Firefox 18 slow and laggy UI and scrolling

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gtirloni

Re: Firefox 18 slow and laggy UI and scrolling

Post by gtirloni »

Tried F17, F18 and F19 on Win8 with the latest NVIDIA drivers (v310.90) for my GT540M and all three were very slow. IE10 and Chrome 23 weren't slow but felt strange. Loading Google Docs made all three Firefox versions very slow.

Then I downgraded the NVIDIA drivers and everything is OK again (v310.70). I'll stick with F17 ESR just in case.
byoram02

Post by byoram02 »

I agree, there is something wrong with the Nvidia 310.90, it causes my context menu to load some 5 seconds after I 'right click' rolling back to 310.70 and all works smooth.

This weekend I will try again to go through the profile on FF and other suggestions raised here.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
byoram02

Post by byoram02 »

Gopher John wrote:Nvidia 310.90 is a major security update. http://www.zdnet.com/nvidia-releases-driver-update-to-fix-security-exploit-7000009448/

Nonetheless... read the following post: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... d-of-gpu-/
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

On the Nvidia site, it seems there is a problem with Windows 8 and v310.90 drivers. It's not just Nvidia, but several of the antivirus vendors are having problems with Windows 8. Sadly, Microsoft doesn't fully divulge all changes to software developers in a timely fashion. Windows 8 may be Microsoft's new Vista.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
gtirloni

Post by gtirloni »

Firefox worked fine on Vista, so it's OK I guess ;)

All I know is that NVIDIA broke my system. I'll blame Microsoft at another opportunity.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Microsoft Windows 8 is causing a lot of problems with a lot of software. In time, Nvidia and other software publishers will find a way around undocumented changes that MS has made. It happens with each new Windows release.

Comparing Windows 8 to Vista is another matter. Many people truly hate both those releases, but for different releases. They're dogs, but different.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

It seems that every other release of Windows is bad one followed up by a good one. I went from Windows 98 to Windows XP to Windows 7. If the pattern continues, Windows 9 (or whatever) will be my next one. Although, it tends to do more with what comes on new PCs at the time.
byoram02

Post by byoram02 »

So... I did delete the profile, reset FF, installed the 19 Beta version and then back to 18.0.1 and:

1) the browser performs well
2) the Bookmark tab becomes extremely slow and lagging after several minutes of use..

V17.0.1 - works perfect under the windows 8, not any of the newer versions.

I believe I found one reason why stuff has changed between FF17 and 18. here are couple of links:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/0 ... 65763.html

More on the new Java script..

https://blog.mozilla.org/javascript/201 ... irefox-18/
grigor1651

Post by grigor1651 »

Somebody know is Aurora (v20) have new JavaScript engine? In Aurora performance is very good, it's faster than 17. Firefox 18 and 19 is still laggy and unusable for me.

Edit.
I have solution! I've set layout.frame_rate.precise to true and everything is smooth. I don't know why default value causing lagging.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Try using this add-on which tells the site to send you the mobile version of the page: Go-Mobile
DougGuy

Post by DougGuy »

I had the same lag, Nvidia v3.10.90 and I also have layout.frame_rate.precise=true in my about:config. This seemed to work on FF19 but I went back to 18 and the lag was back again. Nvidia just an hour ago notified me of an updated driver, now using 3.14.07 and it seems to be working nicely with FF18+Windows8 x64.

Also did not like 18.0.2 at all. Seems like there are some inconsistencies in the save as dialogs, for some reason Windows file manager wants to forget paths and even make folders where IT thinks things should go.

How can I specify FF use a different file manager than explorer.exe for file and photo handling? I am using Windows 8 OEM, not Pro, and do not have the gpedit function.