Thunderbird not working in Windows 8

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JordiGPS

Thunderbird not working in Windows 8

Post by JordiGPS »

Just migrated to Windows 8 from Win 7

Now using Win 8 64 bit

Thunderbird just works once right after boot. But just once. If I try to download further mails, it just keeps "Connecting to XXX.." for a while until it stops. Nothing downloaded.

After hibernating it never ever works. I must reboot and if I'm lucky, it may download mails.

With uploading mails it's exactly the same.

I tried deinstalling and installed back again. Zero result
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird not working in Windows 8

Post by DanRaisch »

JordiGPS

Post by JordiGPS »

Firewall may have nothing to do. I've deactivated the firewall and same result. I also tried to start Thunderbird in safe mode and no change.

But I can't explain why sometimes it works just right after boot, but just once. I mean that after some mins after downloading mail successfully, I try again to download and stuck again :x
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software are you using? Sometimes deactivating a firewall only deactivates the user interface.
JordiGPS

Post by JordiGPS »

I'm using NIS 2012 as I was when using Win7 for more than a year with no issues.

Futher tests: when I launch theunderbird IMMEDIATELY after booting in Win8 (from the new "tile" window), it works. No problem. But if I close TB and then start it again, then it doesn't work anymore.

In Win8 Safe Mode TB works well
HJB79

Post by HJB79 »

I am having the same problem. I upgraded to Windows 8. Thunderbird worked for 24 hours. From then on, I could send email but could not receive it. The program goes through the motions of connecting to my ISP. If I go to another computer, using the same account, I have no problem downloading and sending.

So, I DE-installed Thunderbird, rebooted and then installed a fresh copy of Thunderbird. It immediately displayed my old email files and commenced downloading my email from the ISP's server. Everything worked fine for about 24 hours, and then I was back to only being able to send and not able to receive.

I deactivated my firewalls and rebooted my router, in both instances, and it did no good. I am a very long-time user and have never had this problem. I attribute it to some incompatibility between Windows 8 and the current version of Thunderbird; or else some bug in the latest Thunderbird release.
HJB79

Post by HJB79 »

This supplements my prior note. I took a tip from a note in this thread, and i booted in safe mode. Thunderbird downloaded my email normally.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Which Safe Mode? Mozilla or Windows?
HJB79

Post by HJB79 »

Windows 8 safe mode. I separately, under windows normal mode, twice used Mozilla safe mode, and there was no change. I again put the machine in Windows safe mode and left it running that way for 8 hours, and the problem did not return during that time.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So now you need to determine what is launching in standard Windows mode that is not active when in Windows Safe Mode. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/safe-mode.htm
HJB79

Post by HJB79 »

For me, at least, it is not that simple. Since this is an email issues, I have to use safeboot with networking. I am not aware of what I can tweak in order to rule in or rule out what may be causing the problem. In addition, it maybe an compatibility between Windows8 and Thunderbird, and that is not likely to show up as something that can be controlled by selective booting.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

This is not a problem we've seen reported by other users of Thunderbird and Windows 8 so it sounds more like something specific to your system.

I still see NIS as a possible source of this issue and suggest that you start by uninstalling Norton (using the uninstall tool from the Symantec site) to see if Norton is involved in the problem. If not you can reinstall it. If the problem is resolved you could replace Norton with freeware security software like Avast and Comodo, both of which are reported to work well with Thunderbird.
HJB79

Post by HJB79 »

Dan Raisch,

Your suggestion was a good one. I de-installed Norton yesterday, with some difficulty, and Thunderbird is back to its usual reliability. I had sworn off Norton years ago; however, it came installed on a new machine and I thought to give it a try. Never again.

Best and many thanks,
HJB79
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're quite welcome.
JordiGPS

Post by JordiGPS »

Hi again,

I confirm it's the combination WIndows 8 - thunderbird - NIS 2012 that does not work. After upgrading to NIS 2013 everything seems to work again normally