Problems with Photobucket

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Thingmaker

Problems with Photobucket

Post by Thingmaker »

Whenever I log into my Photobucket account the page loads, but then it switches to a white screen where it stays. You can quickly hit the stop loading button before it changes to the white screen but you're limited as to what you can then do. Since Photobucket switched to their new site design it no longer works with Camino. Any idea if this will ever be fixed?
cybercat

Re: Problems with Photobucket

Post by cybercat »

Same for me - have been patiently waiting for a reply to this...
All photobucket pages auto-switch to the new beta version within 2-3 seconds, which then change to blank white screen, again in just a couple of seconds. Can't even stay on the new beta pages long enough to fill out the pop-up (java?) window & then click to opt-out of the beta.

Please, is there any fix coming soon, or temporary workarounds we can use in the meantime?
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Have either of you tried Firefox 3.6 to see if it has the same problem?

cl
cybercat

Post by cybercat »

Hi cl,

Many thanks for swift response.

I have Firefox 17.0.1 (no problem).
I just downloaded Firefox 3.6 to check, & Photobucket works fine (both the old & the new beta versions).
(I got it from here - https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.28/mac/en-GB/)

Seems just to be a Camino problem, mine is Camino version 2.1.3pre (1.9.2.29pre 20130107001404) but it's been the same with previous versions.

Bill.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

If Firefox 3.6 works, try spoofing your user-agent as (exactly) whatever the Firefox 3.6 string is. Photobucket might be choking on "Camino/" in the UA string.

cl
Thingmaker

Post by Thingmaker »

Both Firefox and Safari seem to work fine for me with Photobucket (but I just read on another message board that many non-Camino users are experiencing similar problems).

Cflawson- I have no idea how to do what you suggested. Can you be more clear? Thanks.

Sean
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22144/ ... for-camino

is the best way to spoof a different user-agent string. If it doesn't have a Firefox 3.6 preset, let me know and I can explain how to add one.

cl
srf1957

Post by srf1957 »

This seems to work just fine for meVersion 2.1.3pre (1.9.2.29pre 20121229001508)
1.5 Ghz ppc mac mini
tiger 10.4.11
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Might be a good idea to log out, clear all Photobucket-related cookies, and log back in, too. It's fairly unusual for a site to work fine with Firefox 3.6 but not with Camino 2.1.

cl
Thingmaker

Post by Thingmaker »

cflawson wrote:http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22144/user-agent-prefpane-for-camino

is the best way to spoof a different user-agent string. If it doesn't have a Firefox 3.6 preset, let me know and I can explain how to add one.

cl

Installed it and it just gives me an error saying the user agent preference pane couldn't load, though the icon appears on my System Preferences under "other".
dryeburn

Post by dryeburn »

Thingmaker wrote: Installed it and it just gives me an error saying the user agent preference pane couldn't load, though the icon appears on my System Preferences under "other".

You must have put it in the PreferencePanes folder inside the Library that's at the root level of your hard drive (the level where there is a Library folder right beside the Applications, System, and Users folders and perhaps other folders). It does not belong there. Quit Camino if it is running. Take the User Agent.prefPane file out of there and set it aside someplace safe.

Open your Home folder. On my computer that's the David folder inside the Users folder. Yours will be named differently unless your name is also David. Double-click your Home folder. Inside it is a Library folder. This is *NOT* the Library folder at the root of your hard drive. It's a different one. This one, unlike the one at the root level of your hard drive, is the right one. Inside it is an Applications Support folder. Double-click that. Inside it is a Camino folder. Double-click that. Inside it there may or may not already be a PreferencePanes folder. If there isn't one already there, create one by clicking in the white space inside the Camino folder and typing Command-Shift-N; a new folder named untitled folder will be created. Rename it PreferencePanes (without any space between "Preference" and "Panes"). If there already was a PreferencePanes folder inside the Camino folder, don't create a new one; use the old one.

Now that you have a PreferencePanes folder inside the Camino folder inside the Application Support folder inside the Library inside your Home folder, put the file User Agent.prefPane inside that PreferencePanes folder.

Open Camino, type Command-Comma, (use the Command key and the Comma key to the right of the "M" key; don't type the word "Comma") and see if you have a User Agent choice at the top of the resulting window. Click on it, and choose what you want your copy of Camino to pretend to be. But use the Default choice except when you find you MUST have Camino pretend to be something else.
David
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

Or, you could just use UserAgent for Camino.

Download here:

http://derailer.org/useragent/

You will likely want the most recent version. It is a DMG file, with a Read Me included. Dead easy to install. Find the finished results in your Camino preference pane (last item).

Need to get user-agent strings for browsers?

Go here: http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php

So, you find the user-agent string you want to emulate, copy it, and open Camino Prefs. Find the UserAgent pane, and it will likely be defaulting to Camino 2.1.2. Well, there is a long, empty space when you can paste in your new string, name it, and select it. Any time you want to return to Camino 2.1.2 (or any of the other selections which are getting rather old) you can.

For the record, I'm on OS 10.4.11, and all this stuff works just fine. :wink:
dryeburn

Post by dryeburn »

upkeep wrote:Or, you could just use UserAgent for Camino.

Download here:

You will likely want the most recent version. It is a DMG file, with a Read Me included. Dead easy to install. Find the finished results in your Camino preference pane (last item).

I think he tried that, but he didn’t read the Read Me.rtf file and his copy of User Agent.prefPane wound up in the PreferencePanes folder in his main Library. My lengthy instructions were intended to help him undo the damage and put things where they belonged.

But we haven’t heard from him so I suspect he looked at those instructions and just gave up :wink:
David
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

dryeburn wrote:
upkeep wrote:Or, you could just use UserAgent for Camino.

Download here:

I think he tried that, but he didn’t read the Read Me.rtf file and his copy of User Agent.prefPane wound up in the PreferencePanes folder in his main Library. My lengthy instructions were intended to help him undo the damage and put things where they belonged.

But we haven’t heard from him so I suspect he looked at those instructions and just gave up :wink:

Ah . . . sorry. I didn't realize the link that CL mentioned in his first post was the same item I suggested, as the URL was truncated. Sorry for the duplication. :wink: