1.0+
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Great extension!
But I found one small bug. The icon disappear in the Preferences window on mouse-over, or when I'm inside the JavaScript preferences tab.
I'm using todays Trunk build on Mac OS X.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

problem. when u select "allow scripts to disable or replace context menus" it disables. when u deselect it, it allows it. it seems to be backwards. sort of like https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283610
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

ColdFusion650 wrote:problem. when u select "allow scripts to disable or replace context menus" it disables. when u deselect it, it allows it. it seems to be backwards. sort of like https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283610

Ooops, sorry about that, will be sorted in the next version which shouldnt be long away.

powerbook wrote:But I found one small bug. The icon disappear in the Preferences window on mouse-over, or when I'm inside the JavaScript preferences tab.

Hmm thats an odd one. The next version will have a new icon and a couple of changes to the stylesheet so hopefully that will fix this.

Mossop
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i wish all extension devs worked as quickly as u. 0.2 to 0.6 (projected) in just a few hours.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Ok, 0.6 is out. Powerbook, if you still see the problem you were having let me know.

Mossop
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

mossop, the icon problem is gone with the 0.6 version.
Thanks a lot for your fast fix. :)