Paste special (without formatting)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
TomZilla

Paste special (without formatting)

Post by TomZilla »

Hi.

I just switched to Firefox from Chrome (on Win7).

Firefox is working very well for me - I'm really liking it, except one thing: it doesn't seem to have a paste-without-formatting function.

Am I missing it?

I thought this was pretty standard - all the programs I use support this and, fortunately, they all use Ctrl-Shift-V. I'm so much in the habit of hitting Ctrl-Shift-V that I still haven't adjusted and stopped doing it in FF :D.

So, now I run a text editor and paste the text into that and then copy it from the text editor. That works, but it's a hassle.

Tom
dfoulkes

Re: Paste special (without formatting)

Post by dfoulkes »

According to this doc. Firefox also uses Ctrl+Shift+v ... (Fixed my spelling problem (from Sift to Shift) because somebody was picking on this old man :lol: :lol:
Keyboard shortcuts - Perform common Firefox tasks quickly | Firefox Help

I would give restarting Firefox in safe-mode to see what happens... maybe you installed an extension or ?? that changed things.
Try running Firefox in safe-mode...
On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.

(option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* Disables Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.
Last edited by dfoulkes on February 5th, 2013, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
TomZilla

Post by TomZilla »

Thank you!

By trying your suggestion I determined that an add-on was blocking that key combination.

The only thing I don't get is that the Ctrl-Shift-V now works in some places and not others, e.g. it works on gmail/gdocs, but doesn't work in this reply box.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just to make sure that something (like that ext) hasn't changed anything behind the scenes... you might want to create a test profile to see how it goes... that will at least let you know ... more info?
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Though it probably won't do anything... try this...
From a prior post from Dan Raisch (with minor changes) ...

Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Recent History->select cache->click on "Clear Now" button).

(If using Firefox 3.5.(or above) use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).

Note: The above is for Windows so if you're using a different OS refer to this...mainly the cache part....
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
morat

Post by morat »

TomZilla wrote:only thing I don't get is that the Ctrl-Shift-V now works in some places and not others

The mozillazine reply box is a HTMLTextAreaElement object. The gmail online html editor is a HTMLBodyElement object. There is no need to use Ctrl+Shift+V with plain text only objects.

Are you using the Adblock Plus extension? You can change the Adblock Plus shortcut by editing the extensions.adblockplus.sidebar_key preference. (requires restart)

http://adblockplus.org/en/preferences#sidebar_key