Has the new window glitch been fixed?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
vrm3

Has the new window glitch been fixed?

Post by vrm3 »

I searched the knowledge base and the forum, but could not find out where we are in fixing the glitch on opening links. In the past when I click on a link, Firefox opened the link in a new window which immediately appeared on my screen. After the last upgrade whenever I click on a link, the new page opens BEHIND the page I am viewing. Has this glitch been addressed? Is there a way to get around it? (Firefox version 18.0.1)
JayhawksRock

Re: Has the new window glitch been fixed?

Post by JayhawksRock »

Your "glitch" has never existed for me.... from Firefox 3.5 to 21.0.

Links from the same domain have never opened in a new window. They are opened in the same tab unless forced to open in a new tab by me or by a website. If opened in a new tab, the new tab can be focused or not depending on the way the user changes the setting in the program Options.

Some links maybe open in a small popup window if allowed in the program options. There Never has been a Glitch as you describe. So NOTHING has been fixed

Either you or some extension is messing with the behavior by changing the default settings. Help here > http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab ... =inproduct

Post back if you need any explanation :D
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

James

Post by James »

What Tab related extensions do you have installed and what are your settings in Firefox button (Tools)->Options -> Tabs.
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

I have no Tab related extensions installed. Here are my tab settings:

___ Open newwindows in a newtab instead
X Warn mewhen closing multipletabs
X Warn me when gpening multiple tabs might slow down Firefox
X Always show the tag bar
X Don't load tabs until selected
___ l When I open a link in a newtab, switch to it immediately
___ Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

'Lots' in the English language usually means more than just 30 people shown in those links. Especially out of 300,000+ users.

I'm sure you do have a valid problem, but describing it as 'the new window glitch', as though the whole world knows about it and accepts it as 'the new window glitch' is not really the way to go.

Just ask for help, without the presumption.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

When I searched for information about the problem using Google, I got a lot of hits. Don't take my word for it, see for yourself:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&out ... 82&bih=769

So now that you have finished excoriating me for using the word "lots" in a way that displeases you, do you have any suggestions for solving this apparently miniscule problem?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

vrm3 wrote:So now that you have finished excoriating me for using the word "lots" in a way that displeases you

Who says I've finished. I might choose to objurgate you next.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

According to Bugzilla people, it can't be fixed by Mozilla alone and they are working with Adobe. 768802 – [adbe 3223393] Firefox window loses focus every time Flash plugin processes are (re-)launched

For those who have not experienced this, perhaps you do not have Windows 7?

The workarounds are described in this thread: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/955659
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

Thanks so much for your reply and your links, jscher2000. I really appreciate your effort.

On a hunch, I checked all of my extensions and found that two of my extensions were disabled. (Once was cache view, but I cannot remember the other). I was actually offered the option of deleting the two plug ins, which I did. After doing that the problem virtually disappeared. Simply disabling all my extensions did not work in the past. I will read your links with great interest and will revisit them. I have Windows 7, but the original problem only appeared with Firefox 17. All other versions running on Windows 7 were fine. Adobe has caused folks problems in the past.
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

Is there any fix to this bug? I was wondering if anyone developed an add-on, extension, or plug-in the forcibly prevent the original window from always being on top. The only solution that has worked for me so far is to completely remove the Flash plugin, which off course really screws up browsing. When I say that I have tried everything, I mean everything, including disabling all of my plugins, extensions, and add-ons. Removing Flash completely is the only solution so far. I am using Firefox 30.0 on a Windows 7 machine.
ViperAFK

Post by ViperAFK »

vrm3 wrote:Is there any fix to this bug? I was wondering if anyone developed an add-on, extension, or plug-in the forcibly prevent the original window from always being on top. The only solution that has worked for me so far is to completely remove the Flash plugin, which off course really screws up browsing. When I say that I have tried everything, I mean everything, including disabling all of my plugins, extensions, and add-ons. Removing Flash completely is the only solution so far. I am using Firefox 30.0 on a Windows 7 machine.

You can work around this issue by disabling flash's protected mode (this is mentioned in the above bug's comments, and I've tested it here and it does seem to get rid of the issue): http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Flash_P ... _-_Windows

note: disabling protected mode makes flash on your system more vulnerable to exploits, since it won't be running sandboxed.
vrm3

Post by vrm3 »

Thank you ViperAFK! It worked! I successfully disabled the protected mode on flash and the problem disappeared. I filed a security flaw notice with Adobe about the defect, but suspect I will not hear back from them. Anyway, thanks for the link to that fix!!!!!